PDA

View Full Version : Why we always lose. Or, why we should shut up and support the procott

andicap
08-23-2007, 04:17 AM
This whole debate is an excellent example of why horseplayers carry little political clout with the likes of the TrackNets and TVGs of the world. While we agree overwhelmingly on the goals to be achieved, we are incredibly fractious and bickering when it comes to how to carry them out.

Procott. Don't procott. Procott another track. Procott, but plan two months ahead. Yada yada yada.

The acerbic responses to Mr. Young's letter to Scott Daruty is a prime example of why we always lose. All we can do is criticize, kibbitz, nibble away at our leader's credibility. He is taking positive, aggressive action. Get behind him! Now. Don't undermine him. He started the petition. He is a man of action. Who else here is?

Why have we learned nothing from history? Examine many of the great movements of the world: Many have two things in common: a charismatic and dedicated leader who captures the media's attention; and a willingness to unite behind a common strategy that demonstrates a collective harmonic front.

You think everyone in the 1960s civil rights movement thought Martin Luther King Jr. was right all the time? You think all of the UAW workers agreed with Walter Ruether down the line? Of course not, but they stood behind them publicly. Same for Cesar Chevez, Gandhi, Reagan, Martin Luther (the original), Mao, Castro, etc.

It's the nature of horseplayers to argue, dissect, lament. And unfortunately, unlike other successful movements, we have to air our linen in the open for all to see our fragmented front.

That's why the petition was so successful. We had a leader -- Mr. Young -- and a took a solid, united stand. There was no, "Yes, but ..." It was as if we had suddenly channeled Norma Rae and Howard Beale. A perfect moment.

It is not, as some have suggested, the impromptu procott that threatens our newly won media momentum, but in giving an ironic twist to a time-honored racetrack tradition of redboarding we are setting ourselves up for a debacle. Instead of giving excuses of why we lost after the race, we're in essence pointing to a past performance line six races back BEFORE we put our money down.

Yet that's exactly what some members are doing here. Taking a defeatist attitude toward Mr. Young's imaginative attempt to maintain our media momentum will surely lead to loss of face and media attention. Arguing over whether we should have waited a few weeks to plan our next step is now moot. A dead issue. Don't waste energy and public unity by debating or criticizing the move. It's OUR move and we need to get behind it. NOW. At least Mr. Young has the guts and vision to get us lowly BDH (in the acronym of Chicago Sun-Times' Dave Feldman) notice.

A procott in New Mexico is a baby step. It is not meant, Mr. Scav, to do anything but scream to the world, "WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. AND IF YOU DON"T FIND A QUICK SOLUTION TO THIS DISASTER WE WILL TARGET YOU NEXT!!!"

That it's apparent layup is exactly the point. Before Lexington and Concord came the Boston Tea Party.

Arguing over whether you should bet the through Brisbet, a Magna simulcast or your local bookie is akin to squabbling over printing a protest slogan on a square sign or a round one. It entirely misses the point.

The goal -- the only goal -- is to show the world that contrary to common belief -- we can change the world by working as one. (Although you can make a better point by wagering through Premier Turf Club because of how shabbily the powers that be have treated the horseplayer-friendly ADW.)

C'mon, get into the spirit. Channel your inner 60s Flower Child. Right on. Fight the power. The people united will be never be defeated. Don't trust anyone over 30 -- or alternatively, any racetrack/ADW heads who proclaim "they are on our side.'

We have a leader. Let's Follow him.

Now, CJ, do speed points hold up at Alb?

GameTheory
08-23-2007, 04:37 AM
I'll be betting on ALB -- do it for your ole buddy GameTheory. Albuquerque and the now defunct Santa Fe Downs was where I got my start. I used to live in Albuquerque at the corner of Montgomery & Louisiana, just a few miles up the road from the fairgrounds where they run the races. If it can be the origin of a "new start", then I'm all for it...

Tom
08-23-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm betting Alb this weekend.
I will bet NO tracks that Tracknet covers. Screw tracknet like they screwed us.

betchatoo
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Alb will be my primary track come Saturday. I have also promised not to bet AP or Wox until things change

GaryG
08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
I am on board with it....although I might need some help! :eek:

JustRalph
08-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I will be betting ALB also.......... should be fun to try a new track.

alydar
08-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I looked at last Saturday's betting handle numbers by race. It looks like they get 10K to 25K per race. Would be great if we could make a substantial differece to those numbers. Does anyone know the total handle for last Saturday? It would be a good benchmark to use.

DJofSD
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
But when the founding fathers of this country acted by dumping British tea into Boston Harbor they did not post bills all over Boston and print notices in the local papers what they were going to do.

prospector
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
But when the founding fathers of this country acted by dumping British tea into Boston Harbor they did not post bills all over Boston and print notices in the local papers what they were going to do.
true...
it was spur of the moment..kinda like our procott this saturday

chickenhead
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM
NoCal has said ALB is not available in CA, is that correct? A good way to support the procott is to inform people on how, if possible, they can participate. I hope everyone realizes it is not just *snap your fingers* and now everyone can bet on ALB. Many people are going to have to open accounts and fund them specifically for this day, if they are going to participate.

HELP THEM.

Scav
08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
This whole debate is an excellent example of why horseplayers carry little political clout with the likes of the TrackNets and TVGs of the world. While we agree overwhelmingly on the goals to be achieved, we are incredibly fractious and bickering when it comes to how to carry them out.

Procott. Don't procott. Procott another track. Procott, but plan two months ahead. Yada yada yada.

The acerbic responses to Mr. Young's letter to Scott Daruty is a prime example of why we always lose. All we can do is criticize, kibbitz, nibble away at our leader's credibility. He is taking positive, aggressive action. Get behind him! Now. Don't undermine him. He started the petition. He is a man of action. Who else here is?

Why have we learned nothing from history? Examine many of the great movements of the world: Many have two things in common: a charismatic and dedicated leader who captures the media's attention; and a willingness to unite behind a common strategy that demonstrates a collective harmonic front.

You think everyone in the 1960s civil rights movement thought Martin Luther King Jr. was right all the time? You think all of the UAW workers agreed with Walter Ruether down the line? Of course not, but they stood behind them publicly. Same for Cesar Chevez, Gandhi, Reagan, Martin Luther (the original), Mao, Castro, etc.

It's the nature of horseplayers to argue, dissect, lament. And unfortunately, unlike other successful movements, we have to air our linen in the open for all to see our fragmented front.

That's why the petition was so successful. We had a leader -- Mr. Young -- and a took a solid, united stand. There was no, "Yes, but ..." It was as if we had suddenly channeled Norma Rae and Howard Beale. A perfect moment.

It is not, as some have suggested, the impromptu procott that threatens our newly won media momentum, but in giving an ironic twist to a time-honored racetrack tradition of redboarding we are setting ourselves up for a debacle. Instead of giving excuses of why we lost after the race, we're in essence pointing to a past performance line six races back BEFORE we put our money down.

Yet that's exactly what some members are doing here. Taking a defeatist attitude toward Mr. Young's imaginative attempt to maintain our media momentum will surely lead to loss of face and media attention. Arguing over whether we should have waited a few weeks to plan our next step is now moot. A dead issue. Don't waste energy and public unity by debating or criticizing the move. It's OUR move and we need to get behind it. NOW. At least Mr. Young has the guts and vision to get us lowly BDH (in the acronym of Chicago Sun-Times' Dave Feldman) notice.

A procott in New Mexico is a baby step. It is not meant, Mr. Scav, to do anything but scream to the world, "WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. AND IF YOU DON"T FIND A QUICK SOLUTION TO THIS DISASTER WE WILL TARGET YOU NEXT!!!"

That it's apparent layup is exactly the point. Before Lexington and Concord came the Boston Tea Party.

Arguing over whether you should bet the through Brisbet, a Magna simulcast or your local bookie is akin to squabbling over printing a protest slogan on a square sign or a round one. It entirely misses the point.

The goal -- the only goal -- is to show the world that contrary to common belief -- we can change the world by working as one. (Although you can make a better point by wagering through Premier Turf Club because of how shabbily the powers that be have treated the horseplayer-friendly ADW.)

C'mon, get into the spirit. Channel your inner 60s Flower Child. Right on. Fight the power. The people united will be never be defeated. Don't trust anyone over 30 -- or alternatively, any racetrack/ADW heads who proclaim "they are on our side.'

We have a leader. Let's Follow him.

Now, CJ, do speed points hold up at Alb?

Some people need to layoff the History Channel around here.

Listen, I am not trying to defeat any purpose, but Richard needs to be professional about this to be taken seriously. Refering to racial history or religionous history is just downright stupid and for that very fact people can say "It is just some crazy person on a message board". I want nothing more but for this to get ironed out and you are right, this is baby steps, but these baby steps HAVE to work otherwise we are just some crazy people on a message board. If you think this will work, fine by me. I plan on supporting it, with my legs trying to kick a window out

turfnsport
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
From DRF for ALB on 8/18:
Attendance: 2,362 Mutuel pool $120,318.00 Total Mutuel pool $70,596.00

MikeD

betovernetcapper
08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
If you've never opened a BrisBet accout, you may be eligable for $100 sign on bonus and that would be a nice way to start your day.

PTC has said that he'll lower the minimum account to $100 plus 2% additional WPS rebate and a 3% exotic bonus for Saturdays ALB card. This on top of the normal rebate makes betting this Sat at ALB really acctractive. :)

Indulto
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
The intial reactions of some including myself arose out of concerns that cooperation and collective deliberation for optimal results never got a chance to develop, and that unbridled enthusiasm might be distorting the message.

Upon reflection, it was fantastically fortuitous that someone had the simultaneous opportunity and intestinal fortitude to verbalize the frustration that DragNet inflicts on race fans in a forum not devoted to horseplayers. Hopefully any subsequent excesses will be attributed to that frustration, regardless of any forthcoming spin to the contrary.

bonc should be given full credit for making something happen and all of you that are able to participate should enjoy your opportunity to potentially be a part of history. While others enjoy Travers Day, you will traverse a minefield in New Mexico to avoid undermining momentum.

Indeed a date with destiny has been delivered to demonstrate either determined solidarity or diminished capacity. Now that war has been declared, it appears we will show the enemy how dangerous we are by how well we treat our friends.

Will our aspirations disappear in the shallow pools of Alb like tea in a harbor or will our combined deep pockets create waves of anxiety in the hearts of our tormentors? In comparing the anticipated wagering assault on Albuquerque to the Boston Tea Party, andicap's rhetoric inspires visions of his Thomas Paine to complement bonc’s Samuel Adams.

Entertained though I was by his effective eloquence, I have to take exception to his faulting those who believe opportunity rewards the ready more often than the lucky. The next enemy encounter may well require greater emphasis on planning and preparedness.

Kelso
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Listen, I am not trying to defeat any purpose, but Richard needs to be professional about this to be taken seriously.

There ya go again .....