PDA

View Full Version : Trouble for Romney

BlueShoe
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Talk about a problem croping up from an unexpected source,Mitt Romney has one coming in a few weeks.A film about the Mountain Meadows Massacre,which occured in Southwestern Utah in September 1857,is coming out.The film,which is about a very controversial and much debated historical event,is sure to arouse anti-Morman sentiment,which will hurt his campaign.As a history buff,am well versed in most of the details of this awful event,and have visited the site where it took place.Since every Hollywood so called historical film never gets it right as to the facts,hope this one gets most of them right.In any case,bad luck for Mitt,this film will hurt him.

DanG
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Talk about a problem croping up from an unexpected source,Mitt Romney has one coming in a few weeks.A film about the Mountain Meadows Massacre,which occured in Southwestern Utah in September 1857,is coming out.The film,which is about a very controversial and much debated historical event,is sure to arouse anti-Morman sentiment,which will hurt his campaign.As a history buff,am well versed in most of the details of this awful event,and have visited the site where it took place.Since every Hollywood so called historical film never gets it right as to the facts,hope this one gets most of them right.In any case,bad luck for Mitt,this film will hurt him.
This is not an endorsement of Romney / or not…but…

IMHO…

Anyone who lets this decide their presidential vote in any way should have their voting rights rescinded on the grounds of incredible stupidity. :bang:

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Something tells me Romney will be President of the US one day...maybe not 2008, but one day. He's way too slick....he even has ME liking him a bit after watching him on TV the other day....that, and he sounds like a young Tom Brokaw...slicker then oil....

I doubt the Mormon thing is really going to crimp his style. After all, Boston didn't fall into the ocean during his reign as Mass. Governor, so why not President Mitt?

DJofSD
08-16-2007, 10:47 PM
After all, Boston didn't fall into the ocean during his reign as Mass. Governor

That's strange. I thought I had heard they had fallen into some kind of hole.

DanG
08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
All politics aside, the ignorance of the average American if you asked them about the Mormon religion is frightening.

Side note; when I supervised a logistics company I knew more pertinent information about the forklift driver’s we hired than many citizens know about our candidates. Just such superficial levels we are operating on I find myself looking away in embarrassment. :ThmbDown:

JustRalph
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
That's strange. I thought I had heard they had fallen into some kind of hole.

The hole is falling on them................thanks to shoddy contracting.........

chickenhead
08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I would think that "Big Love" on HBO has to have some effect on how Mormons are perceived by our culture at large...maybe. Margine is a cutie....

JustRalph
08-17-2007, 12:39 AM
I would think that "Big Love" on HBO has to have some effect on how Mormons are perceived by our culture at large...maybe. Margine is a cutie....

yep, Margine is the resident hottie this year.......they have dressed down Chloe.......bigtime..............

but it is starting to drag..........losing me fast..............

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Been on the History channel lately.

OTM Al
08-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Its been a topic in the entertainment world for a long time. One of the early Sherlock Holmes stories is actually built around the incident.

Don't know about anyone else but this guy really creeps me out in ways that Bush/Cheney could never achieve. Don't like Bush, but I feel that he at least intends to be straight forward with people on most things. Romney just seems like a big plastic political creation that will say or do whatever is necessary. No thanks.

rastajenk
08-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I think he could be an effective Cabinet member, but as leader of the Free World and the Repubican party, I'll pass, too. We can do better.

tonto1944
08-17-2007, 09:53 AM
There has been more mudering and killings in the name of God and Ala in the world than anyone wants to hear. Our ancesters slaughtered the Indians because they wanted their land. More Generals in the 1800's made promises to the Indians and then slaughtered them. I am sure everyone or 95% of the people on this board had family members that were involved. They hated the Irish when they came to this country and the italians and the jews. So that means that Hillarys grandfather was a murderer and so was every other politcian. So if you German because of what happened to the jews in WWII you are in trouble. If you are Italian you have to have Mob connections your in trouble, If your Black because of all the killings going on in Africa you are in trouble. Please.give it a break.

robert99
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Its been a topic in the entertainment world for a long time. One of the early Sherlock Holmes stories is actually built around the incident.

Re Mormons and Sherlock Holmes in Conan Doyle's first book he had no first hand knowledge but, un-Sherlock Holmes like, just accepted their "guilt" from the writings of others. Once he investigated for himself he changed his mind, but by then the lasting damage from these writings was done.

"When Doyle finally visited Utah in May 1923, almost forty years after the publication of A Study in Scarlet, and after making other comments concerning Mormon polygamy and the Danites’ “murderous impulses,” he was understandably apprehensive. But he was relieved after addressing a near-capacity crowd in the Salt Lake Tabernacle concerning his own psychic experiences and those of other recorded on “spirit photographs”. As reported in The Salt Lake Tribune on May 13, 1923, he praised the Mormons for their “breadth of view” and their forebears for their “pioneer pluck”. Recalling his experiences in South Africa during the Boer War, the Mormon pioneers reminded him of the Boers: “rugged, hard-faced men, the brave and earnest women who look as if they had known much suffering and hardship”.

Doyle’s references to Mormonism became more benign after his visit. None of Doyle’s other works where Mormons are mentioned, however, became as famous and popular as A Study in Scarlet, and it was its stereotypical contribution to the popular image of the Mormons that entered, through Sherlock Holmes, the Western world’s social imagination with permanent effects."

BlueShoe
08-23-2007, 08:10 PM
The film "September Dawn" opens nationwide Friday,and it is expected to hurt Romney.An earlier post was contemptuous about any voter being influenced by a Hollywood film,but it would appear that many of the more easily infuenced will be more hostile.Remember,many voters,particularly younger ones,get the bulk of their information from films and the internet,and do not think in depth.Romney himself has stated that he will not view the film and will not comment on it or the events on which it is based.Mitt seems to have many good points,a pity that he may be blamed for something that happened on September 11,1857

Tom
08-23-2007, 10:23 PM
.....Remember,many voters,particularly younger ones,get the bulk of their information from films and the internet,and do not think in depth......

We got a name for people like that.......DEMOCRATS!:lol:

BlueShoe
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Score another one for Tom.However,would make just one little modification to his post;in front of Democrat I would insert the word Liberal.Actually,we could just use Liberal and drop Democrat;any combination of the the two words fits,either alone or combined works,we all get the idea.