PDA

View Full Version : Birth of a NEW system!

Good4Now
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Guaranteed to WORK!

Somewhat like the pundits of the Stock Market have been known to do, I believe it is time for a PA index. The model is represented much like the old Gas Gauge in your car, going left to right from I'm getting KILLED to I'm making SO much money, EVEN I can't believe it!

Judging the current posts here at PA it seems many are running on EMPTY

BIG49010
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
The current Saratoga meeting has been tough for me, I can usually count on a handfull of trainers to supply key winners. Pletcher, Frankel, Asmussen for example, are not getting it done, I don't know if they can't plug the horses in, or if something else is happening this meeting?

My guess is drugs, being Bill Mott, who runs in my opinion a clean operation is the leading trainer.

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Judging the current posts here at PA it seems many are running on EMPTY

How so Kemo Sabe?

Good4Now
08-17-2007, 01:05 AM
PA, from my view point the number and length of threads on things we may hope to influence is out numbering the hash re-hash types of pre and post handicapping threads.

There are many very good players here. One of the ways they are good is their ability to find horses in the 5 to 1 to 10 to 1 range, and more than one a day.

There have been some very good threads as to methods and strategy.
It seems that lately more attention has been focused on things to complain about, albeit in a hopefully constructive manner. More about the business itself and less about why this horse is/was better than the field they faced.

Even the fact that Jean-Luc rode a winner at SAR on Wed. went under the radar.

Hence I have to assume low price horses are dominating, making it very hard to add a few shillings to the bankroll. I am also well aware that since Del Mar and Saratoga are such attention getting venues that run six days out of seven the grind at this time of year is Carborundum at it's coarsest.

Wasn't it Andy Beyer who went to SAR with his numbers for the first time supremely confident of success but at the midpoint of the meet had gone through three quarters of his bankroll? Clearly I 've forgotten which book of his it was in, but I do believe it was him.

** you remember the FAR SIDE of the Lone Ranger finding an "Injun" dictionary? **
touche' !

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2007, 01:21 AM
PA, from my view point the number and length of threads on things we may hope to influence is out numbering the hash re-hash types of pre and post handicapping threads.

There are many very good players here. One of the ways they are good is their ability to find horses in the 5 to 1 to 10 to 1 range, and more than one a day.

It seems that lately more attention has been focused on things to complain about, albeit in a hopefully constructive manner. More about the business itself and less about why this horse is/was better than the field they faced.Topics ebb and flow....and sometimes there is a rush of sentiment in some direction which leads to a flurry of posts on some specific topic. Not to worry. We'll get back to the actual horses soon....

Even the fact that Jean-Luc rode a winner at SAR on Wed. went under the radar.Was that his first? I thought he has had a couple at this point.

timtam
08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
The OTB I go to has many elderly gentlemen and one day after Samyn
won a race an old guy said to me, " your too young to remember but
there used to be an old saying Jean-Luc Samyn on the green ! "

About 30 seconds later when I went back to my seat another old guy
said disgustingly to me , " Jean Luc Samyn when taken off the green "

I figured at least both these guys had Jean Luc-Samyn covered no matter
what. :)

Tom
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
That used to be a big thing at OTB - back in the days of Eddie "the anchor" Maple!:D

pandy
08-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Saratoga's been tough but I've only bet 7 races and cashed two including the 2yo filly who broke the track record yesterday. Werner won't ship a 2yo to the Spa unless he thinks it has quality. Del Mar has always been my best track since I started playing it about 8 years ago and I'm having a great meet.

Good4Now
08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Pandy, I think you have the energy of a bear coming out of hibernation!

Kelso
08-17-2007, 11:06 PM
there used to be an old saying Jean-Luc Samyn on the green ! "

Did the saying refer to Samyn riding the #5 horse?

Wickel
08-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Pandy: Great to hear you're having a great Del Mar meet. I'm certainly not. Just can't catch a read on the new surface. I know alot of your earlier methods were built around early speed, like Speed Demon (or something like that). So you must be doing something different to offset the deep Polytrack at DM.

pandy
08-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Most of my systems could be defined more as pace systems than speed systems with emphasis on acceleration both early and late. Early speed is a great longshot indicator, but so is late speed in routes. On Polytrack, anything over 6f late speed becomes a big key. Honestlythough, I've always handicapped Del Mar as a sustained track, even when it was dirt. But over the years, many of my best hits at Del Mar were first time starters and I don't know that the Polytrack has changed the way you handicap firsters. One thing I will say, turf pedigree and turf figures are important on Polytrack. For instance, a lot of horses this meet have won on Polytrack that actually had the best (highest) turf figures in the race.

toetoe
08-20-2007, 04:37 PM
It seems the old, beaten-to-death route-to-sprint angle might make a comeback with the advent of Astrodirt ?

pandy
08-20-2007, 05:18 PM
The turnback angle works great on Polytrack, as does turf route to dirt sprint. Anything that provides conditioning and stamina is going to help a horse on a tiring surface like Polytrack.

Rook
08-20-2007, 06:15 PM
It seems that lately more attention has been focused on things to complain about, albeit in a hopefully constructive manner. More about the business itself and less about why this horse is/was better than the field they faced.

I hadn't posted much at all over the last several months but in my opinion the past week has been a banner week for this board. I generally don't turn to PA for advice on how to handicap but I certainly do log in for information and opinions on what is going on in thoroughbred racing.

I'm energized by what I've read because for the first time ever, the members of this board have made it their goal to come together to bring about positive changes to this very sick industry. This is a very worthwhile endevour and it is certainly not a sign that we have been losers at the track.

Quite the contrary, professionals look under every stone for a chance to improve their bottom line. Being able to bet into every track at maximum rebates is an issue that is finally getting its proper attention.

JustMissed
08-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Why would you expect the better players to give out their longshots or key horses on a regular basis?

Much to my regret have you noticed that The Fat Man has been silent for a while. Just a few weeks ago he gave out a couple of races that I and some other cruched. Cannot remember the date but Bo-rail went up the rail and his horse won paying 6-1. Another race on that same card that The Fat Man mentioned also paid 6-1.

I certainly wish there were more open forums about specific races but it isn't going to have. The better players are quite frankly too busy.

JM :)