PDA

View Full Version : NYRA does it again? JCGC

cj's dad
08-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Can anyone explain the logic behind the move from the usual Saturday running of the Jockey's Club Gold Cup to Sunday (9/30). Must want to show they can compete with the NFL for viewers:bang:

ghostyapper
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Can anyone explain the logic behind the move from the usual Saturday running of the Jockey's Club Gold Cup to Sunday (9/30). Must want to show they can compete with the NFL for viewers:bang:

Well they just cancelled my trip to the race this year.

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2007, 10:16 PM
My guess is that ESPN has something bigger planned for Saturday 9/29 so NYRA moved it to Sunday 9/30 this year....

Tom
08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Tibetan Girls's Spelling Bee.
Or Amish Rake Fighting.

Premier Turf Club
08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Tibetan Girls's Spelling Bee.
Or Amish Rake Fighting.

:lol:

njcurveball
08-25-2007, 02:04 AM
My guess is that ESPN has something bigger planned for Saturday 9/29 so NYRA moved it to Sunday 9/30 this year....

Saturdays on ESPN at that time have college football which draws big ratings. I know most here will not believe this, but even bigger than a horse race in New York!

cj's dad
08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Saturdays on ESPN at that time have college football which draws big ratings. I know most here will not believe this, but even bigger than a horse race in New York!

This is not meant to be a smart remark, but this is certainly not the first year that the JCGC has competed with college ball.

I would be willing to wager that the on track attendance this year will be even lower than last year, when it looked like a ghost town!

After the blanket giveaway, the place was virtually empty!!!

Indulto
08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
This is not meant to be a smart remark, but this is certainly not the first year that the JCGC has competed with college ball.

I would be willing to wager that the on track attendance this year will be even lower than last year, when it looked like a ghost town!

After the blanket giveaway, the place was virtually empty!!!That could have been due to a combination of factors including an unappetizing card of multiple, tiny field, uncompetitve stakes (if the horsemen didn't care enough to enter, why should the fans care enough to watch) as well as more attractive college matchups/betting opportunities than the anticipated horizontal exotics at BEL.

In any event, the switch from Sat. to Sun. may be a worthwhile experiment for a franchise that needs all the handle it can get.