PDA

View Full Version : online wagering mess

horses721
08-21-2007, 10:05 AM
It seems if you have TVG, you hate the Churchill group because you weren't able to bet the Kentucky Derby. If you don't have TVG then you won't be able to bet the Breeders Cup. Is that a good situation also?

What people are failing to realize is that the tracks themselves play are big part in the decision that created this online mess. The NYRA decided to sign an exclusive agreement with 1 company (TVG) and limited the choices of their fans of who they could select as an online wagering service. TVG can only take wagers from 12 states. The way the NYRA looks at it, too bad to you folks in the other 38 states they would rather pocket a few extra bucks and alienate those fans. Even if TVG could take wagers from all states, when is a monopoly a good thing for the consumer?
The NYRA gave them a monoploy to their signal and screwed the fans.

Monmouth Park is even more arrogant. After winning the right to host the Breeders Cup, they signed an agreement with TVG this year. I wonder how the Breeders Cup is going to feel when they realize, how many people won't be able to bet the Breeders Cup because of the decision of Monmouth Park management to make a few extra bucks by giving TVG an exlusive signal.

TVG also plays a part in this mess. The terms they have set up to acquire signals to its exclusive tracks makes it almost impossible for somebody to make a profit by entering into an agreement with them. Why should Churchill or any other online service bother to sign an agreement with TVG when they won't be making any money. Would any of you enter into a business deal with another company if you weren't going to make any money off the deal? Only 1 has done that and they are Youbet.com. I dropped them last year because of poor service and they charge fees that other services don't charge. Why should I be forced to go back to them because of this TVG monoploy. What will happen to the rest of you if youbet feels the TVG deal isn't worth signing again when their contract is up? Unless you live in one of the states TVG can accept wagers from, you could be screwed to.

THe blame lies in many places in this mess. No single group is responsible for the entire problem. In my opinion, if any action is taken in the form of a boycott, it should be taken against the race tracks that enter into these exclusive agreements. They created the problem by giving a monopoly of their signal to 1 entity and like I said, somebody please tell me where a monopoly is a good thing for the consumer. New York racing and Monmouth (I'm not sure who the others are) should be the target of any boycott. They agreed to these exclusive contracts and should be the target of any boycott so they, and any other race track considering an exlusive agreement, will think twice about doing it in the future with any online wagering company.

NoCal Boy
08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
First of all, the Breeders Cup will be available to all ADW's. Secondly, many tracks signed up with TVG when TVG was looked upon as a positive and not negative or distribution. Third, the major TVG tracks are reporting handle increases as TVG and Youbet are pumping handle into them. Fourth, if you are paying fees to Youbet, then you must not be playing that much and you should go elsewhere where you can save a few precious dollars given your level of play.

TVG and Youbet combine for over $1 Billion of industry handle. They must be doing something right. Always funny how the leaders are attacked for poor service. One would think no one would bet with them given the comments. Yet quarter by quarter the handle numbers grow for Youbet and TVG.

That all being said, I ado agree that the exclusive model of TVG is a dinosaur that will not work going forward. Monmouth was a one year deal for the BC Cup. Like it or not, exposure on TVG happens to increase awareness of Monmouth. The economics make no sense, but awarenes is heightened.

All involved contribute to this mess. Tracks, horsemen, TVG, TrackNet, Youbet et al. They need to sit down and get this resolved. I still believe September will be the month as NYRA franchise is announced (most likely NYRA retains it) and California is likely to reauthorize ADW with a few tweaks on exclusivity etc.

kenwoodallpromos
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
We do not have an army enough to ruin numerous major tracks long term by boycotting- yet.
The boycott and supporting alternatives are to send a message that represents many times more bettors than those actual participating. The entity (racing) then correctly assumes that the actuial numbers in the + or - targeted pool is representitive, same is in politics.
That is how it works and that is why DRF and others picked up on it and why it got the attention of the Jockey Club- they know there are many times more bettors that are upset in general about the mishmash of contracts and deals and no standard like the major sports have for revenue sharing from media contracts- only racing need only to standardize the fees, NOT the actual revenues, so big outfits like NYRA can still make much more and not have to share.
This is about a building snowball affect, just like steroids and jackey disability and slaughter and unwanted retirees was. When enough heat is put on things happen, and there is right now some heat(fuel) from within the industry. This
is the spark!

HorseRun
08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
First of all, the Breeders Cup will be available to all ADW's. Secondly, many tracks signed up with TVG when TVG was looked upon as a positive and not negative or distribution. Third, the major TVG tracks are reporting handle increases as TVG and Youbet are pumping handle into them. Fourth, if you are paying fees to Youbet, then you must not be playing that much and you should go elsewhere where you can save a few precious dollars given your level of play.

TVG and Youbet combine for over $1 Billion of industry handle. They must be doing something right. Always funny how the leaders are attacked for poor service. One would think no one would bet with them given the comments. Yet quarter by quarter the handle numbers grow for Youbet and TVG.

That all being said, I ado agree that the exclusive model of TVG is a dinosaur that will not work going forward. Monmouth was a one year deal for the BC Cup. Like it or not, exposure on TVG happens to increase awareness of Monmouth. The economics make no sense, but awarenes is heightened.

All involved contribute to this mess. Tracks, horsemen, TVG, TrackNet, Youbet et al. They need to sit down and get this resolved. I still believe September will be the month as NYRA franchise is announced (most likely NYRA retains it) and California is likely to reauthorize ADW with a few tweaks on exclusivity etc.

Finster is that YOU ???