PDA

View Full Version : Oh Chester

46zilzal
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Chester race course is a unique one. I am told, and would appreciate substantiation, that it was built over the ruins of an old Roman Chariot track as it about as close to a completely ROUND course as you will find on this planet.

dutchboy
09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Chester Racing

Racing at Chester's historic Roodee course dates back to the early 16th century, making it the country's oldest racecourse. There has been racing at the Roodee at Chester for over 450 years and the delight of seeing a race at Chester unfolding before your eyes from the sophisticated surroundings of the course’s enclosures or the vantage point of the City walls is an unforgettable occurrence. Tudor Kings and Queens ruled England when horse racing started on The Roodee.

There are a few more awesome sights in British Racing than the horses thundering into the final furlong at Chester, a near oval course that makes outstanding demands on the capabilities of jockeys and their mounts with races run repeatedly on the turn. For many it is the ideal weekend to combine horse racing with the delights of shopping and eating out in Chester City.

The Dee Festival celebrates the prominent position of both Chester and Bangor-on-Dee Racecourses on the banks of the River Dee, allowing racegoers to experience the buzz of racing with all the charm of the country. The July meeting at Chester Racecourse, held over 2 days, is one of the most fashionable racing events of the summer.

Chester racecourse is the oldest in Europe and regular race meetings are held throughout the year. With spectacular views over the course and the River Dee, Chester Racecourse is found within the historic and beautiful City of Chester, one of Britain’s great heritage cities.

The Dee Stakes is a Group 3 flat horse race in the United Kingdom for 3-year-old thoroughbred colts and geldings run over a distance of 1m 2f 75yds (2,080 metres) at Chester Racecourse in May. The race is so named because Chester Racecourse is situated at the edge of the River Dee.

Premier Turf Club
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
A beautiful and unique course. Fun to watch racing there.

To be honest though, before I saw the text of your post, I thought it was Melman with an ode to Chester Downs. :lol: