PDA

View Full Version : HGH just isn't the same.

njcurveball
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
With the month of September upon us, anyone else notice the home run totals in baseball this year? Is Barry Bonds really over the hill? Anyone realize he is 11th in ALL of baseball?

How bout Chris Young (the hitter)? He has been in more slumps this year than Lindsay Lohan car accidents. Yet he is still 10th!

Can anyone guess off the top of their head how many players in ALL of baseball have more than 20 home runs at this point?

The answer would be 41! That is less than 2 per team on average!

In 2006, 11 players had 40 or more (with many others above 35). In 2005, 9 players had 40 or more (with many others above 35).

Right now there is just one over 40 (Arod), and one close, Prince Fielder (39).

Carlos Pena is 5th right now with 31, so he isn't even a gimme for 40!

Could there be only four players this year with 40 or more? Maybe Bud will have to legalize more than HGH if this trend continues for the next few years.

Now if anyone can get a good argument pitching has improved this year, I would love to hear it!

Dave Schwartz
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Why, you aren't insinuating it could have anything to do with a crackdown on steriod use, are you?

:lol:

skate
08-31-2007, 03:55 PM
well, maybe just me, ive seen more high scores lately than ever before.

i would have to say,mostly watching the philly team, but many others are scoring thru the roof.

with the phills, 12 or 13 starting pitchers and hitters up the ying yang, gees, they just keep scoring.

what ive seen, many injuries on all teams. very few pitchers going the distance. more so called stategy, might work, heavy bull pen work scedule.

not a stat man, but i see lots of high scores.

home runs, i would say are up (per team), but more spread out thru the whole team.

njcurveball
08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
well, maybe just me, ive seen more high scores lately than ever before.

i would have to say,mostly watching the philly team, but many others are scoring thru the roof.

Definitely an interesting take, actual v.s. perception. Right now the Phils have 727 runs and 154 dingers.

In 2006 they had 865 runs and 216 dingers. They need to hit over 60 bombs and score 138 runs to match that.

Stats are 5.33 runs and 1.33 dingers per game last year against 5.46 runs per game and 1.29 dingers. So they are doing better in runs, but not by much.

By runs and home runs here is what we for all of baseball (and yes it is a game of stats!)

year runs/hr
2006 787/180
2007 772/163 projected for this year after 133 games.

So runs are not up from last year and home runs are way down. But like most we remember the high scores like Texas getting 30.

njcurveball
08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Why, you aren't insinuating it could have anything to do with a crackdown on steriod use, are you?

:lol:

Nah! I am blaming the greenhouse effect for making the wood softer. :rolleyes:

skate
09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
now thats a point, soft wood.

does anyone recall a tv spot, done by Bonds himself, regarding bats. as i recall, he had special wood. not that others could not do the same, but ( guy from Oregon?) made his (Bonds) bats?

skate
09-02-2007, 07:27 PM
oh, not doubt, it is a gasme of stats. i just dont take the time.

i would add, from what ive seen (not much thru out the league), they walk Bonds, Howard and Burell way more than normal.
if this happens thru the leagues, home runs would be less than normal.

skate
09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
back to the stats.

always, they depend on so many other statistics.
such as "at bats". if the walks or injury are up, then stats are down.

Bonds, for example, sits a lot and walks a lot. same for Howard, this year i would think the walks are higher and hes been on the bench, injury.

along with the drug use down(?), its tough to call.

a few yerars down the road, we can look back.

Fwizard
09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I think it is a little strange always to talk about home run hitters using HGH or other steriods...you mean to tell me no pitchers used the stuff to gain some MPH's on a fastball.....

njcurveball
09-03-2007, 01:50 PM
you mean to tell me no pitchers used the stuff to gain some MPH's on a fastball.....

Hmmm, good point. I look at the stats for ALL of baseball that way walking a Howard or Bonds is balanced against all of other teams.

2006 league average 1055 strikeouts per team,
2005 league average 1021 strikeouts per team
2004 league average 1061 strikeouts per team
2003 league average 1027 strikeouts per team
2002 league average 1046 strikeouts per team

So you can see over the sample the numbers are very consistent.

So far in 2007, avg 894 for 136 games, 6.57 per game. This projects to 1064, which is spot on the average for the last 5 years.

If they are using HGH or steroids or something else, it certainly isn't reflected in the strikeout totals.

Jim

njcurveball
09-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I think it is a little strange always to talk about home run hitters using HGH or other steriods...

This is not strange at all since increased strength DOES translate to increased distance when the ball is struck.

It doesn't turn a Sunday Softball Beer league singles hitter into the home run king. We are talking 20 to 30 feet and with the added bulk, probably a small loss in agility and hand/eye coordination.

Jim

BillW
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, good point. I look at the stats for ALL of baseball that way walking a Howard or Bonds is balanced against all of other teams.

2006 league average 1055 strikeouts per team,
2005 league average 1021 strikeouts per team
2004 league average 1061 strikeouts per team
2003 league average 1027 strikeouts per team
2002 league average 1046 strikeouts per team

So you can see over the sample the numbers are very consistent.

So far in 2007, avg 894 for 136 games, 6.57 per game. This projects to 1064, which is spot on the average for the last 5 years.

If they are using HGH or steroids or something else, it certainly isn't reflected in the strikeout totals.

Jim

Since steroids and HGH relate more to recuperative power than directly to strength, it might be interesting to compare durability.

skate
09-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Since steroids and HGH relate more to recuperative power than directly to strength, it might be interesting to compare durability.

id not lookjed at it that way, good point.

skate
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=njcurveball]Definitely an interesting take, actual v.s. perception. Right now the Phils have 727 runs and 154 dingers.

Stats are 5.33 runs and 1.33 dingers per game last year against 5.46 runs per game and 1.29 dingers. So they are doing better in runs, but not by much.

By runs and home runs here is what we for all of baseball (and yes it is a game of stats!)

year runs/hr
2006 787/180
2007 772/163 projected for this year after 133 games.

looks like the runs are uip.

and, if i recall, phills had a really good Sept. if they continue with scoring the way they have and they come close to last years stats (from your figures, they should excede last year) they should end with higher numbers.

pitchers are gonna hurt, but in a short series, who knows>?