PDA

View Full Version : data base program handicapping

formula_2002
12-26-2002, 07:29 PM
I'd be interested to know, and perhaps you would may want to know, just who uses data base analysis, to handicap.

Not spread sheets, but rather data base programs such as dBase.

Also, what is your data source?

I use dbase for windows and I download my data from the bris data files for all-ways and the exotic results file.

Thanks
Joe M

andicap
12-26-2002, 08:40 PM
go over to the HTR website. They all use Access with HTR.

formula_2002
12-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Andy, Hoosier Trail Riders?

Tried "HTR website" search and thats what I get..

Tom
12-26-2002, 09:16 PM
This is the forums link:

http://www.homebased2.com/forums/index.php

There is a section for Access Topics

This is the program area-check out downloads - there are some Access tutorials:

http://www.homebased2.com/km/msiez9987.htm

Asie from HTR, I also have a database of TrackMaster charts for limited tracks, and one for many tracks using GameTheory's parser.

If you are into DRf Formulator, you can export those files and put them into Access. Or even easier, there is a file called Millenium in the Formulator directory that is a full fledged Access database of every card you have open. Problem is, it goes away when yoou exit the program. But while still open, you can copy it and rename it whatever you want to - everything is already here for you to use.

cj
12-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Tom

If you are into DRf Formulator, you can export those files and put them into Access. Or even easier, there is a file called Millenium in the Formulator directory that is a full fledged Access database of every card you have open. Problem is, it goes away when yoou exit the program. But while still open, you can copy it and rename it whatever you want to - everything is already here for you to use.

Tom,

I thought that was my little secret you wise fellow you!

CJ

ranchwest
12-27-2002, 02:39 AM
I use the dBase files from Track Master (the PP files) and manipulate them with Clipper programs I wrote to build my own tables that I use for analysis. I also run programs to build summary output and also have a general query program that I use to interrogate my files.

formula_2002
12-27-2002, 06:32 AM
Ranch West, looks like I do somthing similar with the Bris All-Ways data files.

I used the Track Master data many years ago. If I remember correctly the data cost $1.00 per card. Does that price still hold?.

Perhaps I should revist their work. Any suggestions?

Larry Hamilton
12-27-2002, 06:44 AM
You can get TSN pp's for 60 bucks a month for all tracks every day. There is NO better deal. These files, made for PROCAP, feed any ACCESS files.

With this deal, you get the results as part of the package. The results also feed ACCESS.

formula_2002
12-27-2002, 06:47 AM
Larry do these files contain speed, class, pace, and other performance figures?

Thanks
Joe M

ps. can these down loaded dbf files be easily updated with the resulting odds, wps pay-outs and exactas, etc ?

Larry Hamilton
12-27-2002, 06:52 AM
yes, yes, yes, and yes

ps

I do it every day

If you are interested, Ill send you one to try out. Anyone interested, send me you email address

larry@hambowl.com

formula_2002
12-27-2002, 07:00 AM
Larry, thanks for the offer. Please send a results file with it .

Thanks.

I use dbase and excel. Any of those file formats would do.

Or better yet you can send whatever TM issues for the entries and results.

clarksonav@aol.com

ranchwest
12-27-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by formula_2002
Ranch West, looks like I do somthing similar with the Bris All-Ways data files.

I used the Track Master data many years ago. If I remember correctly the data cost $1.00 per card. Does that price still hold?.

Perhaps I should revist their work. Any suggestions?

The files are $1 or there is an unlimited monthly plan. The main reason I use TM files is that I use TM files. Nothing particularly special. In fact, I'm thinking about switching to something with more data, but I don't have much time for converting.

LOU M.
12-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Are the monthly files you are talking about usable with their custom PP generator?

Larry Hamilton
12-27-2002, 08:30 AM
the files aren't monthly, they are daily. I dont know if they run on their pp generator, fact is, I didnt know they (TSN)
had one. ... but if you email me, Ill send you a sample to play with.

Tom
12-27-2002, 08:39 AM
TSN PP Generator uses .eg, .frn, .mlc, .pc2, .jth, .tn file formats.
I don't have the latest version,. so there might be more now.

GR1@HTR
12-27-2002, 09:20 AM
formula02,

You are a brave man to shell out $7/pop for 100,000/200,000 races. That is a lot of cabbage for racefiles....

formula_2002
12-27-2002, 09:28 AM
You're right. I think the only way I'm going to recover that investment is to write a book!!!

ranchwest
12-27-2002, 09:43 AM
You're right. I think the only way I'm going to recover that investment is to write a book!!!

Chapter 1: Finding Data Files for Under $7

Larry Hamilton
12-27-2002, 10:33 AM
another tip: If you are not sure what extensions work (as mentioned by Tom above) but you are sure that its a comma delimited text file..CHANGE the extention to .txt and drive on.

Tom
12-27-2002, 06:19 PM

LOL - good one.