Street Sense will go down when he runs against good field

Let's see if Chicken Carl will run him against Curlin in Jockey Club Gold Cup

And hit Grasshopper,

anyone else see that.

Anyone know where you can see the head on reply,

I can't find it.

Tom
08-25-2007, 11:20 PM
From the head on reply, it looked like was well past him when veered over.
I thought he did at first, too.

BC fever
08-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Never Happened. Fact is if you watch closely, Borel switched the whip to his left hand near the finish. Which tell`s you he did`nt lug in. I tape the big races.Sorry:(

sammy the sage
08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
your right about that...he switched the whip to INTIMIDATE the other horse...which it did!!!!!!!!

and wow...SS looked twice as thick across the shoulder's; as the other horse...he has really filled out...that was also intimidating!

whobet
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Tom,

where did you see the Head-on replay ???

Ron
08-26-2007, 08:34 PM
This is what Borel had to say:

"HE DID HIS JOB"

August 25, 2007

Walking to the paddock, I was trying not to pay attention to the commotion. I wanted to focus on what I needed to do, which was put Street Sense in a position where he could win at all times. There didn't look to be much pace in the race, and when the gates opened, they were going slow. I had Street Sense closer to the pace than I usually do.

When I hooked Grasshopper up, I thought I had him measured pretty good, and in the last 40 yards, when Street Sense got by him, he went to messing around. I hit him a couple of times, and then he kind of put it away.

I know how Street Sense is -- once he gets in front, he kind of gives up a little bit. I was riding him, but I wanted to give him a target at all times. He did what I wanted him to do. He did his job, and I'm happy with that.

After the race, Robby (Albarado, aboard Grasshopper) high-fived me and told me "congratulations." We had the two best horses in the country in Street Sense and Curlin - I beat him in the Kentucky Derby and he beat me in the Preakness. I wound up beating Robby again today. We go way back. We grew up together. Two country guys doing so good -- it's like a dream come true.

http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/stories/BloggingwithBorel.shtml

jballscalls
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
street sense gets in every race it seems like!!

Tom
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Tom,

where did you see the Head-on replay ???

ESPN. Showed the stretch run becasue they thought he bore in, too.

Stevie Belmont
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM
He lugs in every race....And despite it all he is a great champ.

Premier Turf Club
08-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Street Sense really doesn't like SAR. He is a big footed horse and it's generally those little deer-footed horses that do well at the spa (see Lawyer Ron).

MTH, site of the BC is similar to SAR in that it is generally kinder to the small footed horse so SS might be a good bet against in the BC.

Anybody have the figure for the Travers? My guess is he ran no better than in the Jim Dandy.

ghostyapper
08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Street Sense really doesn't like SAR. He is a big footed horse and it's generally those little deer-footed horses that do well at the spa (see Lawyer Ron).

MTH, site of the BC is similar to SAR in that it is generally kinder to the small footed horse so SS might be a good bet against in the BC.

Anybody have the figure for the Travers? My guess is he ran no better than in the Jim Dandy.

Street sense got a 108 for the travers, 106 for hard spun

jotb
08-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Never Happened. Fact is if you watch closely, Borel switched the whip to his left hand near the finish. Which tell`s you he did`nt lug in. I tape the big races.Sorry:(

I'm not sure you have that right. Why do you think Borel switched to his left hand?

joe

Premier Turf Club
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Street sense got a 108 for the travers, 106 for hard spun

He is a very good horse to have run so well over a track he doesn't care for. I do think he is vulnerable at MTH though.

ratpack
08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
They showed the head on 3 times when I was at Del Mar and while Grasshopper did move out you could always see daylight between them. IMHO

DanG
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM

This is an excellent point IMO.

Even his behavior has changed up there. He is acting up in the AM, balking on his way to the track. You could see a completely different Nafzger at the Spa then we saw on the TC trail. He did not exude the confidence Travers week he did all spring.

If he “does” actually like Saratoga (more than we think) then he is a racehorse who is getting “smart” as trainers like to call it. Doing just enough in the AM / afternoon and not letting it rip the way he can naturally.

Either way…as Ian said, the BC should be VERY interesting. If it were run tomorrow Any Given Saturday is clearly the “now” horse of the 3yo’s IMO.

PS: This is no knock on the champ. It’s the sign of a top thoroughbred when they don’t like the surroundings and / or don’t get their preferred trip they still get the money. He showed true class at the Spa as always. As the late / great Woody Stephens always said…”A good horse will run over broken glass”.

john del riccio
08-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Even his behavior has changed up there. He is acting up in the AM, balking on his way to the track. You could see a completely different Nafzger at the Spa then we saw on the TC trail. He did not exude the confidence Travers week he did all spring.

If he “does” actually like Saratoga (more than we think) then he is a racehorse who is getting “smart” as trainers like to call it. Doing just enough in the AM / afternoon and not letting it rip the way he can naturally.

Either way…as Ian said, the BC should be VERY interesting. If it were run tomorrow Any Given Saturday is clearly the “now” horse of the 3yo’s IMO.

PS: This is no knock on the champ. It’s the sign of a top thoroughbred when they don’t like the surroundings and / or don’t get their preferred trip they still get the money. He showed true class at the Spa as always. As the late / great Woody Stephens always said…”A good horse will run over broken glass”.

Dan,

I think Calvin Borel deserves much of the credit for that Travers victory, Grasshopper was dead game and I don't think you could have squeezed some dental floss between SS & GH or GH & the rail. With a little more room, GH may have just eeked that one out; too bad for me, I had GH...

As for AGS, after the Dwyer at BEL, I noted here that I thought that race made him the best 3yo in the country, he delivered in the Haskell, but if Lawter Ron runs they way hid did at SAR, they are all running for 2nd money.

The funny thing is that LR didn't run even his B race at MTH so I don't know if he didn't really like the track or they just didnt have him cranked up for his race there.

John

PS There is no way I would run Hard Spun in the classic, that would have to go down as one of the biggest errors of judgement since Paragallo ran Unbridled Song in the Derby. HS isn't going to beat older horses going 1 1/4 mi, it just aint gonna happen.

john del riccio
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Ian,

From most recent (travers) to his 3yo debut at TAM; SS speed figs

81 (SAR)
81 (BEL)
82 (PIM)
82 (CD)
80 (Kee)
80 (Tam)

The Travers pace was slower than the Jim Dandy.

John

PS I doubt an 82 wins the classic.

NYPlayer
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I would take even money that SS gets HOY honors. The Classic will be tough, but if Curlin loses the JC, then I'd say Street Sense a shoe-in even if he loses (but runs well in) the BC.

whobet
08-27-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure you have that right. Why do you think Borel switched to his left hand?

joe

I agree with this,

does everybody agree they bumped,
I have no doubt about this,
and right after that there was seperation between the two,
up till then they were almost nose to nose.

NYPlayer
08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree with this,

does everybody agree they bumped,
I have no doubt about this,
and right after that there was seperation between the two,
up till then they were almost nose to nose.

It could have been (and probably was) Grasshopper bearing out. In the end it was not really a very close finish. The offical margin was a half length, but it looked to me like it was at least 3/4.

joeyreb
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM

I agree...

I always thought Any Given Saturday was Pletcher's best colt, but Tampa route to Derby and of coarse post 18 gave him no shot in the Derby...

But, look out for some colts on prep trail from this spring coming back after injuries

Noble Court won easy against his elders going to two turns at Del Mar at first asking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhxcXnPXNM

Notional should be coming back to track soon and Exhale has posted two works recently

DanG
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree...

I always thought Any Given Saturday was Pletcher's best colt, but Tampa route to Derby and of coarse post 18 gave him no shot in the Derby...

Joey,

OK…I live here and I’m sure it colors my response…but…

What does the “Tampa” route have to do with his Derby performance? It didn’t hurt the champ.

DanG
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Dan,

I think Calvin Borel deserves much of the credit for that Travers victory, Grasshopper was dead game and I don't think you could have squeezed some dental floss between SS & GH or GH & the rail. With a little more room, GH may have just eeked that one out; too bad for me, I had GH...

Good point John,

I think in talking about Street Sense possibly not preferring the Spa, its easy not to give Grasshopper his due. Those two left that field for dead at the top of the lane.

Very nice improving animal for smart / conservative connections. (Howard & Farish)

Getting the trip specifically at Monmouth will be critical in this years cup IMO.

OTM Al
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree with Dan, the "Tampa route" is no longer second rate and if Gulfstream keeps screwing around, it may be the main way to go for those based in Florida soon. Its not like they are doing the Arizona route or something.....

Sure SS will be vulnerable at Mth. I think this year's Classic is the most wide open in the last 3 years anyway. Last 2 years seemed pretty clear cut to me. This year not so much. Funny thing is it seems to me that Mth would be the right type of track for Lava Man out of all that he's tried out of CA, but they don't seem to be going for it this year. On or near the lead might make for a good battle between Lawyer Ron and AGS, though this Gotcha Gold should not be ignored as he seems to love the place. SS will have to run up on the pace as he did in the Travers to have any chance and I just don't think he will be able to hold up there with older. Hard Spun in the Mile Dirt will be a nice fit. He's got his G1, and on the board in all TC races plus an additional G1 placing, so a BC win, despite it not being graded, will still have prestige enough for him and he is perfectly suited for that sort of race. Nice group of 3yos huh, and I haven't even said anything about Curlin, and who knows, Grasshopper could be the man, er horse, of this group next year.

Kelso
08-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Is it the turns at SAR that cause this ... the surface ... something else? Is it the same factor(s) at MTH?

Thank you.

gIracing
08-28-2007, 01:27 AM
ahh... a easy triped 108 with a short tride and it wasn't a guarantee

I'm out on thie 3YO field. Rag's might be the best 3YO in the country

and SHE is more than likely the 2nd best 3YO filly the owner owns

gIracing
08-28-2007, 01:35 AM
actually this year's BC is as clear as day to me.

If Premium Tap runs, the race doesn't need to be ran.

I would have a few more questions wiht Asiatic boy if he made the trip over here, however still.. he's better than any dirt horse we have, and he's a dirt horse, not a turfer.

If it was stuck between everything in america, the first horse to 115 beyer wins. I don't think there is a horse now that can do it. I dont' think Lawyer Ron wants any of that.. I'll go with his multiple faliures in grade 1's over 1 race where he got a track record over a weak field.. throw everything west of the mississippi out. so you have Street Sense, Curlin, AGS, maybe Tiago, maybe Master Command....

I tell you what. If master command can give me a valid excuse, a REAL valid excuse for the Stpehen Foster.. I'm going long baby.

I'll throw out an even bigger longshot (who might be the best T'Bred no one in the country knows aobut, however they should, as quickly as possible)

If Todd Pletcher can put enough Duck Tape, Band Aid's and any other medical supplies he can find around on Harlington... watch out.

this is a horse that when he's good, when he's anywhere near close to right, is a top tier Dirt horse. not upper class dirt horse... Dubai World cup/BC Classic type world horse. he literarly..toyed with Premium Tap last year at Gulfstream and drew off in hand.

right now Premium Tap is prolaby the best if not top 3 dirt horses in the world.

Harligotn's problem is, he's about as sound as a 2 legged elephant.

every time, he'd draw off and win in hand. then the next race he would be beat down to silly money, and would come up with an injury in the race and be out 6-7 months.

he's I think 5 and has only raced 8 times. Can't say he's not fresh.

oh well, I can dream