PDA

View Full Version : Appearance on the track (best horse you've ever seen)

cj's dad
08-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I am interested who is the most imposing/intimidating race horse you have ever seen set foot(hoof) on the track in the post parade.

I have never seen any colt/filly/mare who looked so amazing as Free House did on Belmont day of 1998.

I never had the good fortune of seeing "Big Red" in person , so I feel somewhat deprived.

Another very subjective post, but one I hope will illicit some thought.:cool:

jognlope
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Lemon Drop Kid's confidence just before the race, blazing eyes, his strength, then winning Travers

Greyfox
08-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I have a few that looked really good. General Meeting comes to mind.

Other than that a few weeks ago I came to bet a pick at Del Mar.
The out-rider pony looked like a better bet, and was as it turned out.

DanG
08-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Not even a close second…

Seattle Slew entering the Belmont walking ring for the Triple Crown. He reared and let out a blood curdling yell that said…”YOU’RE MINE”.

He knew he was king and carried that attitude right into the breeding shed.

http://www.racehorsebook.com/SeattleSlew.jpg

46zilzal
08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Slew looked great on the farm too. One of the best photos I ever took was him at Three Chimneys.

Slew O' Gold was also an impressive looking steed.

Ack Ack was a monster: looked almost like a huge quarter horse.

Nijinsky had a regal look about him.

JustRalph
08-31-2007, 11:25 PM
This is on TV, but, Vindication before the Breeders cup.
I think he was running in the Juvie if memory serves......... i was going to bet against him...........but after the post parade sat on my hands.

Greyfox
08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Not even a close second…

Seattle Slew entering the Belmont walking ring for the Triple Crown. He reared and let out a blood curdling yell that said…”YOU’RE MINE”.

He knew he was king and carried that attitude right into the breeding shed.

http://www.racehorsebook.com/SeattleSlew.jpg

DanG

Thankyou for the photo. What a powerful looking steed, just as he stands.

cnollfan
08-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Temperence Hill before the 1980 Arkansas Derby.

Tee
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
General Challenge usually went to post looking like a monster.

Problem was he didn't always race as he looked. :)

Tee
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Tiznow wasn't chopped liver either. :)

Edward DeVere
08-31-2007, 11:53 PM
General Challenge usually went to post looking like a monster.

Problem was he didn't always race as he looked. :)

POST O' THE DAY!

highnote
09-01-2007, 12:58 AM
I have a couple:

Dancin' Renee was a nice filly that raced at Aqueduct. She came off a layoff with a beautiful, silky coat covered with dapples. She won at 5-1 and paid for my trip to the Derby that year -- 1998?

Also, Silver Charm in the paddock before winning the Derby. Usually it's hard to tell if a grey is fit. Their muscles don't show through their coats as well as they do on other thoroughbreds of other colors. However, his coat on Derby day was also silky and shiny and you could really see the outlines of his muscles on his hind quarters. I doubt he could have gotten any fitter.

Those aren't necessarily the greatest horses, but they were the most fit and healthy that I've seen.

I saw a really nice colt that was entered in the Derby back in the mid 90's. He might have been bred in England or was trained by a Brit or shipped over from England. I can't remember now. But his confirmation was picture perfect. He was kind of small, but he did manage to run third at big odds.

He was the most handsome horse I have ever seen. I wish I could remember his name.

46zilzal
09-01-2007, 01:03 AM
A horse that underwhelmed was Devil's Bag. As a stallion he wasn't much larger than many a two year old.

v j stauffer
09-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Rock Hard Ten.

bigmack
09-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Rock Hard Ten.
At 17 hands the vast equine was less than enthusiastic about confined spaces, including gates.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/rocky_beautifulpp.jpg

Nacumi
09-01-2007, 10:15 AM
We had a couple of horses working on a Saturday morning at DelPark a couple of weeks ago, and while we were waiting for the renovation break, I looked over to see a very impressive big, dark bay, dappled and shiny. He was on the muscle, wheeling his exercise rider around, impatient to begin his work. He was the first one on the track, galloping away and I asked a groom standing by us who it was.
Hard Spun. Stunning up close and in person. That was 8 days before his King's Bishop win.

boomman
09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Alysheba.........Wow!!:)

Boomer

DanG
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Recent observations…

I saw “Any Given Saturday” at the Tampa Derby vs. Street Sense and he looked very fit and healthy. Then I saw him in the walking ring at the Haskell and you would swear it was a different animal. WOW…:eek: This is a grown man now and will take serious beating the rest of the year IMO.

http://media.theolympian.com/smedia/2007/08/05/18/516-Haskell_Invitational.sff.highlight.prod_affiliate. 38.jpg

shanta
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
didn't see it myself but a very respected buddy of mine said Barbaro in both the Derby and Preakness was an awesome sight to behold

Tom
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Groovy was extremely impressive. Bear in mind, I saw him at Finger Lakes, and he looked like the visiting king next to our horses.

Pace Cap'n
09-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Rock Of Gibraltar in the '02 Breeders Cup. Looked like he just stepped of the merry-go-round. After a near dead stop at the top of the lane, delivered the greatest closing kick I've ever seen for second.

Dan Montilion
09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Dash For Cash

Marlin
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Cigar, in the walking ring for the AP citation challenge. He was one of two that handled the heat. He and Dramatic Gold looked great. What a shock, they were one - two.:) On the flip side Unbridled's Song was a complete and obvious toss out. He had clearly run his race before even entering the paddock.:(

Saw Bayakoa at CBY when they thought she was a turf horse. She was favored and had no chance. People talk about vulnerable favorites, and more than anything in the form, you can find them in the paddock. The last advantage of live racing.:)

rgustafson
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Alysheba.........Wow!!:)

Boomer

I second that emotion!

Hajck Hillstrom
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Alysheba.........Wow!!:) BoomerI have to agree with the Boomer! That bowed neck left a lifetime impression of how a horse should look in the post parade.

That being said, the most spiritual experience I ever had at a track was back in the late 80's at Fairplex Park (then Pomona). A horse stepped on the track named Situada, and this near black literally had the only aura I have ever seen in my life! There was a glow around the horse that caused me to ask my girlfriend, "Do you see that?" Of course she didn't, and I was at a loss to what I was witnessing. Situada drew off at a very nice price, and I have been searching for that aura again now for almost 2 decades, to no avail.

bigmack
09-02-2007, 04:49 PM
IA horse stepped on the track named Situada, and this near black literally had the only aura I have ever seen in my life!
Do you recall, by Mr. Long or Mar Blanco?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9_2_07_13_47_21.jpg

Hajck Hillstrom
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Do you recall, by Mr. Long or Mar Blanco?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9_2_07_13_47_21.jpgGun to my head..... I think it was the Chilean bred. Memory serves me that she was 4 or 5 and the year was 87 or 88. I may have to dive into the archives.....

BIG49010
09-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Alysheba was a great looker, and he knew he was tops also. At his retirement at Churchill downs he went to one end of the grandstand took a crap, cantered to the other end and did it again. It was great!

Cigar had a great look also, and he knew he was boss also.

Grits
09-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Point Given

In the paddock for his Belmont. He was something to behold.

The morning he arrived on the backside at Saratoga for the Travers, I was at a barn just a few yards away from his van while he was being unloaded.

Again, something to behold.

Huge animal, all muscle and dapples.

jballscalls
09-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm not a great judge of horse flesh, but i remember being at Santa Anita new years day of 06 i think it was, and Choctaw Nation was running on the turf in a stake (Badge of Silver won), but he just looked so beautiful, and meticulously groomed and spectacular. I think he ran 4th LOL

john del riccio
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I saw POINT GIVEN when he wasnt at his best when he won the Haskell. He was a MONSTER of a horse.

John

Dick Schmidt
09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Not sure about the best looking (I don't pay much attention to such things) but I know which horse looked the worst compared to his competition: John Henry. He looked worse than the lead ponies and the other horses in the race towered over him, looking muscled and shiny while he looked little and dull. Appeared more interested in biting his groom than running. He beat them by an easy 3 lengths.

Dick

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

dylbert
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Temperence Hill before the 1980 Arkansas Derby.I will second Temperence Hill. I saw TH prior to, running, and winning inaugural Super Derby in 1980 at Louisiana Downs. Fantastic looking colt...

Another interesting topic is horse that changed most significantly. Last year, I watched Lawyer Ron in January win FG Risen Star stake run at LaD. Nice looking but rank and uncontrollable. In September, he returned for Super Derby and ran second to Strong Contender. Much larger and more muscled colt, but still unrateable. Then, Pletcher gets him before BC Classic. In BC race, he still doesn't rate. Now, in last two races, Whitney & Woodward we are seeing what superior horse he truly is. Better training, better jockey, and more mature horse -- his owner should be commended for having faith and keeping him in training and racing in 2007.

46zilzal
09-03-2007, 02:29 AM
John Henry looked good at other times.

statik27
09-03-2007, 01:25 PM
How about Fu Peg, that horse always seemed to look tremendous.

The other horse that I always thought was just a perfect specimen was Dixie Union. Go check out his conformation shot over at Lanes End. I just can fault him.

statik

how cliche
09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Islington in the walking ring prior to the BC F & M Turf at SA. She knew she was best. I knew then what they meant by the term "class just oozing out of them." It was palpable.

statik27
09-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I will second Temperence Hill. I saw TH prior to, running, and winning inaugural Super Derby in 1980 at Louisiana Downs. Fantastic looking colt...

Another interesting topic is horse that changed most significantly. Last year, I watched Lawyer Ron in January win FG Risen Star stake run at LaD. Nice looking but rank and uncontrollable. In September, he returned for Super Derby and ran second to Strong Contender. Much larger and more muscled colt, but still unrateable. Then, Pletcher gets him before BC Classic. In BC race, he still doesn't rate. Now, in last two races, Whitney & Woodward we are seeing what superior horse he truly is. Better training, better jockey, and more mature horse -- his owner should be commended for having faith and keeping him in training and racing in 2007.

I think you bring up an interesting point Dylbert. Lawyer Ron is an example of what can happen when a horse is allowed to show what he can do as a mature race horse, something the majority of his crop weren't allowed. How much do you think this guys stud fee will be off the last 2 performances alone?

statik

samyn on the green
09-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Ghostzapper in the Paddock before the 2005 Met Mile had a golden aura about 6 inches above his dabbled and shiny coat. It was a extraordinary sight under the old tree. He bowed his neck and was as cool as a cuccumber in the paddock. He was a phenomenal looking beast that ran to his looks. With one look at the exceptional condition of the Zapper all wagers immediately keyed Ghostzapper on top. The Zapper obliged and ran a hole in the win.

Semipro
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Sunny's Halo post parade Arkansas Derby. Gives you a clue as to how old I am.

dylbert
09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I think you bring up an interesting point Dylbert. Lawyer Ron is an example of what can happen when a horse is allowed to show what he can do as a mature race horse, something the majority of his crop weren't allowed. How much do you think this guys stud fee will be off the last 2 performances alone?

statikI agree with you, Lawyer Ron, has increased in value significantly with his two Spa victories. It makes you wonder if some of the "prematurely" retired 2006 3YOs would have developed more, or were they mere "flash-in-the-pan" types.

Will future handicap division consist of late-blooming 4YOs and older geldings only? Current state suggests that answer is absolutely YES. 2007 3YO crop will thin significantly after Breeders' Cup.

Blackiee
09-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Last year, I think Lawyer Ron had a hurt neck because he had his head cocked to the side, It was especially cocked bad in the paddock and post parade for the Arkansas & Kentucky Derbys. Before the Super Derby, I was in the paddock area and mentioned to a friend beside me about his strange habit of cocking his head to the side but it wasn't as bad that day and one of the owners was standing beside me and stated that LR did have a hurt neck and they were giving him treatments. I looked at him before the Woodard and noticed how he had his head straight up and never had his head cocked to the side.

northerndancer
09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
The Green Monkey!!!!!!! :lol:

For real every horse that run in my colors....... I hope....

Ghostzapper in the Breeders Cup would be my selection....... he just had such a commanding presence in the paddock and when he entered the track.

borntoride
09-10-2007, 10:41 AM
For me, it was fairly recently. Hard Spun prior to the Lacompte at Fair Grounds. I just had to see him, so I went down to the paddock where the crowd was 7-8 deep. I could see his head towering over the crowd, just exuding his power. I said out loud to no one in particular, "Oh my God". Been in love with him ever since.

classhandicapper
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
There have been a number of them, but one day Housebuster came out on the track and looked simply amazing. I think it was the day he crushed Citidancer, who at the time looked like a dynamite up and coming challenger to him.

Easy Goer also looked incredible one day at Saratoga (perhaps the Whitney, but I can't recall the race).

The 3rd is a horse that no one probably ever hard of. His name was Pianist. I saw him one day at Aqueduct and ran straight to the windows (which is almost unheard of for me). I think he won by 13 lengths that day.

46zilzal
09-10-2007, 02:36 PM
At the farm two stood out: Slew and Secretariat

on the track, and I am being very objective here as I was very biased against this one's connections: Slew O' Gold looked great at the 84 Breeder's Cup. A massive mountain of muscle and balance.

Ack Ack, before the Holly Gold Cup, was another that rings a strong memory.

skate
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
1) John(intimidation)Henry
2) Cigar
3) Skate:cool:

cnollfan
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
At the farm two stood out: Slew and Secretariat

on the track, and I am being very objective here as I was very biased against this one's connections: Slew O' Gold looked great at the 84 Breeder's Cup. A massive mountain of muscle and balance.

Ack Ack, before the Holly Gold Cup, was another that rings a strong memory.

Ack Ack was a great horse who is rarely mentioned these days. Thanks for bringing him up.

46zilzal
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Ack Ack was a great horse who is rarely mentioned these days. Thanks for bringing him up.
Charlie's favorite of all time.

JPinMaryland
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Sweeteye are you thinking perhaps of Jumron(GB) (Sharpo (GB) x Flambera (FR))? He came in fourth in 1995 derby. Pedigree database says this:

At 2: WON Ascot Graduation Breeders' Cup S., Columbia River S.; 2ND California Juvenile S. (G3), Juvenile S.
At 3: WON El Camino Real Derby (G3), Golden State Derby; 3RD Santa Anita Derby (G1).

Sent to USA. Raced four times in 21 days, winning three, as a two year old

46zilzal
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Sweeteye are you thinking perhaps of Jumron(GB) (Sharpo (GB) x Flambera (FR))? He came in fourth in 1995 derby. Pedigree database says this:

At 2: WON Ascot Graduation Breeders' Cup S., Columbia River S.; 2ND California Juvenile S. (G3), Juvenile S.
At 3: WON El Camino Real Derby (G3), Golden State Derby; 3RD Santa Anita Derby (G1).

Sent to USA. Raced four times in 21 days, winning three, as a two year old

Larry Lacoursiere told me this one (Jumron) was one of his all time favorite rides.

Cratos
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I am interested who is the most imposing/intimidating race horse you have ever seen set foot(hoof) on the track in the post parade.

I have never seen any colt/filly/mare who looked so amazing as Free House did on Belmont day of 1998.

I never had the good fortune of seeing "Big Red" in person , so I feel somewhat deprived.

Another very subjective post, but one I hope will illicit some thought.:cool:

Buckpasser, anytime and every time he set foot (hoof) on the racetrack. Secondly, Ruffian was an imposing filly.

WJ47
09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Barbaro before the Derby; I wagered on him at the OTB and when I came home and saw the post parade, I was mad I didn't bet more! He looked so confident and muscled. I thought he looked very good in the Preakness post parade before his unfortunate breakdown.

Ghostzapper always looked pretty darn good, but so good before the Classic.

Also, I'm not sure which race it was (I think the Travers), but Bernardini came out looking so majestic and confident that I knew he would win for sure. He had that little dance that the confident ones do in the post parade sometimes. :) Bernardini also looked great before the Preakness. I didn't want to bet against Barbaro because I truly believed he would win, but I couldn't resist laying a few dollars on Bernardini in the Preakness at those odds.

joanied
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
:) I'll have to go back in time a bit...
Ruffian before the CCAO (she never carried much flesh, but on that day, she was a sight to behold).
Majestic Prince before the Belmont....he was a gorgeous horse...but, being a NY'er...I put my money on Arts & Letters...who won for fun!!

There are many others...but this thread has mentioned many of them already.

JPinMaryland
09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Larry Lacoursiere told me this one (Jumron) was one of his all time favorite rides.

Who beat Jumron in the SA derby? I guess I could look it up..

46zilzal
09-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Larry the Legend over Afternoon Deelites and Jumron.
http://www.ctba.com/02directory/peds/LARRYLEGEND.pdf

NoDayJob
09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Citation, in 1948 with Eddie Arcaro aboard, was the most imposing horse I have ever seen bar none. Jimmy Jones was his trainer, but he let his dad take trainer credit for the Kentucky Derby which gave the elder Jones the record for most K.D. wins.

JPinMaryland
09-13-2007, 12:27 AM
What was the story with Larry the Legend? He was 4 for 4 at 3 and beat Timber Country Twice that year.. :jump: