PDA

View Full Version : Past posting

46zilzal
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Unlike a lot of people, I like to watch great races over and over. I have about 30 old VCR tapes (one of every Breeder's Cup since they started, even that crappy one at Lone Star) going back to the Jockey Club Gold Cup of Affirmed/Bid.

It is astounding to watch Personal Ensign get up in the last jump, Wild Again holding on, Pebbles beating the boys after her old pal Come on the Blues walked her out to the gate, Miesque dominating on the grass, but, as great as these all are there is looking at Mrs. Lunger's face when Go For Wand went down in that tragic day at Belmont when three horses died and the sprint had Dayjur losing by jumping shadows. It really messed with Ron McAnally and his wife as well when interviewed afterwards. Reminds me of what a "class act" he is.

I cannot find too many better races than You/Carson Hollow at Saratoga or Easy Goer/Sunday Silence in the Preakness however.

DJofSD
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
when Go For Wand went down in that tragic day at Belmont

I remember that event all too well. To this day, I can not watch the race. I've even tossed my VHS tape of the broadcast. Yes, horses get hurt and they're put down -- I know, I've owned and bred horses -- but, for whatever reason, the break down of Go For Wand is something I avoid completely. It was bad when it happened and I don't ever care to relive it.

46zilzal
08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I remember that event all too well. To this day, I can not watch the race. I've even tossed my VHS tape of the broadcast. Yes, horses get hurt and they're put down -- I know, I've owned and bred horses -- but, for whatever reason, the break down of Go For Wand is something I avoid completely. It was bad when it happened and I don't ever care to relive it.

I work the gate camera every weekend. I am under instructions from my director NEVER to show any abuse or animals' hurt. I only wish the production crew that day had the same direction.

We recently had a young 2 year old flip in the gate. Thankfully he was only cut up. The sounds of that animal struggling were horrible. I just kept the camera back on the other animals who had not loaded and put my hand up over the mike.......IT doesn't take much to honor these animals and not show them in distress.

Dave Schwartz
08-31-2007, 03:26 PM

I am confused... you are a doctor who runs the gate camera?

Dave Schwartz

46zilzal
08-31-2007, 03:28 PM

I am confused... you are a doctor who runs the gate camera?

RETIRED doctor who is a cameraman on weekends.

DJofSD
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
We recently had a young 2 year old flip in the gate.

I've trained horses to load into a trailer. This is the one thing that makes me the most nervous about young horses. Knock on wood, I've never had an accident doing it. I've always taken a very slow methodical approach and will use an experience loader to help do the teaching. But when you can throw the lead over their neck and they'll walk in by themselves looking for the goodies to munch on, it is a very satisfying experience.