PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of The Phishers

trying2win
08-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I've had several phishing offers online over the last few years. A recent one was for an ebay item that I didn't have the winning bid for. It looked real official, what with the ebay banners, logos and web pages. As I recall, it was offering me one of those 'second chance' offers, that some sellers will list now and then.

I got suspicious, when I think they wanted me to send money to an email address overseas. First of all, I already knew the vendor's real email address and they were located in the USA. I wonder how many unsuspecting ebay buyers have fallen prey to this kind of crooked scheme on higher-priced items? Anyway, I notified the ebay seller. As a reward for notifying them, they offered me a duplicate of the item at a lower priced than I had bid. The vendors I'm sure want to keep their reputation. The vendor notified the ebay company of the attempted fraud.

I think some other phishing episodes in the past, were for some 'officials' doing something like checking online banking operations and wondered if I'd give them my bank account number so they could check it out. Another one involved someone from Africa who had a rich relative who died, and they wanted me to share in the riches by helping them guard some of their money.. As I recall, all I had to do was send them a few hundred dollars for a 'processing fee' and my bank account number. Then, they would deposit a hefty amount of money for safekeeping. They would would send me a reward of a lot of money for helping them out.

I MAY BE DUMB AT SOME THINGS IN LIFE ...BUT I'M NOT STUPID! I'm not going to fall for scams like that. There's even some phishing scams out there online, or even in the mail for alleged 'fortunes' you won on recent lotteries! All the scam artists want is your bank account number too, so they can deposit your windfall in them...YEAH RIGHT!

Yet, I think we've all heard of people who do fall for those scams that involve giving out your credit card number or bank account number to 'caring strangers' who want to enrich you...YEAH RIGHT!

Anyone else get some of these kind of 'generous offers' online or in the mail?

trying2win
08-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Oops! I thought of something afterwards. Maybe this thread belongs in the OFF TOPIC section. If so, sorry for the goof.