PDA

View Full Version : Bad Takedown, Saratoga 5

toetoe
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Desormeaux's horse was put up over the winner, 3, in a horrible call. The hackneyed "cost him a better placing" argument doesn't apply. I figure they're (shudder) protecting the public some damn how. I just don't know exactly how. :ThmbDown: :confused:

Spendabuck85
08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree that this was a horrible call, so much for consistency from the stewards.

the_fat_man
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I had both horses in the pick 3 but it's probably paying 3 times what it did with the DQd horse.

The action happened just before the wire and when the race had already been decided. If the 8 didn't get 2nd, I can understand taking the horse down. If the stewards want to punish Coa for reckless riding, they really need to figure out how to do so without compromising the public --those betting on the winner.

If you take this horse down then you absolutely need to take Borel down on Lady Joanne for coming out just at/before the wire and slamming Lear's Princess.

Since the latter didn't happen, for consistency purposes, this horse needed to stay up.

Spendabuck85
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Steve Crist comments about the takedown.

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/2007/08/no-victory-for-.html#comments

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Yeah, this decision was a real head scratcher for me....

Is it too much to ask that stewards be required to provide a written explanation for every inquiry? It doesn't have to be anything long or elaborate, and it should be published on the track's website.

In my opinion, official explanations would go a long way towards more consistent rulings.

the_fat_man
08-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Anyone interesting in watching Coa at his best should fire up SAR 8/5/07 Race 7, and watch the HEADON of the 9 horse (Too Much Zip --running 8/23/07 R9).

As best as I can determine, Luzzi, on the 10, came in a bit at the break and bumped Coa. For this, Coa comes out sharply bumping into him entering the stretch, then basically tries to run Luzzi over, repeatedly bumping him while coming out, when he realizes he can't win the race, just before the wire.

He not only prevents Luzzi from winning the race, he damn near kills him.

One can only wonder where the stewards were.

The tape of this race really needs to be posted on a few forums. The stewards definitely need to be exposed as inept.

Moreover, Coa is back on the horse tomorrow.

What a joke.

(The above, of course, assumes that Coa did not get days for this.)

This is the same PUNK who can't put Lear's Princess in a drive in the Alabama and gets her beat the race before by hitting her righty in the lane and causing her to change leads (back to lefty) and duck in.