PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching the world series of poker?

JPinMaryland
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I realize they are going to drag out the airing of this for quite some time but it is still interesting to watch. They have only showed the first day and possibly the second in the last two weeks its been on. Gawd! They are dragging this out. Someone said that they will not show the final table until OCtober. True?

I think maybe the fan base has peaked for this sport. I think the players for the main event has leveled off this year and last and you just wonder how much further they can build it.

Does the number of amateurs winning this thing create a feeling that Hold Em is maybe more fate than skill? Or are talented amateurs really just as good as pros? Or maybe it is just a question of boldness and emotional control since most players can do the math. I dunno.

Still a lot of pros left in the tourney. I think Huck Seed, Scotty Nguyen and one or two others are leading that group.

If you already know who won, I would suggest not saying it or posting a spoiler alert or something.

boomman
09-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I realize they are going to drag out the airing of this for quite some time but it is still interesting to watch. They have only showed the first day and possibly the second in the last two weeks its been on. Gawd! They are dragging this out. Someone said that they will not show the final table until OCtober. True?

I think maybe the fan base has peaked for this sport. I think the players for the main event has leveled off this year and last and you just wonder how much further they can build it.

Does the number of amateurs winning this thing create a feeling that Hold Em is maybe more fate than skill? Or are talented amateurs really just as good as pros? Or maybe it is just a question of boldness and emotional control since most players can do the math. I dunno.

Still a lot of pros left in the tourney. I think Huck Seed, Scotty Nguyen and one or two others are leading that group.

If you already know who won, I would suggest not saying it or posting a spoiler alert or something.

I won't rain on your parade and tell you who won if you really don't know, but the champion was crowned on July 17, so I assume most people know by now who that was. And as far as dragging it out goes, they have done that more so this year than in the past. It's ok to show re-runs from time to time, but when you're still watching the 1st day action in September, that's way too much!! And as far as amateurs winning the event, Jamie Gold proved beyond a shadow of a doubt (as did Chris Moneymaker a few years earlier who is now playing 1-5 no limit cash games after winning 2 mil) that ANYONE can win the WSOP if they get lucky enough! Gold was behind in virtually every hand he took to the flop last year and was flopping hands like they were taking requests for his personal "flop". He was eliminated early this year as I suspect he will be for the rest of his playing days. The fact that his partner had to sue him to recover his share of the prize money left a sour taste in everyone's mouth as well.................

Boomer

rrbauer
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Poker tournaments and 24/7 online poker have closed the gap between the "pro" and the "amateur" where playing skill is concerned. The nuance side of the game (read: betting and bankroll management, bluffing, table sense) only comes from playing thousands of hands with top players for real money.

I watched a session last night (Tues) where an all-in pocket-pair of aces against a pocket-pair of queens got gutted when the first two cards on the flop was another pair of queens! "Locks" in poker often suffer the same fate as they do in horse racing!

boomman
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Poker tournaments and 24/7 online poker have closed the gap between the "pro" and the "amateur" where playing skill is concerned. The nuance side of the game (read: betting and bankroll management, bluffing, table sense) only comes from playing thousands of hands with top players for real money.

I watched a session last night (Tues) where an all-in pocket-pair of aces against a pocket-pair of queens got gutted when the first two cards on the flop was another pair of queens! "Locks" in poker often suffer the same fate as they do in horse racing!

Richard: Yep they finally went to a "new" show where they had knocked down to the final 400 and something and everyone was in the money, and I saw that joker flop those 4 queens, too. (What a gracious winner, huh? The guys were staring him down with that clown act he brought to the table, but the guy with the 2 aces took it gracefully)...As I said earlier, luck really plays into the WSOP, as it seems like guys with an 80% hand advantage get drawn out on on a regular basis! And as far as the horse racing analogy, that's why DEMANDING value is so important in my wagers. Hope to see you at Tampa again this winter! Maybe we'll find another longshot or two!;)

Boomer

OTM Al
09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
There is a strange hypnotic quality to these shows and you must repeatedly tell your self that you are watching people play cards before you can slip from the daze and take your eyes from the TV.....

Anyone catch the World Series of Dominos they were showing last year? Big programming on the Ocho there, but let me tell you, emotions ran high on that one.

Ok, I will quit mocking people who like these shows now as I am sure I watch something you think is equally as stupid.

rrbauer
09-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Cards around the table. Horses around the track.

From a viewer perspective I don't see much difference.

Scav
09-18-2007, 12:17 AM
"Locks" in poker often suffer the same fate as they do in horse racing!

EXTREMELY well said, couldn't have said this better.

harnesslover
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM

True, but like horses if you play the probabilities well and focus on situations where you have a perceived advantage, you should win in the long run.

100 hands of AA versus QQ preflop will obviously turn out a much greater winning % for the AA hand.

njcurveball
09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
True, but like horses if you play the probabilities well and focus on situations where you have a perceived advantage, you should win in the long run.

Unless they are Harness Races where the drivers are all in on the bet. :lol:

harnesslover
09-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Unless they are Harness Races where the drivers are all in on the bet. :lol:

If you feel this way, you shouldn't ever bet a single dollar on any gambling event ever again.

njcurveball
09-18-2007, 03:18 PM
If you feel this way, you shouldn't ever bet a single dollar on any gambling event ever again.

EXACTLY why I do NOT bet Harness any more. :mad: