PDA

View Full Version : Today's History - Sept. 12th

billrock
09-12-2007, 03:00 AM
On this date in 1894 Alix equalled Nancy Hanks' trotting world record of 2:04 at Terre Haute, Indiana.

On this date in 1944 a dead-heat for win and show occurred in the eighth race at Hawthorne.

On this date in 1970 Nijinsky II won the St. Leger Stakes and became the 15th winner of England's triple crown.

On this date in 1973, fully recovered from a virus that had beset him at Saratoga, Secretariat worked five furlongs in :57 as his last preparation for the Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap.

On this date in 2000 a colt by Storm Cat was purchased for $6.8 million at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale. It was the highest price paid for a yearling since 1985.

toetoe
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Interesting, Bill, that 63 years later ANOTHER dead heat-for-win and dead heat-for-show situation occurred; just this last August 19 at Monmouth. i thought it was a triple heater for the win, as all three in the company line had DH in front of their names. I thought, "Where's the publicity ?"

Kelso
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Interesting, Bill, that 63 years later ANOTHER dead heat-for-win and dead heat-for-show situation occurred; just this last August 19 at Monmouth. i thought it was a triple heater for the win, as all three in the company line had DH in front of their names. I thought, "Where's the publicity ?"

I was at MTH for the Win/Show DH, and also for the 1/1A entry that DH'd to win earlier in the meet. Nothing much was made of either on-track ... at least not in the grandstand area. Didn't realize how unusual either was until I read about them here at PA.