PDA

View Full Version : Here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon

Turfday
08-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Okay, here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon. The book, "A Thinking Man's Guide to Handicapping" was originally published prior to 1978 by Westcliff Publications in Newport Beach, CA.

I have a signed copy of the book (copyright 1978) from the author, Dr. Frank DeFiore, who used the "nom de plume" Katcha Goodwon simply as a goof. And he told me that. Frank signed the book with the notation, "Bob, thought you'd like to have the latest updated version." He published an updated version after that.

For a number of years, I had a second home in Del Mar, CA at the Del Mar Beach Club and I would spend the entire summer there and, at the time, was very involved as a thoroughbred owner in several partnerships as well as handicapping professionally.

Frank was actually a heart surgeon and a thoroughbred owner. And my neighbor. He lived in Newport Beach, but also used the condo as a second home during Del Mar and lived right across the path from me. I do know that Frank had mixed success as a thoroughbred owner and his daughter, Leslie, became a trainer in California for some years.

I loved his book and thought he made some great points. And, as he noted right on Page One, he wrote the book simply because of.....EGO. And he made that very clear. Frank basically was a small-time, $10 bettor and he also mentioned that on Page One. He also said that if he won $30 on a given day, he would go home happy. That's also right on Page One.

I haven't seen or heard of Frank in more than 20 years, nor do I even know if he's still around.

Heuer
08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Thinking Man II - The Golden Guide to Handicapping, Training and Racing
by Katcha Goodwon.

A very good book that I have read many times.
I like Goodwons approach to beating the races.

Handicapping is not about numbers, it's about horses.
"Horses are not motorcycles".

Good4Now
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks VERY much for that Bob!

I consider his book(s) to be one of the best and have found myself trying to discern who he might be. Upward and onward. Thanks again!

RaceBookJoe
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
His first book is in my catalog. I remember it as very entertaining, thought it was decent for what it was.