PDA

View Full Version : Villeins ye are - How racetracks really see their customers

highnote
12-26-2002, 12:29 AM
Here's a quote I found in an article from the International Herald Tribune. It reminds me of the way customers of racetracks and bookmakers are treated:

"... the events of 2002 made me think of a parallel: the English peasant rebellion of 1381. The rebels very nearly took London, but were turned aside by King Richard II, who promised to end the oppression of the common people by the aristocracy. As soon as the danger had passed, however, he made it clear that promises to little people don't count. "Villeins ye are, and villeins ye shall remain.

During the late spring and summer, amid corporate scandals and tales of FBI ineptitude, Americans received many promises of reform. But once the political danger had passed, all those promises - even, incredibly, the promise that families of victims would get to choose one member of the Sept. 11 commission - became nonoperational. Villeins ye are ..."

There will be a lot of talk about changes at the racetracks and bookmakers that will benefit bettors. Do you honestly think many of them will come to fruition. The technology exists for racetracks to transmit probable payoffs for trifectas. Now that the danger has passed, will we ever really see them?