PDA

View Full Version : Bad beats anyone?

superfecta
12-23-2002, 01:59 AM
Since we are coming to an end of the year,I wonder if anyone care to relate their most harrowing loss this year.DQs,bad rides,lost tickets,etc.Any that would care to reply,feel free.My year has not been great,but it could have been worse.I think outside factors(not related to racing)spilled over into my handicapping.So lets hear from you all.

smf
12-23-2002, 02:50 AM
Easy for me to recall mine. Valentine's Day I fulfilled a promise to take the g/f to lunch, missing a day of work/ betting. I liked HELLO CAROLYN at Laurel. I don't bet what I can't see, but I shoulda made an exception that one time. HC won and pd $34 plus.

Net profits w/h been over 6k. Next few weeks weren't pretty.

midnight
12-23-2002, 02:53 AM
Semi bad beat. I got DQ'd off of a 45-1 shot. It was blowing by the 3/5 favorite in the stretch and lugged in and bumped it hard. No question it deserved to be disqualified, but if it hadn't bumped, it would have won easilly anyway. The fav finished 2nd and was placed first, so my $20 exacta saver got me $600, but I had $100 on it to win, and $4,600+ would have been much nicer.

GameTheory
12-23-2002, 03:02 AM
How about good luck? Betting on Domedriver in the BC by accidentally choosing the wrong race using BrisBet had to be my favorite score of the year.

JustRalph
12-23-2002, 05:28 AM
I played about ten races one day. Two different tracks. In four of the races the horse I had keyed, bet to win, whatever, broke down and 3 of the 4 were put down. The 4th one was put down the next day. The 3rd and 4th one happen in back to back races. The guy I was playing with told me I was scaring him. I felt like I was killing them just by punching in the tickets.......I took a few days off after that. :confused:

hurrikane
12-23-2002, 06:43 AM
2 come to mind although there was a 2 week stretch where it seemed everything that won was taken down.

On the first turn at CRC my 37-1 shot came in a little quick on a horse that never had a chance in the race. He finished second and they took him down erasing a 400.00 ex and about 4 grand in funny money.

The worst was a GG...I had 5 live P4 tickets and in the last race was nosed at the wire. That wasn't the worst of it. Everyone sitting with me thought my horse won. No photo..quick call to make the race official and before you knew it they were loading the next race in the gate. Not even a photo..christ..what a rip.
I don't mind taking a loss but at least make it fair. Those 5 tickets would have paid about 6 grand.

BIG HIT
12-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Hi at calder had a 20 to1 shot go wire to wire won fairly easy.Thats the good part the bad went to cash the ticket and only paid me half.Something was wrong with the machine so before excepting the read out of about 4 to1.
Took the ticket and put it in a auto tote which said take it to cashier.The ticket was the problem the machine had printed it funny did not look like other ticket's.
So i got 4 to 1 on a 20 to 1 some times it is just not ment to be.This happen at hazel park raceway sim race.They are not! people frendly track.One time stood right in front of mutual clerk and he ignored me while he punched tickets for his friend behind the counter with him,That cost me the tri.
Some times the horse god's kick you where the sun don't shine LOL love this game\business

Tom
12-23-2002, 08:57 PM
I once bet a hore named Mill Reef in a race at four miles and 70 yards! He got lapped!

I had a horse named Snoopy Knoop - he was running a race at - three miles and 70 yards! He was about a half a mile in front in deep stretch (lierally - the secnd horse was just turning for home when Snoopy was a jump in fron of the wire). I turned to my friend and said "Easiest money I ever made ( 15-1). On cue, the rider fell off-so close to the wire, he was in the photo-in the air).

GR1@HTR
12-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Think it was the Hollywood meet. Anyways the final day of one of the SoCal tracks and there was a carryover in the P6 and a mandatory payout. I figure to plunk down about $200 on the P6. Through 4 races, I have a $60 winner in a 6 horse field and another $30 or $40 winner...Much of the pool has been eliminated...I single a closer in the 5th leg w/ Tyler baze abord...It loses by a nostril...No joke, it was a nose hair(3rd or 4th choice in off odds). 1 more yard and it woulda won..one of those deals...So no big payout for me I figure...But I still figure no one else might hit the p6 so I'm still due a 5 to 6 figure payout if I can hit the final leg. I nail the final leg and am anticipating a nice payout...something to make the year. Turns out, one guy hit the P6 that day. It was the largest Payout for a P6 to date, w/ $1.4 in the pool the one guy nails $900K plus....

Guess how the guy picked the winning ticket? A $2 quick pick...Like a lotto ticket that the computer automatically spit out...So if it wasn't for that lucky guy and there were only 10 (which I think was an accurate estimate) 5/6 winners I take home $100Kish...Or if I my single had won the bob I might of taken down the whole pool since the horse I had was at longer odds than the winner...

So much for all that...

delayjf
12-23-2002, 10:21 PM
Over a period of two weekends, I lost 8 photo finishes on horses with the lowest odds at 10-1. These photos were nose bobs, At least three times I would not have had the winner even if I worked for autotote.

smf
12-24-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by GR1
Think it was the Hollywood meet. Anyways the final day of one of the SoCal tracks and there was a carryover in the P6 and a mandatory payout. I figure to plunk down about $200 on the P6. Through 4 races, I have a $60 winner in a 6 horse field and another $30 or $40 winner...Much of the pool has been eliminated...I single a closer in the 5th leg w/ Tyler baze abord...It loses by a nostril...No joke, it was a nose hair(3rd or 4th choice in off odds). 1 more yard and it woulda won..one of those deals...So no big payout for me I figure...But I still figure no one else might hit the p6 so I'm still due a 5 to 6 figure payout if I can hit the final leg. I nail the final leg and am anticipating a nice payout...something to make the year. Turns out, one guy hit the P6 that day. It was the largest Payout for a P6 to date, w/ $1.4 in the pool the one guy nails $900K plus....

Guess how the guy picked the winning ticket? A $2 quick pick...Like a lotto ticket that the computer automatically spit out...So if it wasn't for that lucky guy and there were only 10 (which I think was an accurate estimate) 5/6 winners I take home $100Kish...Or if I my single had won the bob I might of taken down the whole pool since the horse I had was at longer odds than the winner...

So much for all that...

GR1,

I remember that! I recall reading your email that detailed your p6 bet that day. In fact I saw the race (del mar i believe) and actually thought you'd won the leg.

Makes me feel better, hoss. That 6k that I didn't collect don't feel so bad now, HEHEHE. :)

Six figs gone, by a nose hair...Now that WAS a bad beat.

keilan
12-24-2002, 02:00 AM
Bad beat - - June 2002, pick 7 and alive to 4 horse's in the last race. To make a long story short I finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Horse that beats me pays $16.80 to win, should have paid $60.00. I looked at this horse's last 10 or 12 races before and after the race, and it just wasn't possible. I've been ripped before but this one hurt, 60k would have been a nice touch.

The good news though, is I've had worse beats but this thread is limited only to the year 2002.

Tom
12-24-2002, 10:04 AM
I catch the first half of the late DD at FL - a $14.00 horse. I have him wheeled with 7 out of 11 horses in the last race. At the wire,
the four I left out run 1-2-3-4 and I never get a horse in contention.

Kir-4-5 shot at FL. I wheel him over every horse in the race except one. The one that ran seccond at 50-1.

Batavia-I wheel a 1-9 shot over two 35-1 shots in the Ex.
1-9 breaks stride in the stretch, the two bombs run 1-2, exaccta pays $3500 - I have both bombs in the second hole only. No win money for a saver. Enter:the alcohol years.

GR1@HTR
12-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I remember your VDay debacle as well. You shoulda asked her to cut you a check for $6K for taking her out...Or would that of been out of line?

so.cal.fan
12-24-2002, 03:00 PM
I think it was Beyer who wrote years ago, that if you have a tough beat, it can ruin your game for days even weeks.
You feel "cheated" and bet recklessly trying to recover.
Has that happened to anyone?
Gr 1 ? Did you regain your composure after that pick 6?
Anyone have any suggestions how to combat this unfortunate turn of events?
Someone wrote a great article in ATM years ago. Wish I could remember who it was.
Talked about the MESSIAH COMPLEX......winning streaks where you feel you can "walk the infield lakes" and the JOB COMPLEX....losing streaks where you ask friends "do you think I'll EVER win another race.....EVER????
Either complex is the kiss of death. LOL

smf
12-24-2002, 05:51 PM
SCF,

Ya, that was the deal with me in February after that missed bet. A week later I had 2 dq's, both were nice prices too. For the next month I made some bets I looked back on and wondered "what the hell was that"...Might have been good claimed froms, but the patterns didn't make sense...., or I took a swing on a good claiming trainer w/ a bad claimed from....

Like I said, the next few weeks weren't pretty. March thru July were rough to say the least.

As Tom Landry used to say "it's time for re-evaluation, here".

superfecta
12-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
I think it was Beyer who wrote years ago, that if you have a tough beat, it can ruin your game for days even weeks.
You feel "cheated" and bet recklessly trying to recover.
Has that happened to anyone?
Gr 1 ? Did you regain your composure after that pick 6?
Anyone have any suggestions how to combat this unfortunate turn of events?
Someone wrote a great article in ATM years ago. Wish I could remember who it was.
Talked about the MESSIAH COMPLEX......winning streaks where you feel you can "walk the infield lakes" and the JOB COMPLEX....losing streaks where you ask friends "do you think I'll EVER win another race.....EVER????
Either complex is the kiss of death. LOL I have seen what you talk of SCF.Another funny thing I have seen,a player hits one good one,and gets the I can't lose-itis and proceeds to bet back all the winnings plus some.
I don't know how one gets back their equilibrium after a bad loss,some just do,some it takes time,some I think,never do.(they become the woulda, coulda ,shoulda crowd?)
I have learned to be able to compartmentalize the near wins,it doesn't bother me like others I have seen.After losing big payoffs with the right horses in the wrong positions,I just shrug it off,I know theres always another race.But others around me that have seen my tix have been more upset about it than me and they didn't even pick one of the horses!

Anyways Happy X-mas,Happy Boxing day,Happy Kwanza,(and to my Indian brethen)Happy Can't wait till the oceans rise up and sweep the white man into the sea day.Ok,I made that last one up,but WE CAN DREAM CAN"T WE?

:D :D

Handle
12-25-2002, 02:46 PM
Ralph,

That was a scary day -- you introduced a new term into handicapping vocabulary -- Bet Mortality Rate!

-N

Originally posted by JustRalph
I played about ten races one day. Two different tracks. In four of the races the horse I had keyed, bet to win, whatever, broke down and 3 of the 4 were put down. The 4th one was put down the next day. The 3rd and 4th one happen in back to back races. The guy I was playing with told me I was scaring him. I felt like I was killing them just by punching in the tickets.......I took a few days off after that. :confused:

Fastracehorse
12-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Worse: Loved a horse and he was on my watch list. Somehow I forgot he was entered in a turf event. I had a prime bet going in the last and he won at 7:2. But the above forgetfulness was a nightmare because I would have had a multiple p-3 ticket that paid very well. How did I forget about that horse?? Fatigue.

2nd worse: Had one horse going in the last leg of a p-3. He had a ton of horse chasing a speed duel on the rail. I could see he was the winner if he found a hole. I was begging the rider to relax because he had the entire stretch to find an opening. The rider panicked, the horse was steadied twice and finshed 2nd. I was mad for 3 days.

3rd worse: Had 3 horses in 2nd leg of a p-3. Nosed out by a horse that I should have used. p-3 ended up paying 2 out of 3. I luved the 2 longshots.

I always felt terrible if I had a price horse win a leg of a p-3 and then I wasted it. This post actually has me thinking of alot of tough ones. There were good ones in there too.

fffastt

freeneasy
12-26-2002, 01:56 PM
was outat Ventura county fairgrounds on a wet rainy day playn SA, using a new speed-pace chart I finished developing. bet the first 3 races, just horrible results. Screw it, Iam going home, wellll just let me put in a quick pk6 ticket and then ill go home. ok with you Bert, ok with me Ernie, so I put in a $2 p6 but in the last leg I couldnt seperate 2 horses and since my first 3 bets produced so horribly I decided auu why waste 2 bucks to play the second horse when I probably wont even get this far anyway. So Ileft the one horse out and singled all 6 races. next day I pick up the paper, check the results and you guessed it JoeBob, 5 straight winners with the winning horse in the last leg being the one I decided to leave out. sheee-yit. screw me and all the trimmins that go with it. well I did hit the consolation which is better n a sharp stick in the eye but it sho aint no consolation when you think of the 2 bucks I saved.

freeneasy
12-27-2002, 11:16 PM
got anotherone for ya super
some months back a friend of mine hooked me up with a bookie, so a couple of days of some token betting I find a couple of bets I liked alot, so ring, ring. yeah hey, how ya doing. I like a couple of bets here I wanna play.
ok waddaya got
I like this trifecta here, and roll these three pick 3s.
so he takes my bet
couple hours later I check the results and wham-o I hit the $1900 tri with my $50 odd dollar winner on top as well as starting out the pk3 in the same race. Bam, 2nd leg winner. Bam, 3rd leg winner. One pk3 down two more to go. Bayam, 3rd leg winner in my 2nd pk3. 2 down one more to go.
Well I lost the last leg of my 3rd pk3, but the total payout was some $2700 for a $1 tri and a $1 pk3 and I had it all twice on a $2 everything for a total of some $5400.
So comes payday and my boy hands me like a thousand bucks. I says What the fks this thousand bucks shit, you playn me or what, he says wha, whadaya mean. I says your four large short on my payoff, and I called your phone boy and double checked my bet after it hit, and he confirmed my play. An Im thinkin whdamI, gonna have to get thuggie on this guy.
turns out these guys only pay like a hundred bucks on a $1 tri and two hundred on a $1 pk3.
Its a good thing I always carry an extra cry'n towel around with me Super, cause Iam here to tell ya, man was I freak'n bummed. Well I guess like I said before, a thousand bucks is probably better'n a sharp stick in the eye.

superfecta
12-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Taking your action to a Bookie.....for shame.
Cmon guys,anybody top Free?he gonna get the prize just because he got two posts...I know you can do better..Its almost Midnite Cinderella....

Zaf
12-30-2002, 09:03 PM
I had win on the #7 Kiss Mom (4-1) at TUP today in the 10th.

If anyone saw the race or has access to the replay. I think you confidently say you were counting your money 3 feet from the Wire.

ZAFONIC

cj
01-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Now this is a bad beat if you had tickets on the actual race winner!

Daily Racing Form Article (http://www.drf2000.com/news/article/43384.html)

CJ

GameTheory
01-07-2003, 12:45 AM
They are honoring tickets -- what if you have an electronic "ticket" from BrisBet or YouBet -- can you get paid?