PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream at it again

OTM Al
08-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Those of you looking through the DRF today may have noticed that Gulfstream has already released its 2008 schedule. While I do agree that there are several things need be done there for fans, I do like to get out of NYC in February and go see some top horses run. After missing last year due to Super Bowl pricing down there, we are already booking our winter trip.

A closer look at the schedule though shows something very interesting in their 3yo series. The Fla Derby and Fountain of Youth are unchanged, but the Holy Bull has been changed drastically. It is now placed 3 weeks before the Derby and will be run at 1 3/16 miles. Yep just 1/16th less that the Derby itself.

I am torn on this. 1st, I like longer races and anything that encourages more staying in the sport is good. But I think they have made a terrible scheduling blunder here. Now the Gulfstream prep picture consists basically of only 2 races. Yes, the do have earlier 3yo races, but they are only 7f races. If they really wanted to grab attention with a 3yo race of that distance might not it have been better to run the Fountain of Youth in February, the Florida Derby in March where it used to be and then run this revised Holy Bull in April, 4 weeks out? That way horsemen would have the chance to use the Fla Derby the way they used to as the first G1 prep of the year and then have the option to go on to the Wood or Blugrass or Arkansas, or stick around in Fla and run this longer distance race.

I won't rip Gulfstream because I think they are trying to do something positive here, but I have to question this plan.

point given
08-25-2007, 01:39 PM
i hear Tampa is nice that time of year too ! Many folks are heading there, where they appreciate their horse racing customers, and the Pletchers & Nafzgers have gone to prep their 3 yo s the past couple years. Gulfstream = slots & restaurants; Tampa = player friendly horseracing.

PS - gulfstream tries to lengthen their meet, but everyone is leaving before & after the florida derby. snowbirds leave April 1st.

Those of you looking through the DRF today may have noticed that Gulfstream has already released its 2008 schedule. While I do agree that there are several things need be done there for fans, I do like to get out of NYC in February and go see some top horses run. After missing last year due to Super Bowl pricing down there, we are already booking our winter trip.

A closer look at the schedule though shows something very interesting in their 3yo series. The Fla Derby and Fountain of Youth are unchanged, but the Holy Bull has been changed drastically. It is now placed 3 weeks before the Derby and will be run at 1 3/16 miles. Yep just 1/16th less that the Derby itself.

I am torn on this. 1st, I like longer races and anything that encourages more staying in the sport is good. But I think they have made a terrible scheduling blunder here. Now the Gulfstream prep picture consists basically of only 2 races. Yes, the do have earlier 3yo races, but they are only 7f races. If they really wanted to grab attention with a 3yo race of that distance might not it have been better to run the Fountain of Youth in February, the Florida Derby in March where it used to be and then run this revised Holy Bull in April, 4 weeks out? That way horsemen would have the chance to use the Fla Derby the way they used to as the first G1 prep of the year and then have the option to go on to the Wood or Blugrass or Arkansas, or stick around in Fla and run this longer distance race.

I won't rip Gulfstream because I think they are trying to do something positive here, but I have to question this plan.