PDA

View Full Version : ODDS Fluxuation

punteray
08-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I have been watching the tote board and I understand what makes a horses ODDS go down but what makes them go back up or fluxuate?

Ray

Speed I know! Horses, I don't!

Overlay
08-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Money bet on a horse that increases that horse's share of the total pool of win bets makes the horse's odds go down. Money bet on other horses in the race that decreases the horse's share of the total pool makes the horse's odds go up. Even if a horse's odds go down because a lot of money has been bet on the horse at some point, the odds on that horse can still go back up if more money is proportionately bet after that on one or more of the other horses in the race before the betting ends. (Or was this the point of your question?)

punteray
08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Right on target!!

Thanks

Ray

Speed, I know! Horses, I don't!

DJofSD
08-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Bishop, CA -- really? I'm envious. That is one of the more beautiful places in CA. I hope you take advantage of the fishing opportunities. And the skiing, and hiking and general sight seeing.

kenwoodallpromos
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Money bet on a horse that increases that horse's share of the total pool of win bets makes the horse's odds go down. Money bet on other horses in the race that decreases the horse's share of the total pool makes the horse's odds go up. Even if a horse's odds go down because a lot of money has been bet on the horse at some point, the odds on that horse can still go back up if more money is proportionately bet after that on one or more of the other horses in the race before the betting ends. (Or was this the point of your question?)
________
Is that the same as the pool adjustment according to bettors' perception of tote odds relative to perceived actual true odds?

Overlay
08-25-2007, 03:59 PM
________
Is that the same as the pool adjustment according to bettors' perception of tote odds relative to perceived actual true odds?

If I understand your question, since the tote odds have already been adjusted by the deduction of the take and breakage to reflect the payoff that the bettor will actually receive on a win wager, a handicapper's own estimation of the true odds for the horses in a race can be compared directly with the tote odds in order to determine which horses are overlaid and which are not (provided that the handicapper's estimation of true odds is based on a 100% line). There's no need to adjust the tote odds further in making that comparison, since the payoff the handicapper will receive will correspond to the tote odds.

punteray
08-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, physical infirmities and age prevent me from being to athletic.

BUT,according to the latest issue of National Geographic, it is paradise in California. (according to me, too).:jump:

Ray

Speed, I know! Horses, I don't!