else who had something intelligent to say about playing the horses,
there was a gentlemanly, soft-spoken journalist and author named Dick
Carter, who found playing the horses to be the type of intellectually
stimulating exercise that he craved." Carter was better known by his
pen name – Tom Ainslie
I still have and will always cherish my dog-eared copy of "Ainslie's
Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing". I suggest all those interested
in racing who have not read the man to rectify the condition as soon
as you can get your hands on one of his great books.

R.I.P. Tom. :(

http://tinyurl.com/2bvfhz (http://tinyurl.com/2bvfhz)

Bob

Fastracehorse
09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
His racing scripts were thought provoking to say the least.

I remember he did something unique with the track variant and speed # to come up with selections - very strange but he swore by it.

All The Best to his family during this tough time,

fffastt

john del riccio
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I remeber catching a 50.00 horse at MTH as a kid with my father using his "Private Method" that my POP ended up throwing his form in the garbage after.

It was based on a distance switch.

John

Overlay
09-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I remeber catching a 50.00 horse at MTH as a kid with my father using his "Private Method" that my POP ended up throwing his form in the garbage after.

It was based on a distance switch.

John

John:

I always associated Tom Ainslie with Woodside. Was he the founder (or one of the founders) of it, or what was the nature of his association? Was it through an affiliation with Henry Kuck?

john del riccio
09-14-2007, 08:35 PM
John:

I always associated Tom Ainslie with Woodside. Was he the founder (or one of the founders) of it, or what was the nature of his association? Was it through an affiliation with Henry Kuck?

Overlay,

Ainsle was the founder of Milwood Associates. Henry & Sandra Kuck joined Millwood when the Ainsle-Kuck ratings were born. When they moved to the Queens area from upstate NY, they changed the biz name and the ratings became just the Henry Kuck Ratings.

As an aside, I became a subscriber in 1988, became Henry's protege' in 1996, and took over the production of the ratings in 1998 after Henry passed away.
Both of these guys were class acts and both pioneers and innovators. I was very lucky to have known them.

John

formula_2002
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
First horse racing handicapping book I ever read " Ainslie's Complete Guide To Guide To Thoroughbred Racing", at just about the time it was published, late '60's.

Brings back a lot of memories!!

My best to his family.

Joe M

Overlay
09-14-2007, 09:41 PM
John:

Thanks for the clarification/memory jogger.

Turntime
09-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Somehow a copy of Ainslies 'Theory and Practice of Handicapping" found it's way to our house when I was barely a teenager and I remember reading it over and over. It was this one book that convinced me that handicapping could be a meaningful pursuit. I still bring it out from time to time, transporting myself back to the beginning of what has been a long and rewarding journey.

john del riccio
09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Has anyone read this book that Ainslie wrote in 1985. I beleiev that it influenced my way of handicapping the races in a very big way.

John

Dan Montilion
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Has anyone read this book that Ainslie wrote in 1985. I beleiev that it influenced my way of handicapping the races in a very big way.

John
Modern Handicapping: Facts Beats Fantasy. I have mentioned this book (actually more of a pamphlet) to other handicappers. It seems nobody recalls this book. This was the only Ainsle work that I ever tossed. The book came across as a cranky old timer not too happy with some of the handicapping ideas being written about at that time.

Bill Olmsted
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
It was this one book that convinced me that handicapping could be a meaningful pursuit. I still bring it out from time to time, transporting myself back to the beginning of what has been a long and rewarding journey.

Amen.

john del riccio
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Modern Handicapping: Facts Beats Fantasy. I have mentioned this book (actually more of a pamphlet) to other handicappers. It seems nobody recalls this book. This was the only Ainsle work that I ever tossed. The book came across as a cranky old timer not too happy with some of the handicapping ideas being written about at that time.

WOW, I guess, I am an easy guy to please. I actually gleaned alot from this one.

John