PDA

View Full Version : Track Bias Inquiry

eddessaknight
08-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen of the The PaceAdvantage Jury :)

Would like to know what tracks are showing an appreciable or statistical bias for the middle selections
i.e 5th - 6th- 7th choices. Reviewing past performances at Woodbine. for example, seems to demonstrate a high winning activity of these middle choices.

Thanks in advance for your kind assitance-

Good Weekend Wishes,
EddessaKnight :)

eddessaknight
08-22-2007, 04:21 PM
All replies will be sincerely appreciated-

Edward DeVere
08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I have never heard of such a thing, over a lengthy time frame, anyhow.

But I wish you luck in your search.

eddessaknight
08-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Thank you Edward and your good wishes on my search-

Don't recall where, but I have read in the past that certain tracks favors (bias) an inside or outside post position, etc.

Perhaps some board members recall same???

Thanks again for your time and consideration-

JustRalph
08-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Edessa, the fact that track bias changes from day to day and sometimes from race to race, makes what you are looking for almost useless.

The weather variables alone would invalidate much of what you are looking for within a short time period.

Any stats compiled would be invalid almost immediately depending on so many factors it would be impossible to track.

A long term bias gets picked up by the sharpies really quickly and the short term bias is something that is immensely complicated by "Poly track" courses. Good luck on finding anything of value.

ddog
08-23-2007, 10:21 AM
There are some configurations of tracks by distance and field size that are relevant.
Is that what you are looking for?

Along the lines 7.5turf rail at 15 at XXX track the inside couple of posts are death?

I have never seen found middle posts ( 5-6-7) being a disadvantage other than the normal breaking patterns of the horses around/in those posts.

I seem to recall that Bob Selvin sells detailed post-pos stats?

Overlay
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Don't recall where, but I have read in the past that certain tracks favors (bias) an inside or outside post position, etc.

I don't have Winning at the Races in front of me, but I think the only statistically significant findings (positive or negative) related to post position in general (without reference to the contours of any specific track) that Quirin discussed were at tracks where the main dirt oval was at least one mile around. Horses starting from post position number one in sprints of six furlongs or less and two-turn routes of 1 to 1/1-8 miles on dirt, and post positions 1-3 in two-turn routes of 1 to 1-1/8 miles on turf (where the turns were usually tighter than on the dirt track), had an advantage at those tracks.

Edward DeVere
08-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Clearly, I misinterpreted the question, which I mistakenly thought was about the middle BETTING choices.

As to mid-path biases, they do occur but not very often. When they DO occur, you should always look to the top jockeys at the track. One of the reasons the top jockeys ARE the top jockeys is they have a keen appreciation for the best lanes.

Overlay
08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
It seemed clear to me that the first post in the thread was indeed asking a question dealing with the order of betting choices rather than about post positions. But since it was the original poster who shifted the focus to post positions in post #4 on the thread, I went with the flow. (I don't know of any data regarding track biases favoring certain betting choices, such as the original post was asking about.)

eddessaknight
08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Appreciate all the informative and helpful replies-

@Overlay, you are correct I did shift the inquiry, as my foggy memory of past readings blurred choice with post positions but sincere thanks for your kind but necessary correction.

Good Weekend Punting All,

Edward DeVere
08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, THAT'S perfectly clear.

;-)