PDA

View Full Version : Green Monkey?

Skanoochies
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Our local paper this morning stated the G. M. is entered to race this weekend at Belmont. Is this true? ( Hope this is the right place to ask.) :confused:

Skanoochies
09-07-2007, 10:35 PM
OOPS! Just checked entries for Bel. Not in. Guess Wolski had a few cool ones yesterday. :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
09-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Zippy CHippy has the USA record for loses, and TGM is going for the record for false starts!!LOL!!

KingChas
09-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Has anyone actually ever seen "The Green Monkey"?
Does this creature exsist?
Or is he an urban legend?
:bang: :lol: :bang:

Bruddah
09-08-2007, 08:59 AM
that the Green Monkey was a a green lemon. It's sad for the connections to have spent $16 million plus for a horse that will never win a race. Or, maybe they start him and he comes up lame for life. I wouldn't want to be the insurance company covering the GM. The odds are much less for them eventually paying off a claim, than the GM breaking his maiden and having a racing career. Heck, they can't neuter the horse. Has anyone heard if he is sterile? In this case, he is worth more dead than alive. :(

KingChas
09-08-2007, 09:27 AM
The odds are much less for them eventually paying off a claim, than the GM breaking his maiden and having a racing career. :(

Perhaps they should ship him to Timonium? :D

Kelso
09-08-2007, 03:41 PM
It's sad for the connections to have spent $16 million plus for a horse that will never win a race.

I can't feel sorry for anybody who can afford to spend $16 mil on anything. They didn't put it in my pocket, so ... let 'em eat oats! :D

joanied
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
That's what they get naming a 16 million dollar horse Green :lol: Monkey...
but, it would be interesting to actually see the horse in a race.

Premier Turf Club
09-08-2007, 04:57 PM
On of my partners talked to a private clocker last year in NY that said the horse had no dirt action, was very weak behind and if he very amounted to anything it was turf or nothing. Shortly thereafter they took him out of training with a pulled glute muscle.

My understanding is he is still having trouble behind and that he hurts himself when they push him in training.

joanied
09-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, I read that also...about the GM being sore in behind...didn't read about his not doing well on dirt...maybe they need to try him over PolyTrack.
It would be really cool, though, to see this horse :jump: get to the races!!

classhandicapper
09-09-2007, 09:46 AM
My understanding is he is still having trouble behind and that he hurts himself when they push him in training.

It can't be too bad because he's working very steadily.

I still think if they don't think he can come out running fairly well, they will not embarass him and reduce his value. He'll be retired "with an injury".

DanG
09-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Am I the only one who hopes he wins his debut by ‘20?

I guess it’s the contrarian in me with so many people wishing ill on the animal.

cj's dad
09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Wait'Perhaps they should ship him to Timonium? :D

Timonium is closed until next August. Maybe he'll be ready by then.:lol:

Spendabuck85
09-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Unraced three-year-old THE GREEN MONKEY (Forestry), who sold for a world-record $16 million at auction in 2006, worked a half-mile from the gate in :47. The dark bay colt is expected to make his career debut during the current Belmont meet.

KingChas
09-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one who hopes he wins his debut by ‘20?

I guess it’s the contrarian in me with so many people wishing ill on the animal.

No ill will here Dan,I wish him the best also. :ThmbUp:
Just seems to me this young :confused: horse has been around for a lot more years than he actually is old.
With the many anticiposting's on him.

I can see the future ads now; Now standing at (fill in)_______ the Green Monkey.
Wouldv'e been the greatest racehorse ever had he ever made it to the racetrack. :faint:
A legend we shall see ?..... Maybe
An Urban Legend perhaps as previously opined. :eek:

DanG
09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Just seems to me this young :confused: horse has been around for a lot more years than he actually is old.
That’s the truth Chas…

This will without a doubt be the most anticipated / hyped 3yo+ MSW in history! (Assuming he ever runs) :D

Edward DeVere
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=classhandicapper]

I still think if they don't think he can come out running fairly well, they will not embarass him and reduce his value. [QUOTE]

Pletcher has already said, on more than one occasion, that he won't run the horse unless he believes it will win.

joanied
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I do hope the colt gets to run...when I do read something about his training, he seems to do very well in his morning works...
can someone remind me who his trainer is....I can't remember who has him?
I do hope he finally gets to start (at Belmont) and I do hope he wins first asking...I stand by my remark about his name...and when he was sold and I read his name, well I nearly barfed....couldn't imagaine reading the headlines...'Green Monkey wins Derby"....it really is one of the most awful names ever given a horse.

Anyway...bottom line is I think we all would love to see this fella run and win...many times.
Truth be known....I feel rather sorry for him, if he's a class colt, he knows what he's supposed to be doing and must be quite frustrated about it all.

gIracing
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
does he?

I gotta tell ya.. I've seen him work and he looks pathetic.

he's always sore, and anything over 3F stresses him out. As one of their stablepeople put it "he's just not ready for anything more than what he's been asked yet"

he's just not that damn good.

rokitman
09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Sumbody thought their $16 million horse should be named Green Monkey? :D

Semipro
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
They named him that because that's the color of the MONKEY ON HIS BACK.

Ron
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
does he?

I gotta tell ya.. I've seen him work and he looks pathetic.

he's always sore, and anything over 3F stresses him out. As one of their stablepeople put it "he's just not ready for anything more than what he's been asked yet"

he's just not that damn good.

How did you see him work, you don't live anywhere near Saratoga or Belmont.

Bruddah
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM
at this point, I have to question whether he likes girls. He obviously has tremendous pedigree potential or he woudn't have been considered a multi million dollar purchase, by several bidders. The pedigree is still there, even if the GM never runs a race. No owner could hope to recoup this kind of money on racing purses alone. Not even if he were a Triple Crown winner.

The double whammie on this investment is, the Green Monkey may also be light in the hooves (loafers), or sterile. At this point they can't afford to neuter him. Certainly, at age four, they know the answers to both of these questions. :confused:

Tom
09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Reminds me of this old story:

A couple of unknown out-of-towners show up at Sartoga with a 6 yeaer old maiden. They enter him in a MSW and he goes off at 40-1. The gate opens and the old feller airs by 15, setting a track record for 5 panels.

The stewards call the two to their office.

"How is that a horse this fast never started until he was 6 yeaers old?" the wanted to know.

The one owner smiles and says." He was 5 before we could catch him!" :D

Frank Angst
09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Lol, some on here act like this is the only 3yo Coolmore has running.

Just off the top of my head I can think of graded stakes winners Ravel, purchased as a yearling; and Belgravia, purchased at two. There is stakes winner Pavarotti, purchased as a yearling, and a classic winning filly named Rags to Riches, purchased as a yearling, who come to mind.

Throw in homebred Circular Quay and I think the Irish are just fine this year. I haven't even started thinking about their European-based horses.

I know it's fun to poke fun at the rich when they're off, but buying horses is not about any single horse and I think Coolmore has a very strong track record.

Just trying to throw some reality into the all of this, sorry. lol

Premier Turf Club
09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

A couple of unknown out-of-towners show up at Sartoga with a 6 yeaer old maiden. They enter him in a MSW and he goes off at 40-1. The gate opens and the old feller airs by 15, setting a track record for 5 panels.

"How is that a horse this fast never started until he was 6 yeaers old?" the wanted to know.

:lol: That is a great story. Is it true (At least the part about a 6YO maiden winning off and setting a track record) or is it just an urban legend?

Either way I LMFAO.

Ron
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
at this point, I have to question whether he likes girls.

Now where would you come up with this? Did you run in front of The Green Monkey in your filly suit?

Bruddah
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
:D I apologize, if my Light in the loafers remark offended you. Seriously, there was no intent to offend your sexual preference. If you and the Green Monkey don't like girls, it just leaves more for those of us who do. :kiss: :kiss:

cj's dad
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Sumbody thought their $16 million horse should be named Green Monkey? :D

Did this colt actually cost $16M in cash or were there contingencies written in to the transaction that could bring the total cost to $16M.

What I'm getting at is simple, I think. It takes a lot of winning (purse money) or at least winning some "big ones" (triple crown events, Breeders cup, etc...) to bring a sizeable stud fee.

$16 million just doesn't add up for me; what am I missing:confused:

classhandicapper
09-10-2007, 12:31 PM

That was among the funniest horse racing jokes I ever heard. Thanks for that laugh. It was good one. :lol:

joanied
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Well we are getting all sorts of replies here on the GM.... and one or two that are less than polite...which I'll stay away from.

I won't coment on the GM's possibly being sterile...but I have no doubt he was checked right after purchase because as some members said, he'd never win enough running to cover his pricetag...no doubt, Coolmore was looking towards the future and breeding fees....he does have the pedigree!!

If someone here really did see him on the track in the mornings and talked to the barn help, not sure his take on the GM's works would be acurate or just his opinion....the few times I've seen posted for his work times seem Ok to me...but, ya never know.

I just think the entire situation is rather sad....not for Coolmore, they have more moeny than the world allows...but for the horse, and race fans.

my 2cents :)

46zilzal
09-10-2007, 02:21 PM
ever go to the track at Casper Wyo??

joanied
09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
zilzal,

Nope.... too far from me. I live at the Northern border of WY, and Casper is too far to drive to see the 'small time' races...
but...I live about 90 miles from Billings, Montana, and this coming weekend I'll be at Yellowstone Downs...very small time track...mixed race card...QH's, Paints, TB's....it's a small, not very attractive place...but it runs horses and it's all I got :(

Someday, I'll get back to NY and Belmont for a day at the races...I have a bottle on my desk with dirt from the Belmont track....now, how silly is that?
I miss it.

46zilzal
09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll be at Yellowstone Downs...very small time track...mixed race card...QH's, Paints, TB's....it's a small, not very attractive place...but it runs horses and it's all I got

Take a photo and post it as none of us has ever gone there.

Thanks in advance.

46zilzal
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
.I have a bottle on my desk with dirt from the Belmont track....now, how silly is that?
I miss it.
Not silly at all. I was at closing day at Longacres and many many individuals did that very thing as an honor to the memory of a great race place. Do Dah Do Dah.

joanied
09-10-2007, 03:02 PM
:) zolzal,

Thanks....I'll treasure :ThmbUp: that Belmont dirt til I die!!

Photo of Yellowstone Downs...consider it done!! (ya ain't missin' nothin')

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2007, 01:21 AM
:D I apologize, if my Light in the loafers remark offended you. Seriously, there was no intent to offend your sexual preference. If you and the Green Monkey don't like girls, it just leaves more for those of us who do. :kiss: :kiss:

I think you're misreading what Ron wrote. I don't think he was offended by your comment at all....he was just wondering why you would come to such a conclusion at this point in time.

WJ47
09-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I've been eager for the Green Monkey to run too. It sounds like he's not a very sound horse. You'd think with his breeding that he'd have to have some racing talent. I suspect that they're more interested in breeding him in the future than trying to run him now and risk an injury. Hopefully he can stay sound long enough to get a few races before he's whisked to the breeding shed.

As far as infertility, isn't it really rare for a stallion to be sterile or uninterested in mating? I know that War Emblem and Cigar had problems, but were there many other champions who couldn't be bred? I remember at our horse barn, the stallions were lusty beyond belief.

Bruddah
09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
I think you're misreading what Ron wrote. I don't think he was offended by your comment at all....he was just wondering why you would come to such a conclusion at this point in time.

In my original post, I layed out my reasons why I came to my
conclusions. :confused:

at this point, I have to question whether he likes girls. He obviously has tremendous pedigree potential or he woudn't have been considered a multi million dollar purchase, by several bidders. The pedigree is still there, even if the GM never runs a race. No owner could hope to recoup this kind of money on racing purses alone. Not even if he were a Triple Crown winner.

The double whammie on this investment is, the Green Monkey may also be light in the hooves (loafers), or sterile. At this point they can't afford to neuter him. Certainly, at age four, they know the answers to both of these questions.

I think Ron was making his usual smart $ss remarks. I think my answer was appropriate.__________________

Bruddah
09-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Now where would you come up with this? Did you run in front of The Green Monkey in your filly suit?

This is the oroginal post Ron made to me. He got back from me, what he put out. He wasn't curious about a damn thing, other than making a smart ass remark. :kiss: :kiss:

jma
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
In my original post, I layed out my reasons why I came to my
conclusions. :confused:

The double whammie on this investment is, the Green Monkey may also be light in the hooves (loafers), or sterile. At this point they can't afford to neuter him. Certainly, at age four, they know the answers to both of these questions.

I think Ron was making his usual smart $ss remarks. I think my answer was appropriate.__________________

Your post didn't deserve more than a smart ass remark, because it's idiotic. The horse hasn't raced yet due to constant injuries and was a terrible investment...which means to you he's gay? Think how silly you sound.

WJ47
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I think there is a difference between being gay and simply being uninterested in females and breeding. I've heard that War Emblem shows little interest in mares, but I haven't heard that he is mounting stallions or geldings or engaging in homosexual activities.

Obviously given a crystal ball, no one would have paid $16 million for the Green Monkey. Sometimes an investment goes bad and I'm sure Coolmore had enough good investments to make up for this one. Maybe the Green Monkey will turn out to be a monster in the breeding shed and produce champions. Or maybe not.

joanied
09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
:) Well, one thing that's good is that the GM is in Pletcher's barn, so he is in good hands...
I wonder if they have tried equine massage on the colt...since his problems seem to stem from his hind end, not his legs?
About his price tag, someone mentioned did they actually pay 16 mil for him...I beleive they did...cold, hard cash. Another mentioned it being a 'bad' investment...who knew he'd turn out to have so many issues with his hind end...he was xrayed, scoped, xrayed again ect ect...so they bought themselves a sound youngster that breezed in fantastic time and looked like a million bucks...ooopppsss...16 million bucks!!
Anytime you buy a young horse it's a gamble...but, hey....these guys can afford that type of gamble. Everyone (at the sales) knows about several other multi million dollar horses that didn't amount to diddly...so this ain't the first time.

They do need to get a few wins with the GM...and even with that, I can't imagine him ever getting back much of that 16 mil...a Storm Cat, AP Indy or Mr.P he ain't!!!
I would also bet they had him checked out for breeding purposes right after they bought him...and I'd also bet, if they put him in a stall next to a filly in heat...he'd act just like any other colt....I suspect, if he never races, they will have to support him heavily with their own mares, and hope he gets a few good ones from his first crop.

Anyway...it's interesting following this colts progress...or lack ;) there of!!!

Ron
09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I think there is a difference between being gay and simply being uninterested in females and breeding. I've heard that War Emblem shows little interest in mares, but I haven't heard that he is mounting stallions or geldings or engaging in homosexual activities.

Obviously given a crystal ball, no one would have paid $16 million for the Green Monkey. Sometimes an investment goes bad and I'm sure Coolmore had enough good investments to make up for this one. Maybe the Green Monkey will turn out to be a monster in the breeding shed and produce champions. Or maybe not.

How can anyone infer that due to training injuries the horse is gay or sterile? Why is this even part of the conversation?

Tom
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
He might just have a wide stance in the paddock. His hoof unintentionally went into the other paddock and touched War Emblem's hoof.

joanied
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree....the GM's status as Mr. Studly has nothing to do with his race training...except that it may have gotten into the thread because it looks like they may never get him to the races and will stand him on his pedigree alone...otherwise, it really has nothing to do with his 'lameness' issues!!

:)

WJ47
09-12-2007, 01:56 PM
How can anyone infer that due to training injuries the horse is gay or sterile? Why is this even part of the conversation?

I don't think the horse is gay or sterile. I actually think that is quite a rarity as far as horses go. :)

Bruddah
09-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Your post didn't deserve more than a smart ass remark, because it's idiotic. The horse hasn't raced yet due to constant injuries and was a terrible investment...which means to you he's gay? Think how silly you sound.

because Ron didn't agree with my assumptions. It's ok for him to insult me with his insulting reference to me wearing a filly suit. He made no other points in his post. No facts to base his contention which supported his only assumption that I was wrong and he was right.

I really have to say, you are the silliest of all, even Ron. You two are a couple Marooons.

You two are the one's out of line. I just respond to your idiocy, which stops with this post.

Good luck, which you both need, desperately. :kiss: :kiss: :D

ryesteve
09-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I nominate this as the most bizarre thread of the year.

joanied
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey guys,
I'm gonna stick my nose in here....do we need to get out the boxing ;) gloves?
Come on now....let's qiut this negative stuff...
and I don't mind telling ya...I thought the remark about the 'filly suite' was hysterical:D

No more nit-pickin'
:lol:

WJ47
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
It is a funny thread. I guess the very thought of the $16 million dollar Green Monkey brings out the madness in us! :)

CryingForTheHorses
09-12-2007, 03:50 PM
that the Green Monkey was a a green lemon. It's sad for the connections to have spent $16 million plus for a horse that will never win a race. Or, maybe they start him and he comes up lame for life. I wouldn't want to be the insurance company covering the GM. The odds are much less for them eventually paying off a claim, than the GM breaking his maiden and having a racing career. Heck, they can't neuter the horse. Has anyone heard if he is sterile? In this case, he is worth more dead than alive. :(

Geeze Bruddah,Thats a tuff post...Please remember that young horses sometimes take a lot more time then others,I myself have a nice 2yo already at the races and the other one sent back home to grow and mature..15M is a lot of money and to rush this horse would make everything wrong.Being thu the sales and running like a striped ape going 1/8ths in 9 and change probally took some toll on his young legs. Give him a chance before he is knocked..Not his fault he brought 15m..Thanks

Pace Cap'n
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Are there any notable un-raced sires?

46zilzal
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Are there any notable un-raced sires?
Danzig only had a few and there are many that retired after their two year old season.

Storm Cat: The dark bay/brown horse had modest success in racing, winning the Grade I 1985 Young American Stakes at The Meadowlands and finishing second by a nose to Tasso in that year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

Spendabuck85
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
From DRF.com:

The Green Monkey may finally run

In addition to watching Rags to Riches run on Saturday, it is possible that Tabor will also get to see The Green Monkey finally make it to the races. Tabor and his partners shelled out $16 million at the Fasig-Tipton 2-year-olds in training sale at Calder in February 2006 for the son of Forestry-Magical Masquerade, but that horse has had his setbacks and has yet to make it to the races. That could finally come to fruition on Saturday.

"I hope I'm looking forward to it,' Tabor said.

Tabor said he hasn't been preoccupied thinking about when and if The Green Monkey would make it to the races.

"Frankly, I've got plenty of other things to keep me occupied," Tabor said. "It's something you put on the back burner. It's not something you drive yourself crackers with, is it?"

Skanoochies
09-12-2007, 08:43 PM
That`s what I was hoping to hear in the first place. :jump: :lol:

SignUpKing
09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Green Monkey has been working in tandem with Rags to Riches? Is this true?

gIracing
09-13-2007, 02:27 AM
he has before yes.

but just becuase you put a horse with another in workouts don't mean they are of the same calibur... put in perspective. she was also put in company with the lepord.. a storm cat maiden winner last time out.

I htink they decided to run her in the belmont when she was toying with Circular Quay in her workouts, that's acutally her normal workout buddy

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2007, 03:35 AM
He might just have a wide stance in the paddock. His hoof unintentionally went into the other paddock and touched War Emblem's hoof.Again, hilarious! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Green Monkey has been working in tandem with Rags to Riches? Is this true?If true, there goes Bruddah's theory....

Horsefan
09-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi Everybody! Dan G I just saw one of your posts and I wanted to chime in that I too hope The Green Monkey wins his debut by 20!!! Here's some info I have on him that I have been compiling (I'm a FAN, forgive me if most of my stuff is "fluff")

On 7/8 at Belmont The Green Monkey had the second best work out of 31. He went 5 furlongs in 1:00.31H.

On 7/22 at Belmont The Green Monkey had the third fastest work out of 19 horses. That's not so bad.

On 7/29 he arrived at Saratoga, acting "very professional around the barn" said Mr. Pletcher.

On 8/12 he worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.62.

On 8/19 he worked 5 furlongs from the gate in 59 4/5

Around 8/26 he worked 1:01 2/5

More Revealed About The Green Monkey!!!

The Green Monkey is- Curious

Smart

Likes To Have Fun

Has Lots Of Personality

Real Fiesty All The Time

Very Full Of Himself

All the information we need to know about a racehorse! There was a special about him on ABC and I missed it!

The World Newser (http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2007/09/me-and-the-gree.html)

ABC News: Horse Prices at Auction (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/popup?id=3567306)

This is a video of The Green Monkey in action! It is supposed to be a work but instead is just a bit of him jogging with Angel Cordero up. A newscaster comes on and I want to scream at him "No! I don't want you! Give me some more of The Green Monkey!"
TVG: The Green Monkey hits the track Video (http://www.ntra.com/video.aspx?id=19293)

From DRF article-

The Green Monkey may finally run

In addition to watching Rags to Riches run on Saturday, it is possible that Tabor will also get to see The Green Monkey finally make it to the races. Tabor and his partners shelled out $16 million at the Fasig-Tipton 2-year-olds in training sale at Calder in February 2006 for the son of Forestry-Magical Masquerade, but that horse has had his setbacks and has yet to make it to the races. That could finally come to fruition on Saturday.

"I hope I'm looking forward to it,' Tabor said.

Tabor said he hasn't been preoccupied thinking about when and if The Green Monkey would make it to the races.

"Frankly, I've got plenty of other things to keep me occupied," Tabor said. "It's something you put on the back burner. It's not something you drive yourself crackers with, is it?"

Go Green Monkey!!!! Here's to a win by 20 lengths in his debut!:cool:

ryesteve
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
More Revealed About The Green Monkey!!!

The Green Monkey is- Curious

Smart

Likes To Have Fun

Has Lots Of Personality

Real Fiesty All The Time

Very Full Of Himself

Is this a horse, or a profile on Match.com?

spilparc
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
On of my partners talked to a private clocker last year in NY that said the horse had no dirt action, was very weak behind...

My understanding is he is still having trouble behind...

What does that mean having trouble behind? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

DanG
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Is this a horse, or a profile on Match.com?
LOL… :lol:

====================================

Horsefan, I admire your enthusiasm!!!

I learned a hard financial lesson in 1989 to not “marry” a thoroughbred. I LOVED Easy Goer and he was the cause of my biggest bets at that point and I NEVER reversed it once with ‘Sunday on top.

Blew an $800 straight triple in the Preakness and had a correct opinion on the 3rd slot with a Jerkins horse. (Triple Buck?...I forget the name)
Blew a $1,000 cold double in the BC with a correct opinion on Prized in the turf.
Bet him in the Derby even though the tote board and a hail storm said…BACK OFF!
Etc…etc…
Even this year when I went over the top posting on the now injured Maimonides, I learned my lesson and didn’t key him in the hopeful when signals said beware.

The G Monkey will be a fascinating animal regardless of his record. There is little doubt that if he runs up the track more than a few hard core NY scribes will have a smile in the press box. It’s just my nature to root for these types to confound a press core when the driving force in modern journalism in negativity IMO.

joanied
09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
:) :) :) Hey, that is great news....and how timely since we've all been raking GM thru the coals....I hope he runs and I hope he at least shows good form.
R2R....I can't wait....like everyone, been waiting to see her go again...and hope she wins easy!!

Good luck :ThmbUp: to both of them!!!

joanied
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
:jump: :jump: How about that....do ya think Pletcher has been reading our posts???
Green Money in a Maiden Special weight...race #4 on Saturday at Belmont.....I can't wait to see it, and ya know....I hope the colt wins by 5!!!!!

Rags To Riches is giving a lot of weight on Sat. I hope she won't 'need' this race and can kick butt...the one I'm scared of is Tough Tiz's Sister.
Go Rags Go!!!!!
:ThmbUp:

joanied
09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
horsefan,
Thanks for all that cool stuff on the GM...

hey, ryesteve....some of us simply get quite emotional about certain horses...so don't belittle horsefan's 'match.com' commentary....I think it's great!!
Fact is, all that stuff he posted just makes you (at least me) wanna root even more for the horse...nothing like a horse with a super 'personality' and the smarts to know he's good... his works sure look good...
now, I'm gonna go use the links horsefan provided and take a look at our 'joke of the week'....
I said I would love to see him win by 5....maybe 10 :eek: would be better!!!

Green :ThmbUp: Monkey...good luck!!

njcurveball
09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
One more thing about the Green Monkey.

I heard he saved a lot of money for his owners.

He told them to switch to Geico! :D

jognlope
09-14-2007, 12:14 PM
there's a video of his workout in nyra but I couldn't get it to play, just kept buffering.

cj's dad
09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
At ML of 1/1, there is an outside chance for a BJ on the GM, although I doubt this will occur. The show pool will be worth watching - IMO.
BTW- post time odds up or down
I'm thinking 7/5 + as he is not a national phenom (well known here but not as well elsewhere) and savvy bettors will not heavily invest.

joanied
09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
jognlope,

One thing about the NYRA site, the video's are not high quality...if you tried to get the same video I did to see him work...after waiting for the buffer, I was pretty :( bummed...it just showed him jogging under Cordero.
I'd love to see a real work of him...guess we'll see that tomorrow in the 4th!!

jognlope
09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks I will just await tomorrow and see him at Belmont!

joanied
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
You are welcome.

Hey...are ya going to Belmont to see him & R2R's run tomorrow? If you are, and have a camera....maybe you could post a photo or 2 of him for us.

Anyway... I think we'd all love to :ThmbUp: see him win.

kenwoodallpromos
09-14-2007, 04:23 PM
"Casey Jones | Grateful Dead
Driving that train, high on cocaine Casey Jones you'd better watch your speed Trouble ahead, trouble behind And you know that notion just crossed my mind"
Either they are talking about Pletcher and Cocaine, or GM's butt muscle troubles.

OTM Al
09-15-2007, 12:19 AM
I think I might be going to watch tomorrow and see exactly what a $16 mil horse looks like in person.

Bet of the day though might be $20 to show on 1-4 in the 9th. That will be the pool the jump occurs in if at all.

WJ47
09-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I am so excited for the race! It's going to be a great day of racing with the GM's debut and Rags to Riches return. I hope GM does well and he comes out of the race healthy. :) I'll be cheering for a win from GM! :)

I haven't seen the form yet, is there any good competition in the race for GM?

KingChas
09-15-2007, 07:53 AM
there's a video of his workout in nyra but I couldn't get it to play, just kept buffering.

Aha, the myth continues. :confused:
I gotta sawbuck that says they scratch. :D
There really is no Green Monkey :eek:

:lol:

jognlope
09-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Wound up in gate, "sputtering" in stretch, came up 3rd and not a close 3rd. Ramady (sp) won race, Sixthirteen 2nd. Big crowd came to see TGM.

DJofSD
09-15-2007, 02:42 PM
That's Roi Maudit.

DanG
09-15-2007, 02:50 PM
I haven't seen the form yet, is there any good competition in the race for GM?
Yes, the tractor… :eek: (Sorry, it’s just too good of a straight line)

The NY press will have a field day with this one. The story writes itself.

OTM Al
09-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I was the one in the stands yelling at the huge group of photogs that the winner was "over there" in the winner's circle... Alive to 5 in the last leg in the P4 But must admit I did use GM. If I lose this with half the field on my ticket I'm going to cry

jognlope
09-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Anthony Marino (local handicapper) really blasted Velasquez for riding, even though he either doesn't feel up to par or is recovering from injury, not sure what he meant.

SignUpKing
09-15-2007, 04:14 PM
LOL… :lol:

====================================

Horsefan, I admire your enthusiasm!!!

I learned a hard financial lesson in 1989 to not “marry” a thoroughbred. I LOVED Easy Goer and he was the cause of my biggest bets at that point and I NEVER reversed it once with ‘Sunday on top.

Blew an $800 straight triple in the Preakness and had a correct opinion on the 3rd slot with a Jerkins horse. (Triple Buck?...I forget the name)
Blew a $1,000 cold double in the BC with a correct opinion on Prized in the turf.
Bet him in the Derby even though the tote board and a hail storm said…BACK OFF!
Etc…etc…
Even this year when I went over the top posting on the now injured Maimonides, I learned my lesson and didn’t key him in the hopeful when signals said beware.

The G Monkey will be a fascinating animal regardless of his record. There is little doubt that if he runs up the track more than a few hard core NY scribes will have a smile in the press box. It’s just my nature to root for these types to confound a press core when the driving force in modern journalism in negativity IMO.

Wow! What a bankroll you must have!

njcurveball
09-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, the tractor… :eek: (Sorry, it’s just too good of a straight line)

Now pull your tie Dan and say I owned a horse and paid $16 million for it, when it got on the track, the tractor beat it. I don't get no respect, man, I dont get no respect! :lol:

njcurveball
09-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I am so excited for the race! It's going to be a great day of racing with the GM's debut and Rags to Riches return.

There is no joy in Mudville, the mighty Todd has stuck out, ONCE AGAIN!

Let the excuses begin! :jump:

DanG
09-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Wow! What a bankroll you must have!
27yo (at the time) and bet that year with the brain of a 7yo. Made my biggest score to date in ’88 / stepped out on this horse and got the door slammed in my face. One of the best educations I ever had in gambling.

DanG
09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
There is no joy in Mudville, the mighty Todd has stuck out, ONCE AGAIN!

Let the excuses begin! :jump:
I’ll GO 1ST…

NOT FAST ENOUGH!!! :)

Spendabuck85
09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
From DRF.com:
"He broke okay, got outfooted a little bit, kind of ran evenly through the lane, showed a little interest toward the end, galloped out good," Pletcher said. "I thought he ran okay considering they went 1:09.10. If you had asked me beforehand if he was ready to go in 1:08-and-four to win, I'd have said probably not. Hopefully, he'll improve having that race under his belt."

kenwoodallpromos
09-15-2007, 10:18 PM
"Had he known beforehand the race would be run so quickly, Pletcher said the outcome would not have been surprising. “I could have told you, he probably wouldn’t have been ready for that,” he said.

Velazquez said he wasn’t surprised by the outcome because he didn’t figure The Green Monkey, a son of Forestry, to be a sprinter.

“He is not that fast from the gate,” Velazquez said."
About 1-2 odds.

Tom
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
So the question still remains....."When will the Green Monkey ever run?" :lol:

WJ47
09-15-2007, 11:37 PM
So the question still remains....."When will the Green Monkey ever run?" :lol:

LOL, now that's funny! :)

mhrussell
09-16-2007, 12:14 AM
.. more like "The Pink Piggy" :lol:

The Public is amazing to make ANY first time starter 2-5
God love 'em! :ThmbUp:

I can't wait until the BC with the next can't-lose-slam-dunk-odds on horse of the ages.

gIracing
09-16-2007, 12:39 AM
what I crack up at is i have been yelling utnil my lungs have given out to run from the green monkey. he's been outworked in every workout and he can't handle a 5F workout but you are going to bet him at 2/5 in a 6F race.

then when these people loose, they are the same ones saying "well, I guess that's why it's horse racing". no .. you are just dumb.

sam with rag's... I didn't think she was going to win. it just didnt' add up. however although I LOST on that bet... it was a sound bet, because there was an overbet fav.

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm more interested in TGM's next race than I was in his first race. For a first effort, it wasn't all that terrible, and could mean little in the grand scheme of things...

For all we know, he could end up the Cigar of turf racing....:lol:

Spendabuck85
09-16-2007, 09:33 AM
From Steve Crist blog:
*Race 4: There were more people in the paddock for this 3-and-up maiden special than there are for most Grade 1 stakes at Belmont. Everyone wanted to see what a $16 million maiden looks like. The answer: Like any other horse. A Hall of Fame trainer watching the post parade remarked that he didn't see a single thing that would make you pick him out of a field full of racehorses as anything special. Still, he opened at 2-5 and that's what he was when the gates opened. He broke cleanly and took up a perfect spot in third on the outside as Sixthirteen was pressed hard by Bujagali in 22.18 and 44.90, blazing fractions compared to the earlier races and considering the wind. It should have been a perfect set-up if The Green Money were worth even three cents on the dollar, but he struggled to hold third while falling farther and farther back as Roi Maudit swept to the lead and Sixthirteen held second. The Green Monkey was beaten seven lengths, earning a Beyer of 76. "He's going to be a maiden a very long time," said the Hall of Famer. "Actually, I doubt we'll see him race again."

OTM Al
09-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I saw him in person as well (and yes, I did get that P4, though it would have been much nicer if that 6 could have held in the 5th, but back to it...). There was no way I was going to use that hores on my exacta tickets given the way he got bet. Then I saw him. Then I almost changed my mind. This is one of the nicest looking horses I've ever seen. Maybe not $16 mil nice, but he is beautiful. He was also very calm an professional in his actions. Many of the others in the race acted up, but he loaded smoothly and stood patiently. He finished 3rd and got a very respectable 76 BSF on his first start. Nothing wrong there, especially since he got beat by horses that already had good experience. Now that he's got one under his belt, I would expect to see improvement. Odds are he's not going to be a world beater, but he seems a decent horse to me and a damn good looking one too. Not his fault someone paid that kind of money for him.

Tom
09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I
For all we know, he could end up the Cigar of turf racing....:lol:

...or, he could turn out to be the "close, but no...." :lol:

46zilzal
09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
He barely picked up his feet after the half. Still learning to run however..

classhandicapper
09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
There was no financial upside to running him yesterday and allowing him to be somewhat embarassed. I'd have to guess that TP was expecting more from him and was disappointed. It wasn't a horrible performance. It looked like the kind of effort he should improve off. But it was a horrible performance if you spent 16m on him.

joanied
09-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Of course, I had to watch the 4th at Belmont on TV...also R2R in the Gazzell....but that's another story...as for the GM... I won't repeat what many already said...about the running, fractions ect ect...but, I do agree with the fact that this was his frist time out, and not all the good ones win first asking...and many good ones that do, don't do well in future races... ya just never know, so I will give him the benefit ;) of the doubt...I'll need to see him run a few times more before I pass judgement on him...who mentioned Cigar? yep...ya never know.
As for his 16 mil price tag...regardless of what he does or doesn't do in races....I will never feel bad for those guys that paid for him...they have more money than the world allows, and they also make me mad about them whisking these colts off to the breeding shed too soon.

WJ47
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I suspect that for the people who bought the Green Monkey, $16 million dollars is probably the equivalent of me going out to Red Lobster for dinner. :)

I'll be excited to see the next race for GM. I think its going to be on the turf too. :)

HorseRun
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
why would anyone feel sorry for these guys, they are not feeling sorry for themselves i assure you of that.....they only care about bloodlines and breeding and racing is just an afterthought.....they may look like fools but i think they look like fools for naming TGM after a fuxxxing golf course they are building then anything else....as for TGM, he most likely will never win a race....he was bought for $16 million based on his blazing speed at a 1/8 of a mile, thus if he cant even outrun maidens in a sprint, what the heck makes you think that he will get better with age (other than some fat cats paid $16 million and gave him an awful name )

WJ47
09-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree about the name, thats a horribly undignified name for a horse.

kenwoodallpromos
09-17-2007, 01:21 PM
I suspect that for the people who bought the Green Monkey, $16 million dollars is probably the equivalent of me going out to Red Lobster for dinner. :)

I'll be excited to see the next race for GM. I think its going to be on the turf too. :)
They just bought a 2 yr old grade 1 winner.

WJ47
09-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I read about their new purchase! It must be great to have that kind of money. I mean to be seriously, seriously rich like that. I couldn't afford to buy a friggin' plow horse. :lol:

I wonder if the prices of some of these yearlings are getting inflated because of bidding wars with the Sheiks. I did read that the Sheik spent alot less money this year at one of the sales.

46zilzal
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Talking to an ex-jockey who has a TV show: "Did you see the Green Monkey today?" he asked. "Well I saw a baby trying to pick up his feet."

His response: "The owner's ego was running there not the horse."

jotb
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
He barely picked up his feet after the half. Still learning to run however..

It looks like he stopped running after the half mile but I believe he was the only horse other than the winner to gain more than a length in the stretch.

joanied
09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I think Pletcher should run him right back...
at any rate, I, for one, will look foward to his next start. Maybe if they changed his name, he'd win :lol: