PDA

View Full Version : Horseplayer Magazine

banacek
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I haven't subscribed to Horseplayer magazine for a few years. I got irritated with the issues always coming late (e.g. Kentucky Derby preview in mid May), too many glossy advertisements, and articles not really up to snuff - I guess I was looking for something more cutting edge.

I am curious if that has changed much. Any of you that subscribe, what is "Horseplayer" like these days. Is it a worthwhile read for an experienced handicapper?

Thanks

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm still a subscriber after all these years. Delivery times have improved....no more getting the Derby or BC issue after the event is run....

It's a glossy magazine, so of course all the ads will be glossy as well...:lol:

As for the articles, here's the list of major articles and handicapping features from the most recent issue (July/August 2007) whose cover read "Racing Then & Now":

Racing Then & Now stories:

Cover Story: Racing Then & Now
Synthetic Surfaces: A problem, symptom, or just another surface? (Part III of IV) by Ed De'ath
Betting Exchanges: Are they the 'next' in the discussion of racing then & now? by Jon Forbes
Today, horseplayers CAN make a difference by Cheryl Tayala
Handicapping Features:

How The Experts Do It (featuring Jeff Siegel)
Fourplay: Featuring Ellis Park, Emerald Downs, Fort Erie and Monmouth
Taste of Del Mar (with HP Insider Toby Turrell)
Track Focus: Del Mar
Taste of Saratoga (with HP Insider Jason Blewitt)
Track Focus: Saratoga

Tom
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I still get it, but am seriously deciding whether to renew.
If it's first few issues were rated as 10's, the lastest have to be 1's. It so rarea to find stuff in there about horseplaying anymore. Overall, it is a huge disappointment. JMHO, but ATM is 100% better.

SignUpKing
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes, American Turf Monthly is a far superior publication.

point given
09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Handicapping Features:

How The Experts Do It (featuring Jeff Siegel)
Fourplay: Featuring Ellis Park, Emerald Downs, Fort Erie and Monmouth
Taste of Del Mar (with HP Insider Toby Turrell)
Track Focus: Del Mar
Taste of Saratoga (with HP Insider Jason Blewitt)
Track Focus: Saratoga

'

With Jason Blewitt as the HP Insider for Saratoga - Nuf ' said -he is a young smartass who has little experience or knowledge of the game. When he is on the tv feed i turn off the sound, he is so annoying. I will listen to most anyone who has a smidgeon of smarts, feeling i might pick up something along the way. BUT , there is nothing to learn with him, just noise. He is more a PR flack and has very little handicapping skill at all. He should team up with Jerry Blowhard, er.. Bossert of the NY Daily News for the all know nothing team in NY. Bring back Pack ! Theres got to be someone out there better than this duo of The Mouth Blewitt & and The Undertaker Donovan . Kinda feel sorry for donovan.

Vigors
09-11-2007, 12:12 AM
....don't you think Tod Scrupp would make this a perfect :

" MURDERDER'S ROW " ???

......as you would have to search far and wide ( along with turning over

a many a stone ) to find 3 more enept mouthpiece's of this sport !

BillW
09-11-2007, 12:16 AM
'

Theres got to be someone out there better than this duo of The Mouth Blewitt & and The Undertaker Donovan . Kinda feel sorry for donovan.

There was. :rolleyes:

banacek
09-11-2007, 12:18 AM
JMHO, but ATM is 100% better.

So a couple of votes for ATM. That is surprising, although I haven't looked at one for years. Back then it seemed to me like it was full of retread articles. Has it changed that much?

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2007, 01:48 AM
With Jason Blewitt as the HP Insider for Saratoga - Nuf ' said -he is a young smartass who has little experience or knowledge of the game.He's been one of the on-air handicapper for NYRA for many, many years now....so you're way off base on the experience part. As for his actual knowledge, I wouldn't know, as I haven't tracked his picks. Have you?

point given
09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
He's been one of the on-air handicapper for NYRA for many, many years now....so you're way off base on the experience part. As for his actual knowledge, I wouldn't know, as I haven't tracked his picks. Have you?

Correct me if i'm wrong. John Imbriale was Harvey Packs fill in, and fillin track caller for NYRA. When the NYRA "brains", retired HP, Imbriale took over and Blewitt came on board under his wing. Imbriale left for a year when the nyra pension fund was under water, with the scandals etc. since he has a couple of kids . Blewitt stepped in last year, when Imbriale left, then NYRA started to get a little healthier and Imbriale cameback. Blewitt has not been there that long.

THE RECORD OF BLEWITT -

Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Jason Blewitt, a communications assistant for the New York Racing Association,

profiles jockey Edgar Prado, who will ride Harlan's Holiday for trainer Ken McPeek.

By Jason Blewitt .............

Then in 2004 was a NYRA writer/publicist..

http://www.ieah.com/html/empty.gif
A One Rocket entered Sunday, likely to scratch
By Michael Sherack
02-13-2004

A One Rocket (http://www.ieah.com/cgi-bin/stable_roster.cgi?horse=1000017), a winner of two of three starts since claimed by IEAH ..

The following article was written by NYRA's Jason Blewitt, appears on www.nyra.com (http://www.nyra.com/), and mentions IEAH Stables' A One Rocket in a favorable light:

By Jason Blewitt, NYRA
Gary Contessa has won nearly a dozen New York-bred stakes .......

So - in 2005 he joined Imbriale on tv, as he was getting ready to leave, and took over in approx. 2006 for the telecasts / handicapping.

IMHO, he should stick to writing/ publicity. Someone got him in the nyra door as a communications assistant, wrote some articles and landed in the catbird seat when left vacant. His handicapping is obvious chalk, he is a motor mouth and adds little. alot of ego and no substance, but each to his own. I turn off the sound, but hard to do on track with the PA system.

aaron
09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Since Harvey Pack left NYRA has been very weak in the department of on the air personalities.
NYRA used to have Harvey Pack,Paul Cornman, Little Andy, and Mike Watchmaker at various times. What they have now is a weak roster. Monmouth has Brad Thomas and there is no one at NYRA who even comes close to him.

point given
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Since Harvey Pack left NYRA has been very weak in the department of on the air personalities.
NYRA used to have Harvey Pack,Paul Cornman, Little Andy, and Mike Watchmaker at various times. What they have now is a weak roster. Monmouth has Brad Thomas and there is no one at NYRA who even comes close to him.

Maybe with a reconstituted NYRA. managment will spend the $$ to adsress this and other areas for improvement. The video coverage at Belmont needs alot of upgrading, as you can barely see the horses they are so far away and small. Then the running position of horses during a race is always a joke. How about the chicklets ? A major shakeup is needed there.

dylbert
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I really enjoy Capital OTB on air talent. Well-experienced, fan friendly hosts of its shows. Mark Cusano, Michael Veitch, Nick Kling and Tom Amello provide valuable information to their viewers. Anthony Mormeno, Seth Merrow, and others offer some solid handicapping information.

NYRA would do well to integrate these folks into their broadcasts. I would keep Jan Rushton because of her hats and SUNDRESSES! She does credible job with interviews as well. Jason Blewitt and Eric Donavan couldn't pick winner in walkover... :lol:

Steve Byk from At the Races and DerbyTrail.com is outstanding radio host and has done well as Saratoga on-air personality. He adds wit and intelligence that some shows lack. He offer insights that many public handicapping simply miss or don't do work to uncover.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Blewitt stepped in last year, when Imbriale left, then NYRA started to get a little healthier and Imbriale cameback. Blewitt has not been there that long.Maybe it just SEEMS he's been there forever....but seriously, he's been on TV for more than just a year or two. Maybe he wasn't the lead guy, but he was on with Imbriale quite often if I remember correctly.

point given
09-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Maybe it just SEEMS he's been there forever....but seriously, he's been on TV for more than just a year or two. Maybe he wasn't the lead guy, but he was on with Imbriale quite often if I remember correctly.

I've tried to search out information on the NYRA organizational structure without success. Maybe i need to contact Getnick & Getnick. One would think that in todays world , this hierarchal tree of each department and who reports to whom would be commomplace. BTW - i think you're correct.... it just seems Blewitt has been there forever, when in fact he has not. Never a good sign. NYRA is just looking for warm bodies to fill slots here and i also have a feeling that the old boy network is still firmly in place at nyra, hence we get what we get.:eek: