PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy great free sites like calracing.com etc...

o0xst!
09-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, y'wont for long...suckers!!!

Feds OK fee for priority Web traffic

Thu Sep 6, 12:22 PM ET

The Justice Department on Thursday said Internet service providers should be allowed to charge a fee for priority Web traffic.

The agency told the Federal Communications Commission, which is reviewing high-speed Internet practices, that it is opposed to "Net neutrality," the principle that all Internet sites should be equally accessible to any Web user.

Several phone and cable companies, such as AT&T Inc., Verizon Communications Inc. and Comcast Corp., have previously said they want the option to charge some users more money for loading certain content or Web sites faster than others.

The Justice Department said imposing a Net neutrality regulation could hamper development of the Internet and prevent service providers from upgrading or expanding their networks. It could also shift the "entire burden of implementing costly network expansions and improvements onto consumers," the agency said in its filing.

Such a result could diminish or delay network expansion and improvement, it added.

The agency said providing different levels of service is common, efficient and could satisfy consumers. As an example, it cited that the U.S. Postal Service charges customers different guarantees and speeds for package delivery, ranging from bulk mail to overnight delivery.

"Whether or not the same type of differentiated products and services will develop on the Internet should be determined by market forces, not regulatory intervention," the agency said in its filing.

The agency's stance comes more than two months after Federal Trade Commission Chairwoman Deborah Platt Majoras cautioned policy makers to enact Net neutrality regulation.

Such a regulation could prevent rather than promote Internet investment and innovation and have "significant negative effects for the economy and consumers," the Justice Department said in the filing.

Supporters of Internet regulation have said that phone and cable companies could discriminate against certain Web site and services.

However, the agency said it will continue to monitor and enforce any anticompetitive conduct to ensure a competitive broadband marketplace.

PaceAdvantage
09-06-2007, 10:09 PM
How about you provide us with the most likely impact for the average internet user, should your scenario come to pass.

For instance, why would a site such as calracing.com NOT remain free anymore?

o0xst!
09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
They'll have to pay large fees to the broadband services etc and if they can't get enought "click the flapping pelican for a free trip to red lobster!!!!" banners on their site then they'll either have to charge or...just quit existing while some newscorp or disney entity picks up the site and does yknow what to it...

Same thing that happend with radio and tv.

PaceAdvantage
09-06-2007, 10:16 PM
You're implying that they will have to pay a fee to even be LOADED by that specific network. What I'm reading is that there will be priorities, or speed differences, not complete elimination.

Either way, it sucks, but I'm not sure sites are going to be killed off as you are implying.

o0xst!
09-06-2007, 10:21 PM
If you are interested, I HIGHLY recommend Jeff Chester's "Digital Destiny". Great book on this stuff, and there is still a lot we can do to keep things as they are. The ONLY thing this is about is the greedy Ad industry and the telecom companies wanting to make big bucks. The PR on this is an absolute disgrace and anyone who knows anything should see it as pure propaganda. There is good stuff at www.savetheinternet.com and prwatch.org if you are interested.

This is one of the most non-partian issues out there.

Tom
09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I thought this bill was defeated a while agao. There was a massive I-petition against it. I will contact our local e-Guru, who was leading the charge agains this back then - see what he knows about it. It was not a good thing.
But then again, what does our gov't do that IS a good thing?:mad:

o0xst!
09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
The ONE good thing that will come from a Dem victory in '08 is that Adelstein and Copps and someone else will take over the FCC and this stuff will be TAKEN CARE OF. They are the #1 advocates for these things....heres a great vid I put together from some footage featuring them....ck it out. You'll be pleasantly suprised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8COzrLXb7c

And yes, it was defeated....but they keep bringing it back...

ponyplayerdotca
09-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I think they're are overestimating the public's need for the internet. Although it is certainly used and "needed" to some degree in society today, most people use the internet because it's "free".

Not literately, of course, (home use fee for cable/phone companies), but generally speaking, especially at the workplace, the internet is free...just turn on, click and go.

People use the internet mostly for information from sites such as GOOGLE, YOUTUBE, YAHOO, message boards, chat, etc. and all of those entities are free to use.

As the world develops into this digitally-dependent future they keep harping on, they best remember one thing: I lived many years without the internet and got along just fine. And so I shall if the internet prices itself out of the comfort zone of the average user.

Politicians and advertisers want the internet to be a gated community, and that simply is too cumbersome worldwide to achieve.

headhawg
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I think they're are overestimating the public's need for the internet. Although it is certainly used and "needed" to some degree in society today, most people use the internet because it's "free".The Internet became The Internet not because it was provided as a service to people but because entrepreneurs figured a way to make money from it.

o0xst!
09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Politicians and advertisers want the internet to be a gated community, and that simply is too cumbersome worldwide to achieve.

worldwide, yes..America, hell no.

o0xst!
09-07-2007, 12:04 PM
The Internet became The Internet not because it was provided as a service to people but because entrepreneurs figured a way to make money from it.

SCB, COX, Comcast etc... aren't entrepreneurs