PDA

View Full Version : Gambler's Book Club For Sale?

Topcat
08-20-2007, 01:11 AM
A little birdie told me the Gambler's Book Club in Vegas might be for sale. I don't know this for sure but has anyone heard anything?

DanG
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
A little birdie told me the Gambler's Book Club in Vegas might be for sale. I don't know this for sure but has anyone heard anything?
I haven’t heard that Topcat…

If he hasn’t already, there is a man who should write a book on his life. Howard Schwartz has at one time or another run into about every serious gambler in the last XX years.

A must stop if your in Vegas and I hope the next owners maintain the atmosphere. It’s the Stardust of bookstores and should be preserved like a national treasure in my biased opinion! :ThmbUp:

BTW: if anyone is interested here is a link to a recent pod cast with Howard where he discusses the history of his shop.

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=50685

Good4Now
08-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Talk about an Oasis in the Desert, the shop surely is that!

boomman
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I haven’t heard that Topcat…

If he hasn’t already, there is a man who should write a book on his life. Howard Schwartz has at one time or another run into about every serious gambler in the last XX years.

A must stop if your in Vegas and I hope the next owners maintain the atmosphere. It’s the Stardust of bookstores and should be preserved like a national treasure in my biased opinion! :ThmbUp:

BTW: if anyone is interested here is a link to a recent pod cast with Howard where he discusses the history of his shop.

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=50685

Dan: Howard Schwartz is an icon and tells the kinds of stories that everyone (especially gamblers) can appreciate. I am proud to call him a friend of mine, and I have done a few book signings for him in the last couple of years. As for the store being for sale, I think it has been for a long time, but I doubt that Howard is really pushing to sell it any time soon. He would certainly be the one to talk to though if anyone had an interest. And like you, if the place sells, I hope it will keep its same "charm"!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DeanT
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
A must stop for any gambling enthusiast!

He sells books, but imo he should write one. All those stories and thoughts and ideas about gambling should be preserved forever. I would buy his book in a nanosecond.

RaceBookJoe
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Howard Schwartz is a real nice man. I have been to the store on a number of occasions and everytime I see him he will say hi and can answer any gambling question you have. I havent heard about the sale of the store. I wouldnt mind buying it if I was in that field ( running a business ). I havent been there in probably 2 years ( i live about 10 miles from the store ) , but I loved the "backroom" with all the used books. I always got the feeling that I was walking through a time warp. I will go to the store sometime this week and see what I can find out.

Tom
08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I've heard that.
Really must see in Vegas.

Wickel
08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Great podcast! I've done business with GBC on occasion. Howard's very knowledgable and nice to deal with. I think I even have a few copies of "Systems and Methods" when he edited the book.

Handiman
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Whenever I'm in Vegas I stop in for about a half day and it's like an adult disneyland. I was there just a few months ago and had a conversation with Howard. He has been planning to move the bookstore for quite some time, but things just have not worked out. He said anything is for sale for the right price, but not sure what he'd do if he didn't have GBC to go to everyday.

He is truly a gentleman. If you have never stopped by, then put it on your to do list. Great fun to talk to the people that come in to shop. I've had some great conversations.

One day I was talking with Howard and another gentleman. All about sports betting. The other guy turned out to be Lem Banker. I believe that'show you spell his name...anyway he is just about the most notable sports bettor in Vegas as I understand it.

Just a very cool place.

Handi

RaceBookJoe
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Great podcast! I've done business with GBC on occasion. Howard's very knowledgable and nice to deal with. I think I even have a few copies of "Systems and Methods" when he edited the book.

I think HS started editing around issue 9 of S&M. I have all of the early issues....1st editor was Lou Holloway then Huey Mahl. Mahl's book on pace was good. I was a huge Holloway follower, especially his wagering plans. I actually learned to put speed figures on horses from him, actually his writings not face to face. I have combined his speed/handicapping aspects with Brohamer/Sartin pace aspects. At GBC they have a pic of Lou. I am sure there are a ton of memories at that place. I plan to go Wednesday. It's funny , even when I dont plan of buying anything, i always leave there with something.

Capper Al
08-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll buy it.

RaceBookJoe
08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey guys I just got back from GBC. Howard Schwartz wasnt there at the time but the guy at the counter said the place was up for sale and that he thought Howard had contacted a broker. I hope that whoever buys the store keeps it kind of like it is. I always end up buying something when I go and today was no different. Ended up buying 4 books and 1 magazine. The back room used book area is my favorite section still.

Topcat
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
If you'v got a cool million you can buy the place. Here's what I found- I won't post the link or all the info since they are not a paid advertise but I think this is of general interest.

This is a unique Gamblers Book sales & marketing company that has been established for 43 years.

Financials
Asking Price: $1,100,000
Gross Revenue: $900,000
Inventory: $400,000 (Included in Asking Price)
Business Summary

Year Established: 1963
Employees: 4 full time - 4 part time

If you want the complete link you can find it by searching some of the business for sale sites.

dylbert
08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
If I can get 1,000 folks to front me $1,000 each, I will come up with last $100K!

OR

I can hit Powerball tonight and make deal tomorrow!

Seriously, I hope someone saves that Vegas institution.