Style Best
Posts Distance #
Race %
Wire Best
****Style Best
7.0fDirt 105 24% *****E Inside
1 1/16mDirt 144 21% **P Middle
1 3/16mDirt 1 0% ****S Rail/Ins

Of 427 races so far for the meet, 1 was a sustain closer!

thelyingthief
08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
define sustained closer.

kenwoodallpromos
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
define sustained closer.
I go with Brisnet's definition of "S".
"E = Early runner (must have the lead at the 2nd call)

EP = Early presser (comfortable either on the lead or running very close to the lead at the 2nd call)

P = Presser (doesn't want the lead or even being too close to the leader. Comfortable laying 4 to 6 length's off the pace)

S = Sustainer (likes to come from way off the pace with a driving finish in the stretch run)

50. Percent Early

This is a calculation of a horse's preferred running style with respect to it's early energy expenditure. A high percentage means a horse prefers to run fast early. A low percentage means a horse prefers to run fast late. A very good description and evaluation of early energy is included in TOM BROHAMER's book "Modern Pace Handicapping"."

DJofSD
08-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I go with Brisnet's definition of "S".

What exactly is it? I strongly suspect it is flawed.

Depending upon the race, one of the things I'll look for is when my handicapping gives me a different designation that what BRIS has listed.

socantra
08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
What exactly is it? I strongly suspect it is flawed.

"Waiting for Godot" certainly fits someone looking for the one true, unflawed definition of a 'sustained' running style.

From what I've seen, Jim Bradshaw differs from Jim Cramer, who differs from Tom Brohammer, who differs from Howard Sartin, who differs from Craig Milkowski, who differs from Randy Giles, etc. etc. They all differ from BRIS.

Running style designations are a very personal thing, depending largely on the use you make of them. Either way, horses who run late from way back would seem to be at some disadvantage at Woodbine.

DJofSD
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Running style designations are a very personal thing, depending largely on the use you make of them. Either way, horses who run late from way back would seem to be at some disadvantage at Woodbine.

I don't follow WOX any more but I'll take it from you and/or zz that in general that is true.

Running styles can be a personal thing. But what value are they if BRIS publishes them? If they are subjective why publish them? They are, at best, misleading or just plain wrong. They are good for me because they'll mislead the uninformed.