PDA

View Full Version : Here's Why There is An Internet Gambling Ban and Rebates Not Available to All

Topcat
08-18-2007, 09:40 PM
...Because too many horseplayers are too passive.

When GA lobbied for the internet ban I reported that my my congressman said I was the only letter objecting and that they had received hundreds in support of the legislstion thanks to the Gambler's Anonymous campaign for the ban.

If you need further proof take a look at the Jockey Club petition on this page. As of this writing there are over 14,000 views but less than 500 electronic signatures. At any given time PA's board has 300 members on and to get so few to electronically sign is really poor. Geez it doesn't even require a postage stamp.

And we wonder why tracks don't lower takeouts or offer rebates. They say we'll play whatever is offered. C'mon folks give it some effort and prove them wrong.

keilan
08-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Topcat -- I couldn't agree more, where the F is everybody. 400 + is less than outstanding, hell we had some knucklehead from Toronto posting selections from Woodbine today. I wanted to reach out and ............ him.

Good4Now
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
it's time for walking,

or continue talking?

IMO it's past time for walking, but it if it's NOT a concerted, concentrated effort of a realistic time span it will go without being noticed.

I'm trying to figure out how the JC will say to us 'we don't wish to insult you but choose to ignore you'. It's two separate thoughts, how many ways can they put it?

Topcat
08-19-2007, 12:22 AM
it's time for walking,

or continue talking?

IMO it's past time for walking, but it if it's NOT a concerted, concentrated effort of a realistic time span it will go without being noticed.

I'm trying to figure out how the JC will say to us 'we don't wish to insult you but choose to ignore you'. It's two separate thoughts, how many ways can they put it?

I've got to agree-if it is not a concerted effort it doesn't mean anything.

statik27
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I think that those 400+ signatures represent the majoritiy of the people who have seen the thread and understand the mechanics behind it and want to do something about it.
As far as 400+ players boycotting a track, it could get alot uglier for a handle then you think. Here's why.

Say I have a 500$ bankroll for the 40 day saratoga meet. I bet a 100$ a day and keep pretty even with my money, come up a few dollar's here and there, but at the end of the meet I still only have 500$.

My total handle for the meet isn't 500, at the very least it would be 4000 and it could be even higher if I got up big and lost it.

so say you have 460 players averaging 4000$ in handle that decide not to bet with a certain track and all of a sudden you've punched a 1.9 Million dollar hole in their total handle for the meet. Thats not insignificant at all.

statik

Good4Now
08-19-2007, 12:36 AM
you're good with the numbers!

The time frame of an entire meet is a bit long ,IMO.

If a "heist" is the point why NOT the Crown Jewels??? The week of the BC festival - and I'm talkin' NO action ALL WEEK, NO WHERE, NO HOW, NO WAY!

Think DRF would sell us a full page ad? Last I heard it was about 300.
Send contributions to...

betovernetcapper
08-19-2007, 12:53 AM
450 signatures out of nowhere is pretty good, but even if your not impressed with the number, take a look at who's on board. We have the best and the brightest.
Regarding the boycott, I suggest we form a small group-select targets and their corporate affiliates/sponsors and use sustained creative high energy but legal activities to alter their opinions & actions.

statik27
08-19-2007, 01:04 AM
you're good with the numbers!

The time frame of an entire meet is a bit long ,IMO.

If a "heist" is the point why NOT the Crown Jewels??? The week of the BC festival - and I'm talkin' NO action ALL WEEK, NO WHERE, NO HOW, NO WAY!

Think DRF would sell us a full page ad? Last I heard it was about 300.
Send contributions to...

The meet long example was easy to figure, but you can see how even a player with a small bankroll can effect a tracks handle. I think that if it comes to it and we don't aleast get some sort of reaction, we should target a certain race or a one day a track that most of the people on the list would bet.

statik

keilan
08-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Thank you for coming to the forefront and deservingly so you are to be commended for your efforts :) I wish that more would have embraced such an important cause.

Kelso
08-19-2007, 01:06 AM
I suggest we form a small group-select targets and their corporate affiliates/sponsors and use sustained creative high energy but legal activities to alter their opinions & actions.

That's the way to fight! Why settle for clubbing 'em over the head when one can kick 'em in the ass, too?

Is there a particular track which wields an inordinate amount of influence with the Jockey Club and/or the NTRA? If there is such, I suggest that track deserves to be taught the first lesson.

betovernetcapper
08-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Churchill Downs
Maybe we could send YUM! Brands (Toco Bell) a request to drop sponsorship of the 2008 Kentucky Derby. If they decline, perhaps we could do a little leafleting at their restaurants asking patrons to spend their fast food dollars elsewhere.
Maybe PA will let us use the WAR ROOM Monday night to discuss strategy.

Topcat
08-19-2007, 01:22 AM
450 signatures out of nowhere is pretty good, but even if your not impressed with the number, take a look at who's on board. We have the best and the brightest.
Regarding the boycott, I suggest we form a small group-select targets and their corporate affiliates/sponsors and use sustained creative high energy but legal activities to alter their opinions & actions.

I agree that those who have signed are heavyweights. My intent was not to say I'm not impressed but to try and spur people to sign it and to point out that many of the problems we blame other for are a result of our own passivity.

On the petition: With 14,000 views I would guess at least half of those, 7,000 are unique and would have hoped that 4-5,000 would have signed it. Dont you think?

Thank you for your efforts 432 (as of this writing) are 432 more then if you had not initiated it. Thank you.

GameTheory
08-19-2007, 01:29 AM
I agree that those who have signed are heavyweights. My intent was not to say I'm not impressed but to try and spur people to sign it and to point out that many of the problems we blame other for are a result of our own passivity.

On the petition: With 14,000 views I would guess at least half of those, 7,000 are unique and would have hoped that 4-5,000 would have signed it. Dont you think?

Thank you for your efforts 432 (as of this writing) are 432 more then if you had not initiated it. Thank you.You're way overestimating the unique views. I've generated probably 100 or more views of it personally just when I'm reading the new messages. There are probably not more than 1000 individuals that have even seen it, and 400+ have signed it. That's excellent.

Topcat
08-19-2007, 01:40 AM
You're way overestimating the unique views. I've generated probably 100 or more views of it personally just when I'm reading the new messages. There are probably not more than 1000 individuals that have even seen it, and 400+ have signed it. That's excellent.

Well, I hope I am over estimating the unique views and it is great that you have that much time on your hands to read/review the same thread 100 times-myself-I read it once,signed it and haven't been back-somewhere between your experience and mine are the true number of unique views. After all if those who signed it and viewed it 100 times as you have we would have 43,200 views so we know your experience is not the norm.

What you have to know is that there was a major news article on it, PA sent out emails to registered users and we still have less petitions then what my sister just got at one day at a supermarket (on an entirely different matter)

Let's just hope the number increases.

chickenhead
08-19-2007, 01:44 AM
there are only 4000 members here. I am sure many of those members are in no way active.

For a spur of the moment deal, it actually did better than I thought it would. When it was started I thought 200, tops, and I thought that was optimistic.

BOTNC and PA, and everyone who contributed, major thumbs up.

Topcat
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Chick,

Well who can argue with anyone who has a Hunter Thompson avatar? <G>

trying2win
08-19-2007, 01:49 AM
...Because too many horseplayers are too passive.

When GA lobbied for the internet ban I reported that my my congressman said I was the only letter objecting and that they had received hundreds in support of the legislstion thanks to the Gambler's Anonymous campaign for the ban.

If you need further proof take a look at the Jockey Club petition on this page. As of this writing there are over 14,000 views but less than 500 electronic signatures. At any given time PA's board has 300 members on and to get so few to electronically sign is really poor. Geez it doesn't even require a postage stamp.

And we wonder why tracks don't lower takeouts or offer rebates. They say we'll play whatever is offered. C'mon folks give it some effort and prove them wrong.

Great post Topcat. :ThmbUp: Well said. We need more members to speak out. And not just speak out exclusively here at the PACE ADVANTAGE. I like the way more members are actually sending emails to stodgy racetrack and horsemen executives and telling them what they think of their Neanderthal ways of thinking and their hiding behind an array of excuses about some of their suspicious 'policies'. Kudos to these members.

I've just recently sent emails to WEG AND HASTINGS PARK, telling them what I think about their treatment of PTC etc. I told them both I won't bet their tracks anymore through HPI. 'Talk is cheap' is the old cliche. So true on this topic. WEG and HASTINGS PARK know I'm talking with my wallet now. Hopefully more PA members will speak with their emails and wallets too at these and other tracks, run by stuffy individuals.

After crossing HASTINGS PARK off my list, I added LOUISIANA DOWNS to my betting schedule. And playing straight bets at LAD, pays a higher cash rebate from PTC to boot than playing at HASTINGS PARK did.:ThmbUp:

~"Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure."

--Don Wilder

betovernetcapper
08-19-2007, 01:50 AM
I have to get some sleep, but remember less than a week ago not only were there zero signatures, but the notion that we could bring the war home to the Jockey Club would have been seen as science fiction.impretty pleased

TimesTheyRAChangin
08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, I hope I am over estimating the unique views and it is great that you have that much time on your hands to read/review the same thread 100 times-myself-I read it once,signed it and haven't been back-somewhere between your experience and mine are the true number of unique views. After all if those who signed it and viewed it 100 times as you have we would have 43,200 views so we know your experience is not the norm.

I would bet a lot of people,like myself,check it EVERY DAY,to see who else has signed up,or,waiting to see if a specific poster is even going to.
TTRAC

DanG
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I would bet a lot of people,like myself,check it EVERY DAY,to see who else has signed up,or,waiting to see if a specific poster is even going to.
TTRAC
An interesting thread might be if you are aware of it and choose not to sign up, list you’re rational.

Good4Now
08-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I'll do that. As I am one who chose not to.

DanG
08-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I'll do that. As I am one who chose not to.
Democracy in action ‘G4N…Good deal. :ThmbUp:

BTW: Fascinating to read through the petition thread. Could you find a more frustrated customer base almost anywhere? Just incredible how so many from a variety of regions and walks of life are have such similar experiences.

betovernetcapper
08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
DanG-coming from a restaurant background you might find this interesting-there is a rumor that someone from CDI has asked that a certain seafood appetizer be removed from today's menu because it sounds too much like CRAP Cakes . Again this is only a rumor so I don't know how true it is. :)

DanG
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
DanG-coming from a restaurant background you might find this interesting-there is a rumor that someone from CDI has asked that a certain seafood appetizer be removed from today's menu because it sounds too much like CRAP Cakes . Again this is only a rumor so I don't know how true it is. :)
LOL!!! :lol: