PDA

View Full Version : Hardly a surprise

46zilzal
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
The degree of exlcusivity in understanding the world is greater than I ever thought. If it ain't about us, it ain't worth knowing.
Most US adults in the dark about world politics

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Two-thirds of US adults admit to being in the dark about political issues outside the United States, and only a third are well-versed in US politics, the results of a poll published Tuesday showed.

Candidates in the US presidential primaries "may have their work cut out for them as they work to get people interested in the election," wrote the Harris Poll group, which surveyed 2,225 adults between July 6 and 13 for the poll.

DanG
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM
The degree of exlcusivity in understanding the world is greater than I ever thought. If it ain't about us, it ain't worth knowing.

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Two-thirds of US adults admit to being in the dark about political issues outside the United States, and only a third are well-versed in US politics, the results of a poll published Tuesday showed.

I would be surprised if it’s that high to tell the truth…

Side issue; I’m betting 46 that your actually to the right of ‘Attila the Hun politically. This is all an act and you laugh hysterically at some of your posts. ;)

46zilzal
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I would be surprised if it’s that high to tell the truth…

Side issue; I’m betting 46 that your actually to the right of ‘Attila the Hun politically. This is all an act and you laugh hysterically at some of your posts. ;)

No it substantiates what I have learned living in another country.

Having grown in the home land of the John Birch Society, I am nauseous over the paranoia of the xenophobic right wing.

GaryG
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks Dan....you got him wound up and gave him someplace to post his usual bs... Homeland of the John Birch Society....:lol: :lol: :lol:

46zilzal
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks Dan....you got him wound up and gave him someplace to post his usual bs... Homeland of the John Birch Society....

When people learned where I lived they would often state things like: "When you are at football games I hear your cheerleaders yell 'Lean to the right, lean to the right, stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight.' There is no left there as, to them, it is only RIGHT of some other position.

Some of my friends who went to Whittier College had a fit when they wanted to name it for an old alum (and one of the worst presidents of modern times) Milhous Nixon. It is still called Whittier College.

GaryG
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Secretariat
08-23-2007, 12:49 AM

This figure does not surprise me - in fact I expected it to be much higher. Recently, it was reported that only 1 in 4 Americans read a book all of last year. Fiction or Non-Fiction.

If you asked most people on the street who was the Prime Minister of Iraq I would expect maybe 10% of the people would know in this country. If you asked most people on the street who was the President of iraq I doubt 5% woudl know. If you asked who was the number two man in Al Queda I imagine less than 10% would know. Yet these people are crucial to where our taxpayer moeny is going.

Greyfox
08-23-2007, 02:19 AM
If true, a damning indictment of parenting, the education system, the media, local culture and an orientation to ego-centricity in life style.
Yet another "edge" over the average horse player, if true.