PDA

View Full Version : Press Release

chickenhead
08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd like to suggest that a more controlled press release be put out following Saturdays what I hope to be quite successful action. I think its important to try and drive this story into the media while controlling what the message is.

I'd like to nominate our host PA, and Andicap if he is available (as a professional writer who deals with the media regularly) to be in charge of putting it together. I certainly trust both (or either one) of them to put together a coherent piece that puts the action in the proper light.

Perhaps some others with racing media ties could volunteer to help see that it gets into the best hands possible when it gets released.

I don't think this is the sort of thing that can be done by committee, or hashed out in public, I'd just as soon we agree to put our trust in the aforementioned two and leave it at that.

prospector
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
great idea

Tom
08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd say it was too late to do much for Saturday.
Many people are already handicapping cards.

chickenhead
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd say it was too late to do much for Saturday.
Many people are already handicapping cards.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean the press release that follows Saturday. We need to follow up describing our action, explaining why (again), detailing the increase in handle, etc. The money shot, for lack of a better phrase.

Indulto
08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean the press release that follows Saturday. We need to follow up describing our action, explaining why (again), detailing the increase in handle, etc. The money shot, for lack of a better phrase.I second Chicks suggestion.

DanG
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd like to suggest that a more controlled press release be put out following Saturdays what I hope to be quite successful action. I think its important to try and drive this story into the media while controlling what the message is.

I'd like to nominate our host PA, and Andicap if he is available (as a professional writer who deals with the media regularly) to be in charge of putting it together. I certainly trust both (or either one) of them to put together a coherent piece that puts the action in the proper light.

This makes perfect sense to me.

It’s very important to carry a consistent tone throughout this movement. I'm not suggesting we should resurrect Jimmy Hoffa, but if every teamster / handicapper spoke with an independent voice it could splinter the message and our core goals will be lost.

Thanks again to everyone putting forth the effort for all of us!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

betovernetcapper
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a dynamite exacta to me but I'd add Speedking to complete the tri. :)

Tom
08-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean the press release that follows Saturday. We need to follow up describing our action, explaining why (again), detailing the increase in handle, etc. The money shot, for lack of a better phrase.

D'oh!
You said FOLLOWING right in the top line.
My left eye already went to bed and I am only reading every other word tonight!

I gotta think a couple of sawbucks would show up in the pools there! Not often a Finger Lakes guy gets to look a track and say "Boy, is this a cheap track!" :D

chickenhead
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I was curious if stu or anyone else can answer: What is ALBs biggest handle, ever? And also what was their total handle from last Saturday?

I see no reason to aim low...it would be nice to at least know what the record one day handle is...if its surpassed it should be noted. Likewise it would be good to coordinate with ALBs press office, Saturdays activity should be worthy of a press release from them.

And again I hope everyone with media contacts makes contact with PA, Speedking, someone...we really want to push this to as many people as possible, get all that contact info in one place. You can't rely on the media to declare victory for you, you've got to do it yourself...they will print it. 90% of what they do is printing press releases.

Kelso
08-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Two very good nomineees for the writing task, but I strongly suggest BONC and RRBauer be included in any discussion of content.

chickenhead
08-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Two very good nomineees for the writing task, but I strongly suggest BONC and RRBauer be included in any discussion of content.

There are no doubt many many people on this board who could contribute ably.

I just don't believe committees work for things like this. Obviously I think the two I named can do a fantastic job...and realistically, its a press release, a summary, not the Magna Carta.

In any case, whatever is decided will work. My main focus was to get us thinking about it now, rather than scrambling on Saturday night.

bigmack
08-23-2007, 11:55 PM
And also what was their total handle from last Saturday?
How viable is Alb with Q's 1-5 & 9?

Handle on Sat 18th:

R1:12
R2:17.5
R3:12.8
R4:14.5
R5:16.5
R6:22.6
R7:22.7
R8:24.5
R9:24.4
R0:22.5

chickenhead
08-24-2007, 12:00 AM
so 190K is the comparable (and if that is favorable to us due to 2 more QH races last Sat, thats a distinction we'll leave to someone else to worry about)

thanks mack

so there is the bar gentleman...it will take a significant effort to move it. I hope we've got what it takes.

DeanT
08-24-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm betting to show. Trying to bet as much as I can. Ill play live.

I hope I suck less than usual.

Nice thoughts on this thread Chickenhead.

DanG
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm betting to show. Trying to bet as much as I can. Ill play live.
Good point Dean;

This is not the time to play .10 cent supers IMO. Churn as much as we can / as safely as we can. A decent handle break even day is a major step forward.

PS: That’s all we would need…have this thing take off and give these poor guys a minus pool!!! :lol:

DeanT
08-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Good point Dean;

This is not the time to play .10 cent supers IMO. Churn as much as we can / as safely as we can. A decent handle break even day is a major step forward.

PS: That’s all we would need…have this thing take off and give these poor guys a minus pool!!! :lol:

Scenario: Ernie Dahlman comes in and bets $2500 to show to show his support, the horse runs out.

Overheard by an old lady at the track : "Who was the stupid handicapper who bet that horse to show?":D

Robert Fischer
08-24-2007, 09:13 AM

Perhaps some others with racing media ties could volunteer to help see that it gets into the best hands possible when it gets released.

I don't think this is the sort of thing that can be done by committee, or hashed out in public, I'd just as soon we agree to put our trust in the aforementioned two and leave it at that.

agreed

DanG
08-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Scenario: Ernie Dahlman comes in and bets $2500 to show to show his support, the horse runs out.

Overheard by an old lady at the track : "Who was the stupid handicapper who bet that horse to show?":D
Exactly!!! :lol:

Ernie, if you’re listening…don’t let this discourage you. You have the green light to swing 3 & 0. :jump:

coolbreeze3332000
08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Im in, I can finally get it out of my system, The first thing I can say is I love all you folks who got the guts to stand up and make a difference. I have been so upset I can feel the steam rising from having to go back and forth to different sites to get my bets in. And these guys are real lucky they don't have to deal with us one on one, Because this is way out of hand. And I can tell you right now there is no way were not going to make a difference, So you can put that thought right out of your head, Horse players like us are very very dedicated, And we will not put up with whats going on, And we will not stop, We will do whatever it takes to make a change, And get things back in order, We should settle for nothing less than freedom to bet any track at any site. If we have to take it to the bank. Hit em in the pocket books, You got it! They have no idea the power of the people. And I do! And you gotta snowball a roll,en Even if sat. just gets the news out, Its going to catch on, I for one will do what ever it takes to keep this momentum alive, Im thinking of printing up some leaflets and getting them out at Ken. Downs. What ever it takes we gotta belive. Breeze Wheres the spell check!

Storm Cadet
08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I have a NYRA One account and they are not taking any action on ALB? :confused:

BillW
08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
It should be mentioned in any press release that a percentage of players do not even have access to ALB, to emphasize the point we're trying to make.

rrbauer
08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
The lowest takeout at Albuquerque is 19% on their WPS pools. Betting into these pools have the lowest cost and will enable us to concentrate our efforts towards making a noticeable difference.

As to Andicap doing the press release, I understood him to say last weekend that he was heading for England this week....don't know if he will be available.

john del riccio
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
OK,

Somebody send some figs for ALB, I don't do the circuit so I'd like to have something to work with.

JOhn

Ponyplayr
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Im in, I can finally get it out of my system, The first thing I can say is I love all you folks who got the guts to stand up and make a difference. I have been so upset I can feel the steam rising from having to go back and forth to different sites to get my bets in. And these guys are real lucky they don't have to deal with us one on one, Because this is way out of hand. And I can tell you right now there is no way were not going to make a difference, So you can put that thought right out of your head, Horse players like us are very very dedicated, And we will not put up with whats going on, And we will not stop, We will do whatever it takes to make a change, And get things back in order, We should settle for nothing less than freedom to bet any track at any site. If we have to take it to the bank. Hit em in the pocket books, You got it! They have no idea the power of the people. And I do! And you gotta snowball a roll,en Even if sat. just gets the news out, Its going to catch on, I for one will do what ever it takes to keep this momentum alive, Im thinking of printing up some leaflets and getting them out at Ken. Downs. What ever it takes we gotta belive. Breeze Wheres the spell check!Power to the people my brother.

it's all about credibility..We got it and the Pigs don't.

chickenhead
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
As to Andicap doing the press release, I understood him to say last weekend that he was heading for England this week....don't know if he will be available.

You are correct, that had totally slipped my mind.

speedking
08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I was forced off-line by travel the past couple days, but will definitely be following up with all connections after a successful day tomorrow. Let's make it just that!

Will post TB analysis or picks in the selections section tomorrow morning for ALB.

speedking

Premier Turf Club
08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I was forced off-line by travel the past couple days, but will definitely be following up with all connections after a successful day tomorrow. Let's make it just that!

Will post TB analysis or picks in the selections section tomorrow morning for ALB.

speedking

I posted this elsewhere as well, but CJ has provided his figs for tomorrow for ALB. Hooray!

singunner
08-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Just joined up and finally managed to drop some cash in PTC for tomorrow. I bet purely along my program's output, so you kids who don't believe in computer programs might have 300 easy dollars floating around if you can take it.

HASHIRE BASASHI!

Scav
08-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I agree with this 100%, it should be in their hands for Sunday Morning or Monday Morning release.

Great idea

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Here's my first draft....let me know whatcha think:

PARI-MUTUEL “BUYCOTT” RESULTS IN 78.5% HANDLE JUMP
Horseplayers’ Show Of Force Sets Meet Record At The Downs At Albuquerque

New York, August 26, 2007 – Dubbed “Step Two” in the struggle to fix the current Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW) quagmire plaguing the horse racing industry, a large group of horseplayers from PaceAdvantage.com set their sights on The Downs at Albuquerque Saturday afternoon, staging a betting “buycott” of the small New Mexico racetrack, the results of which surpassed even optimistic estimates.

According to figures released by Equibase, off track handle Saturday at The Downs totaled $126,057, marking a 78.5% increase over the prior week’s figure of $70,596. Saturday’s buycott-inflated off track handle alone compares favorably to the prior weekend’s two-day total off track handle of $145,802, a weekend which included nine stakes races among the twenty total contested over the two-day period. There were no stakes races run during Saturday’s ten race buycott card.

“Unofficially, today’s handle was the highest of the meet,” proclaimed Stuart Slagle, racing secretary at The Downs at Albuquerque.

Sadly, for horsemen and the racing industry as a whole, the current state of online wagering prevented today’s handle from soaring even higher, as many handicappers discovered they couldn’t wager on The Downs through their current ADW service. Their only recourse was to register accounts at multiple ADWs, or sit the buycott out altogether, adding to the frustration and anger that has given birth to the current players’ movement on PaceAdvantage.com.

The success of “Step Two” comes on the heels of a petition drafted recently on PaceAdvantage.com that implores The Jockey Club and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association to step in and mediate an end to the dispute between various ADW companies, which has resulted in a fractured online wagering landscape. Both the petition and Saturday’s buycott were designed to empower an often ignored but vitally important component of the horse racing industry, the wagering customer.

The petition enabled horseplayers to speak to the industry with a unified voice. Saturday in New Mexico, the buycott enabled them to unleash an even more powerful force of change…their wallets.

The Judge
08-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Well I bet everyTbred race on the card. Long live the internet and creative ideas!

bigmack
08-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Nice construction PA.

For what it's worth:

*loose "as" after dubbed
*change mess to quagmire
*after paragraph 2 perhaps interject something about the handle being augmented further if many that didn't would have had ready access to wagering Alb

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Your suggestions have been duly noted and implemented....thanks!

GameTheory
08-26-2007, 04:30 AM
You gave a good statement of "what", but there needs to be something in there about "why" -- why we bet Albuquerque specifically I mean...

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 04:47 AM
I believe we chose ALB because:

small size (bigger impact)
desire to promote a smaller venue
racing secretary is a member of PA
they support player friendly ADWs like PTC
Now, if anyone would like to add to the above and/or form it into something I can plop into the press release, I'd really appreciate it....as it's going on 5am here and I really have to get some sleep.....:lol:

GameTheory
08-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Hash it out on Sunday and release it Monday morning...

kenwoodallpromos
08-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Nothing specific to add, but I like it that our members did well at ALB. Online is said to be 10% of betting ($300 million takeout ONLY!), but on track in the USA has gone down each year since 1996 according to Jockey Club stats. Is Mountaineer next?

OverlayHunter
08-26-2007, 07:08 AM
PA,

I want to add my "thank you" for all that you've done on this issue and to all who participated, have shared their ideas and who have otherwidse made a contribution to this important effort.

The press release is very well written. Besides the limited number of ADW handicappers who had ALB available to wager, the only thing I can think of that might add to the context of the handle increase is a little comment of the very brief time there was to organize.

I was a proud participant, though I had to swallow my disgust and wipe off the cobwebs to place the wager through Brisbet (a necessary evil for me at the moment). My plan is to open a PTC account in about 2 months when some critical family issues are resolved.

jma
08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Very nice job with the press release PA. You summed everything up well. The only change that definitely should be made is in the headline: "Pari-Mutuel" is the spelling, not "Pari-Mutel". I think there'd be a few laughs on us if we got that one wrong! :)

Thanks for all your hard work on this.
Jerry

stuball
08-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Please don't release it with the spelling wrong or the public will think it came from 1 of the tracks......................lol

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Stuball
:ThmbUp:

DJofSD
08-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I thought the petition was presented to the Jockey Club just one week ago.

ryesteve
08-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I would change "both the petition and buycott are designed" to "were designed".

Also, the sentence, "Saturday’s buycott-inflated off track handle alone compares favorably to the prior weekend’s combined off track numbers ($145,802)", is a bit confusing and might leave a cursory reader with the idea that the handle last weekend was higher, not realizing you're comparing one day against two. I would retain the comparison that highlights the difference in the quality of racing over the past two weekends, but make the comparison against the daily average last weekend, not the total.

Pace Cap'n
08-26-2007, 10:28 AM

Also, the sentence, "Saturday’s buycott-inflated off track handle alone compares favorably to the prior weekend’s combined off track numbers ($145,802)", is a bit confusing and might leave a cursory reader with the idea that the handle last weekend was higher, not realizing you're comparing one day against two. I would retain the comparison that highlights the difference in the quality of racing over the past two weekends, but make the comparison against the daily average last weekend, not the total.

Good point ryesteve, but I might consider deleting the comparison. The +78.5% speaks for itself.

Overall, a very good press release.

melman
08-26-2007, 10:35 AM
First a big thanks to all who are joining in on this maybe some eyes will be opened. I would like to suggest that in the future we take a look at the HAW t-bred meet and ways in which we can skyrocket there handle. Why HAW?? From what Ian at PTC has said HAW is a "friendly" track willing to take on all ADW's and the effect of a procott would be larger because more people would be able to bet HAW. I would have no problem with Mountaineer either as they are the same way it's just that HAW is a day time track and I think would get more of the t-bred players. I think this would also make it clear that this action of ours is not just a "pro-PTC" effort but an effort to get ALL of the ADW's able to carry any track. Maybe "Steve the Stat Man" could chip in here about HAW and if this would be a good way to go.

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Very nice job with the press release PA. You summed everything up well. The only change that definitely should be made is in the headline: "Pari-Mutuel" is the spelling, not "Pari-Mutel". I think there'd be a few laughs on us if we got that one wrong! :)

Good catch on the typo....thanks!

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 10:58 AM

I believe I originally had it as were, then changed it to are....you're right though, were is the way to go....

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I thought the petition was presented to the Jockey Club just one week ago.

It was, but the petition began August 13....then again, our voices were heard last Sunday at the JC, which is one week ago....so you're right, I will make the change....

DeanT
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Excellent release. I think that says it all.

I especially liked this, which others have noted needed to be said. It captured it perfectly with the "hey guys it would have been higher but...."

Loved it!

Sadly, for horsemen and the racing industry as a whole, the current state of online wagering prevented today’s handle from soaring even higher, as many handicappers discovered they couldn’t wager on The Downs through their current ADW service. Their only recourse was to register accounts at multiple ADWs, or sit the buycott out altogether, adding to the frustration and anger that has given birth to the current players’ movement on PaceAdvantage.com.

It's that kind of stuff that allows Bill Finley, Bloodhorse, DRF et al to pick up and run with. Well done.

prospector
08-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Excellent release. I think that says it all.

I especially liked this, which others have noted needed to be said. It captured it perfectly with the "hey guys it would have been higher but...."

Loved it!

It's that kind of stuff that allows Bill Finley, Bloodhorse, DRF et al to pick up and run with. Well done.
agreed..that was the whole arguement in one paragraph..well done

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM

I changed that sentence around a bit and believe it is clearer now with your helpful advice.

I think we're ready to go final here....

DeanT
08-26-2007, 11:44 AM
It goes to show that it was a good decision to tackle a small handle track. "80% increase" makes a good headline.

I hope in a couple of weeks or whenever if we do the same kind of thing, it is at a small place where similar handle gains can be shown. Bumping some place from 320K to 380K does not quite have the same effect, imo.

Regardless, huge thumbs up to PA, Betover and Ian (I don't think he made too much/anything yesterday because he gave back the bulk of his slice to the player) for a job well done in getting this rolling.

betovernetcapper
08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Beautifully written-send it off
BTW I have a rhetorical question, if an 80% increase in handle is possible in a shoot from the hip buycott, what might be the result of a planed well coordinated action?

kenwoodallpromos
08-26-2007, 02:16 PM
BTW I have a rhetorical question, if an 80% increase in handle is possible in a shoot from the hip buycott, what might be the result of a planed well coordinated action?
You mean if we get 1 $100,000 brigdgejumper on board? LOL!!
Maybe someone can post a few daily handles frpm various tracks on the forum. I like doing a Saturday, but maybe a weekday at a bigger track eventually...
Icsauppose MNR and LA Downs would be considered. Another forum I hear bets TBD heavily.

rrbauer
08-26-2007, 02:18 PM

I'm hoping that what EVERYONE learned is that it is possible to work together towards a common goal. Ultimately, increasing the handle of some second tier track is not the show of strength that we need. We need actions that will result in CHANGE. I hope that everyone realizes that this battle has just begun.

betovernetcapper
08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
You mean if we get 1 $100,000 brigdgejumper on board? LOL!!

Why only 1? :lol:

betovernetcapper
08-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm hoping that what EVERYONE learned is that it is possible to work together towards a common goal. Ultimately, increasing the handle of some second tier track is not the show of strength that we need. We need actions that will result in CHANGE. I hope that everyone realizes that this battle has just begun.

dead on-ditto

Indulto
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
It goes to show that it was a good decision to tackle a small handle track. "80% increase" makes a good headline.

I hope in a couple of weeks or whenever if we do the same kind of thing, it is at a small place where similar handle gains can be shown. Bumping some place from 320K to 380K does not quite have the same effect, imo.

Regardless, huge thumbs up to PA, Betover and Ian (I don't think he made too much/anything yesterday because he gave back the bulk of his slice to the player) for a job well done in getting this rolling.DT,
Unable to play ALB, I did the next best thing and played the Travers Day P4 at HOL where I tried to gauge awareness of the Procott without getting thrown out. (I didn’t suggest it beforehand for just that reason.) I figured if I could get at least one other horseplayer enthused, or at least to contribute a worthwhile idea, then I’d have done my part. I think I may have succeeded.

I talked to about 10 people during those 4 races, and had short discussions with half of them. Only the last one knew about it beforehand, but he had a nugget of an idea bolded below on which I’m going to expand. I hope he will join the board and take credit for it:

1) Isolate a pool at a track where and when casual fans will notice and be able and willing to participate without having to sit through an entire card or to wait for the results of their involvement.

2) Isolate an event and race condition whose prior handle can be compared in multiple ways to demonstrate undeniably significant improvement in handle.

3) Obtain assistance from the track to not only research and card such a race, but to promote awareness of the event.

4) HAW will have national exposure on Gold Cup day, Sept. 29. Perhaps as a player-friendly track, they would find an interesting and popular race to card prior to the G.C., e.g., 1 m (T) Alw, OC, or Inv capable of drawing a full and competitive field.

5) Perhaps horsemen could also benefit even more directly from handle exceeding an established benchmark.

I want to second your thumbs up. None of this could have taken place, or is likely to gain broader participation, without PA’s support and involvement. Without PTC’s willingness to share his insights into the industry, we would have less understanding of the motivation behind the regrettable behavior of some ADWs and how to address it. And without BONC’s enthusiasm, energy, daring, and media attractiveness, nothing might have ever actually gotten off the ground.

I’d like to also recognize such as yourself, cangamble, and our newly self-admitted quarter-whale ;) , betchatoo, for inspiring others to follow their examples. I’m sure I’ve neglected other posters whose equally effective intial and continual public influence escapes me at this moment. :ThmbUp:

DeanT
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Not bad at all. The "Horseplayer Sprint".

Anything that raises awareness of things like access and pricing can help.

I had a chat with one of you CA'ers on Friday. Senseless that you could not participate in this at a decent rake rate like most others in the land.

I'll tell ya something that I felt : It was fun to be a part of. I got to see a new track, handicap a wee bit and had a laugh. I watched one race at SAR, and a couple at Ellis. Nothing else. No need to watch any others when you are having a bit of fun.

Tom
08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Not to throw a wet blanket, but you got to nudge the handle on a tiny track one day.

Can you do it again?

Can you do it at a track that actually has a lot of access to it and that offers racing someone might want to bet on?

Can you reduce the handle at a real track?

How many people lost money yesterday and will not back next week?

I ask because no you have fired the so called first shot, what is your follow up plan? Is it ready to roll out, or still open for debate?

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I ask because no you have fired the so called first shot, what is your follow up plan? Is it ready to roll out, or still open for debate?

I think we keep getting asked this question after every week....lol

So far, we're 2 for 2 in goals achieved.

Before we press our luck, I think it's time to go into the tank for a bit and develop a real plan.

shanta
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I think we keep getting asked this question after every week....lol

So far, we're 2 for 2 in goals achieved.

Before we press our luck, I think it's time to go into the tank for a bit and develop a real plan.

Just throwing this out there.

Any merit in FOCUSING our "procott" on ONE race say at a track like Mountaineer?

Mnr has proven they are one of the "good guys" by NOT signing any exclusive rights for signal with ANY Adw's.

So kind of like a laser bean we announce to the industry "we" will show the growing power of us as ONE entity and will collectively be betting the feature
race (is there such a thing at Mnr? lol) on such and such a night.

Does that take away from the "churn" aspect of this? Maybe in return "we" and the "powers that be" see the difference in spades our little growing movement can make.

I am sure we could double/triple a pool with FOCUSED attention. Easy.

Just a thought
Richie

speedking
08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Just throwing this out there.

Any merit in FOCUSING our "procott" on ONE race say at a track like Mountaineer?

Mnr has proven they are one of the "good guys" by NOT signing any exclusive rights for signal with ANY Adw's.

So kind of like a laser bean we announce to the industry "we" will show the growing power of us as ONE entity and will collectively be betting the feature
race (is there such a thing at Mnr? lol) on such and such a night.

Does that take away from the "churn" aspect of this? Maybe in return "we" and the "powers that be" see the difference in spades our little growing movement can make.

I am sure we could double/triple a pool with FOCUSED attention. Easy.

Just a thought
Richie

I'm more in favor of covering a whole card and one of my reasons is that many of the members here are spot players and the race we select may not be on their radar.

If we do decide to bang a certain race out, how about if we designate a different player friendly track every day/night for a week and focus on a specific race?

Just a few more options to consider. With the holiday weekend approaching, we have time to sort everything out :ThmbUp:

speedking

Kelso
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
We need actions that will result in CHANGE. I hope that everyone realizes that this battle has just begun.

Ride to the sound of the bugles!

JustRalph
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
setting the track handle record on the first card at Presque Isle Downs might be noteworthy...................or maybe playing the first carded race.........any comments.........?

Kelso
08-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Can you reduce the handle at a real track?

Now THAT is the question that needs answering. I look forward to helping provide an affirmative response.

stuball
08-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Big Red pointed out something to me I was unaware of....Takeouts at
PID are astronomical....not something we should encourage ...I may not play the track at all............................................... ......................
we are looking for player friendly tracks.....that is very unfriendly...

Stuball

betovernetcapper
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Shanta- Good thoughts and we have plenty of time to structure the next action strategy.
I was one in favor of just asking players to bet what they could on a specific card any way they chose. Not everyone has the same skill set or bankroll. If we make it the trifecta or a $1 super, it might kind of exclude some players (not ROOK :) ) and it's good to have a format that every one can participate in.
No perfect answer

Kelso
08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
setting the track handle record on the first card at Presque Isle Downs might be noteworthy...................or maybe playing the first carded race.........any comments.........?

A built-in publicity hook. Very interesting.

Perhaps we can interest them in a focused buycott in exchange for race #1 being at 5% takeout? (Name the race the Pace Advantage Discount ... PAD!)

betovernetcapper
08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Big Red pointed out something to me I was unaware of....Takeouts at
PID are astronomical....not something we should encourage ...I may not play the track at all............................................... ......................
we are looking for player friendly tracks.....that is very unfriendly...

Stuball

This is a very dangerous and subversive way of thinking-hope it catches on

Indulto
08-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Has the Press Release appeared anywhere yet?

First a big thanks to all who are joining in on this maybe some eyes will be opened. I would like to suggest that in the future we take a look at the HAW t-bred meet and ways in which we can skyrocket there handle. Why HAW?? From what Ian at PTC has said HAW is a "friendly" track willing to take on all ADW's and the effect of a procott would be larger because more people would be able to bet HAW. I would have no problem with Mountaineer either as they are the same way it's just that HAW is a day time track and I think would get more of the t-bred players. I think this would also make it clear that this action of ours is not just a "pro-PTC" effort but an effort to get ALL of the ADW's able to carry any track. Maybe "Steve the Stat Man" could chip in here about HAW and if this would be a good way to go.melman,
Somehow I missed your post when it first appeared. Excellent points!

Is "Stat Man" one of the players profiled in the Ted McClelland book? If so, would he have any direct contact with someone at HAW to work with us?

Scav
08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I think Stat Man is the guy that is the 'does all' at Hawthorne. The tall blonde dude that does the pre-race commentary and he has something to do with Hawthorne internally also. I wanna say racing secretary but that is wrong, maybe marketing vp or something. I can't remember his last name.

Indulto
08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
I think Stat Man is the guy that is the 'does all' at Hawthorne. The tall blonde dude that does the pre-race commentary and he has something to do with Hawthorne internally also. I wanna say racing secretary but that is wrong, maybe marketing vp or something. I can't remember his last name.Scav,
Do you live near HAW?

What was your reaction to Bruddah's suggestion in the "A newbie thought about the ADW strategy" thread?

What is the reaction on the DerbyTrail site to the movement, if any?

Scav
08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
I live 3 miles from Arlington, about 30 minutes from Hawthorne (when traffic is good)

Haven't read that thread yet, will check it out.

While DT has its share of hard core gamblers, it also has its fair share of people that follow as a passion and are $2 to $5 bettors. The people involved over there are also involved over here.

Indulto
08-30-2007, 08:33 PM
I live 3 miles from Arlington, about 30 minutes from Hawthorne (when traffic is good)

Haven't read that thread yet, will check it out.

While DT has its share of hard core gamblers, it also has its fair share of people that follow as a passion and are $2 to $5 bettors. The people involved over there are also involved over here.Not surprising. Is the collective view of this issue any different over there?

I was glad to see a few more posters voice support for HAW. While I still want to see organization precede action, it seems that someone needs to feel out their management in advance before anybody gets their hopes up.

PTC (if you're reading this),
You'd be the ideal choice to do that, especially since you also mentioned them positively in the War Room. Any chance of that happening or do you think it would be wiser to wait?

How well can you wear the term, "ADW-neutral?" :D