PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park

Cratos
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Monmouth Park with dimensions taken from Google Earth and approximate starting positions of all 2007 BC races.

DanG
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Monmouth Park with dimensions taken from Google Earth and approximate starting positions of all 2007 BC races.
Neat stuff Cratos, thanks!
2-observations…

It left out the tree I used to sit under and listen to Chuck Badone seminars and carry out my crush on Julie Krone.

With all this wonderful technology and we can’t find a 6’6 ft pickle salesman on dialysis? :D
Thanks again! :ThmbUp:

Jeff P
09-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Chuck Badone?

Dan, Are you kidding me? Chuck Badone? When I was a college kid (ASU) I used to skip classes and drive across town to Turf Paradise. Chuck was doing a daily on track seminar back in those days. In his seminar he would go through the entire field for each race and give his reasons why or why not for each horse. If I remember right his handicapping always stressed class, class, class. I remember one day (~Feb 1984... I can't remember the name of the horse) when he said "If THIS horse wins I'll quit and go back to selling aluminum siding." I remember looking at the form and noticing the horse had lots of early speed which for some reason Chuck never paid much attention to. When the race came up I bet $5.00 WP at 40-1... which for me was big money back in those days. When the gate opened the horse broke on top, cleared the field, got over to the rail, and led to deep stretch before being caught in the shadow of the wire. The $35.00+ place price made my day. It also cemented something in my mind. Lone early speed, even cheap speed - is always dangerous. You could say that Chuck really helped my handicapping. The next day when Chuck did his seminar he joked about yesterday's 6th race being a really close call... how his mother was pulling for that horse to win so that her son would go get a paying job...

His commentary was colorful and entertaining.

-jp

DanG
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
:lol:

Small world!!!

The one and only Jeff,

That was Chuck’s circuit … TUP to MTH

I don’t want to say anything disrespectful toward the man, for all I know he’s no longer with us. (Or, selling aluminum siding) :) He was…shall we say…”traditional” in his methods and I’ll leave it at that. I’m guessing Jeff were pretty near the same age as the only thing missing was your crush on Julie! I can say with confidence I was the only teenager at Chuck’s seminars who bought the Ragozin sheets, while he told us who was “out classed”. ;)

Monmouth has certainly upgraded their track handicapper with the brilliant Brad Thomas in recent years. (No offense intended)

That was my summer youth…Days at Monmouth, 6:30 ‘ish with Harvey Pack, Stan Bergstein and Spencer Ross late night with the show from Roosevelt / Yonkers. What a beautiful miss-spent childhood! :jump:

PS: Googled his name and he's at Lone Star park as best I can tell. I guess he avoided the 'siding trade...Good for him! :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I've got a couple of books by Chuck.
Good author.

46zilzal
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I was talking with an exec from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)who has attended all the Breeder's Cups save one, and he pointed out something I had not considered: A summer based meeting place like Monmouth (much like Arlington) is built on being "open to the air" and unless it is winterized, the cool gusts of Autumn winds will become quite a handicap for the racing fans braving them.

DanG
09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I was talking with an exec from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)who has attended all the Breeder's Cups save one, and he pointed out something I had not considered: A summer based meeting place like Monmouth (much like Arlington) is built on being "open to the air" and unless it is winterized, the cool gusts of Autumn winds will become quite a handicap for the racing fans braving them.
That’s when you go to either Max’s or the Windmill in Long Branch and stick a couple franks down each pant leg. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
It'll be hit or miss as far as the weather goes. Monmouth is built for maximum airflow, so if its a nasty day, bring the winter coat. Belmont 2 yrs ago was brutal, but the next day was absolutely beautiful and you wouldn't have even needed a jacket.

point given
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
It'll be hit or miss as far as the weather goes. Monmouth is built for maximum airflow, so if its a nasty day, bring the winter coat. Belmont 2 yrs ago was brutal, but the next day was absolutely beautiful and you wouldn't have even needed a jacket.

Seats have sold so well, that they just last week came up with additional seats for the BC. Hurry while they're hot.

Wind is the culprit, and Monmouth of course is close to the shore, which has a habit of being breezy. Belmont is inland, but with huge stands, probably twice the height of Monmouths though. YES, I froze my pitunias off at Belmont, and everyone sought cover between races inside. Between the price of the seats, and the likely cold weather, i passed on going to this years BC. Monmouth is a terrific place for summer racing, but even late spring/early summer racing there was too raw for me to sit outside for long. The best thing if going is to dress in layers, with special attention to hands and feet. I'm planning an electric socks/ gloves concession in aisle 75 of the parking lot !

john del riccio
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Neat stuff Cratos, thanks!
2-observations…

It left out the tree I used to sit under and listen to Chuck Badone seminars and carry out my crush on Julie Krone.

With all this wonderful technology and we can’t find a 6’6 ft pickle salesman on dialysis? :D
Thanks again! :ThmbUp:

This is too funny. I used to go to MTH with my POP when Chuck Dadone did seminars and really thought he picked way to may favorites. yes, even as a kid I thought that !

As for Julie Krone, I never had a crush on her but I certainly had alot of respect for her after she punched joe bravo out for trying to put her over the rail. and after that joe imbesi wacked him for even trying to hit a woman.....

John

DanG
09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
This is too funny. I used to go to MTH with my POP when Chuck Dadone did seminars and really thought he picked way to may favorites. yes, even as a kid I thought that !

As for Julie Krone, I never had a crush on her but I certainly had alot of respect for her after she punched joe bravo out for trying to put her over the rail. and after that joe imbesi wacked him for even trying to hit a woman.....

John
Was it Joe Bravo John?

I was there the day it happened and sitting in the back near the pool. I thought it was Marques, but it’s been a while. She tried to drown the guy in the pool a few races later after the fight and you could hear the jocks yelling for help.

Come to think of it, she was in a few dust-ups, so this could be another time. She stood up for herself and earned her respect, like all the good ones do.

Those were great times with Perret, Antley and Krone riding the hair off horses.

The good old days!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

midnight
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Chuck Badone?

Lone early speed, even cheap speed - is always dangerous.

That's one reason that class isn't as important with lone early speed as it is with horses in other running postions. Once the horse gets a few lengths ahead, there's no horse to look it in the eye, no horse to intimidate it.

john del riccio
09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Was it Joe Bravo John?

I was there the day it happened and sitting in the back near the pool. I thought it was Marques, but it’s been a while. She tried to drown the guy in the pool a few races later after the fight and you could hear the jocks yelling for help.

Come to think of it, she was in a few dust-ups, so this could be another time. She stood up for herself and earned her respect, like all the good ones do.

Those were great times with Perret, Antley and Krone riding the hair off horses.

The good old days!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

...dont forget Hollywood Herb McCauley, my POP used to say "if he's gotta come back dirty, he ain't gonna ride"... I know now more than ever exactly what he meant by that.

john

midnight
09-05-2007, 12:43 PM
It was Krone and Bravo after a race at Meadowlands in 1989.

Link to NY Times query (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE1D7143FF935A1575AC0A96F9482 60)

DanG
09-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Link to NY Times query (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE1D7143FF935A1575AC0A96F9482 60)
Thanks Midnight;

Then there was another one, because I was in Nevada in ’89. Good…I haven’t gone completely senile yet!!! :D

BTW: Sorry Cratos for going down memory lane in your thread. Thanks again for the information and now your patience! :)

DanG
09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
...dont forget Hollywood Herb McCauley, my POP used to say "if he's gotta come back dirty, he ain't gonna ride"... I know now more than ever exactly what he meant by that.

john
Speaking of which…

Herb is making a comeback!!! :eek:

jma
09-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Handle and attendance up at Monmouth...

http://www.drf.com/news/article/88285.html

thespaah
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Man..Now those are memories..Racing from Roosevelt/Yonkers with Stan and Spencer...

there's lots of old videos on youtube and harnesslink.com

thespaah
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
yes..the grandstand faces in the direction of the ocean...On onshore breeze in late october with the water temp in thr lo 50's could be pretty miserable..Let's hope the weather cooperates

thespaah
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Julie was as tough as nails..She had it out with Art Madrid once as well..The story went how she got a hold of Madrid threw him down ...

point given
09-05-2007, 10:01 PM

I needed that. Good to see she gave him an attitude adjustment. He can be so darned cocky.