PDA

View Full Version : How to make a horse a hypochondriac

BC fever
09-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Rags to Riches, Everytime the horse passes gas they stick a thermometer up her butt and then declare the next race won`t be run. It`s getting tiresome listening to all the excuses why the horse won`t run. As in slight fever, or slight cough. Come on folks,that happens to all horses and they don`t keep em outta races. If they don`t want to run the horse anymore, just say so and retire the thing.

ponyplayerdotca
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Management knows if they never run her again, her lasting image is that of her crossing the wire, winning the Belmont Stakes, a huge feet for a filly.

I would assume her broodmare worth is the question here. Management may be struggling with the decision to retire her or not. It all depends on if they truly think her worth can be increased any more by running her again or not.

But the "has a fever again" non-stories are overkill, aren't they?

DanG
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I respect your opinions, but I would offer a different take on this one.

Hats off to trainers / owners who put the well being of the horse first. Let’s not confuse retiring perfectly healthy animals with ones that are showing signs of illness. A fever is very significant in a race horse, especially fillies. They are prone to virus as they lack the ability to regurgitate as a dog does for example.

Both animals that ran their lungs out dueling the length of the stretch in the Belmont (Curlin & R2R) haven’t exactly thrived since that effort IMO.

njcurveball
09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
IHats off to trainers / owners who put the well being of the horse first.

Totally agree! I have seen horses come on the track that a 6 year old could tell was favoring a foot or ankle. I often wonder if the Vet is getting a piece of the handle.

I was in the paddock at Monmouth this summer (a rare trip to see live horses) and saw the favorite favoring his left front. The horses name was Peaches something or other. I commented to my girlfriend the horse looked lame in front and wondered why the trainer was not even touching the leg to check it out.

The horse was dismal on track and ran terribly costing the fans lots of money. Now I would probably say my body language knowledge is on par with kids in pre-school, so this is not bragging.

Just a head scratcher why the people involved do not care about their own horse flesh!

I agree 100% with you Dan! :ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
They are prone to virus as they lack the ability to regurgitate as a dog does for example.

Interesting! I did not know that. Thanks Dan!

DanG
09-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Steve;

I was reminded of the fact when my dog was sick last night! :eek:

OTM Al
09-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Keep in mind that she is a filly, not a colt. While she has done great things, she's probably only worth around $2mil. While that sounds like a lot, a colt that had accomplished what she had is worth at least 10 times as much. She will race again if they can get her back on track. A colt would be quit on much much faster and be sent right to stud