PDA

View Full Version : weekend of the "tough beat"

1st time lasix
08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
As an experienced exotic player i am used to a few near misses and the heartbreak of having a chalk just get up at the wire to beat my overlay on my pick four or trifecta plays...but this Friday/Saturday and Sunday was by far the emotional worst in a decade. Can't tell you how many photos at different venues I missed by a head bob. My simulcast partners started calling me "camera shy" by Saturday at 4....unfortunately it just continued through Sunday. By Sunday's feature at Saratoga I must have missed at least four or five signers by less than fifteen inches combined. :bang: Thank goodness i had "Life is a Cabernet" in a turf sprint at the Spa at a big price Saturday. Otherwise might have had a few stiff ones at the local bar afterward. It covered up a lot of those painful losses..... but like a tour player that lips out all his putts on the back nine.....I reminded myself never to take the nice wins for granted in this tough game!

46zilzal
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
One has to take heart. I had NINE photos that did not go my way in a row and on the 10th, when it did go my way, the DQ bit me. It happens.

BETKING
08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I know how you fill. Last week they ripped my hart out and I have been DQed more than I would like to remember.
:confused:

john del riccio
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
As an experienced exotic player i am used to a few near misses and the heartbreak of having a chalk just get up at the wire to beat my overlay on my pick four or trifecta plays...but this Friday/Saturday and Sunday was by far the emotional worst in a decade. Can't tell you how many photos at different venues I missed by a head bob. My simulcast partners started calling me "camera shy" by Saturday at 4....unfortunately it just continued through Sunday. By Sunday's feature at Saratoga I must have missed at least four or five signers by less than fifteen inches combined. :bang: Thank goodness i had "Life is a Cabernet" in a turf sprint at the Spa at a big price Saturday. Otherwise might have had a few stiff ones at the local bar afterward. It covered up a lot of those painful losses..... but like a tour player that lips out all his putts on the back nine.....I reminded myself never to take the nice wins for granted in this tough game!

After hearing your weekends beats, i don't feel so bad about First Defense & Grasshopper.........Keep the faith.

John

the_fat_man
08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
There are different types of tough beats.

If my horse gets a clear run and loses, I consider that part of the game and go on with it.

If my horse doesn't get a clear run (OFF SWEETS yesterday, for example: pinched/crunched between horses a few strides out of the gate, losing 3 or so lengths, then having to slalom her way through the stretch to eventually lose it all by 2 1/2 lengths), I also consider it part of the game, and go on with it.

There are 4 possibilities when one has an opinion:

1) it's completely wrong and the horse doesn't fire
1A) it's not completely wrong but the horse is not good enough to win the race and loses a close one (this is why there's place betting for those unable to get on the 'correct' horse)

2) it's completely wrong and the horse gets lucky (the best horse(s) finds trouble) and wins

3) it's on the money and the horse wins (very satisfying)

4) it's on the money and the horse is the victim of a bad trip and loses

The 4th option is the most difficult to deal with psychologically.

This is what makes the game so challenging. You not only need to be good, you also need to be lucky. BIG ASSES are definitely a PLUS.

Robert Fischer
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
There are 4 possibilities when one has an opinion:

1) it's completely wrong and the horse doesn't fire
1A) it's not completely wrong but the horse is not good enough to win the race and loses a close one (this is why there's place betting for those unable to get on the 'correct' horse)

2) it's completely wrong and the horse gets lucky (the best horse(s) finds trouble) and wins

3) it's on the money and the horse wins (very satisfying)

4) it's on the money and the horse is the victim of a bad trip and loses

Also add to these

- it's on the money and the horse(s) wins , and your wagering was lousy!

- you beat the big favorite and a horse you left out to save $20 pays $2000