PDA

View Full Version : Best Macro Program

Topcat
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Any suggestions on the best generic macro program to use with a variety of Windows based programs?

GameTheory
08-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I recently discovered this:

http://www.autohotkey.com

It is completely free, and has more features than any of the commercial programs I looked it. Frankly, it is one of the most awesome pieces of software I've ever used, and has saved me tons of hours of work. Programming skills helpful to get the most of it. (It is more than macros -- it is a full-scale language if you need it.)

Kelso
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Any suggestions on the best generic macro program to use with a variety of Windows based programs?

TC,
I know the term 'macro' in only the Excel context. What is the general purpose or function of a macro program?

Thank you.

midnight
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Make sure that you get AutoHotKey from that website and not from somewhere else. Some copies of it on other websites have malware in them.

Topcat
08-24-2007, 12:32 AM
TC,
I know the term 'macro' in only the Excel context. What is the general purpose or function of a macro program?

Thank you.

Same as in Excel, they replicate key strokes. Let's say you have a tedious process that is the same, file, open, edit, move to cell A5 and save-with a macro program you do it once and it will do then do those steps for you with one key stroke-they can do much more than that though.

Kelso
08-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Same as in Excel, they replicate key strokes. Let's say you have a tedious process that is the same, file, open, edit, move to cell A5 and save-with a macro program you do it once and it will do then do those steps for you with one key stroke-they can do much more than that though.

Thank you, TC. Would sure be great if I could find a program to convert pdf files to Excel (Able2Extract can't really handle tight BRIS tables) and then automate it with one of these macro programs. I just might wind up with a database worthy of the name!

BIG49010
08-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I use a program called PS Pad, search the web you will find it. It is also a freeware program.