PDA

View Full Version : Question for/on Florida, Louisiana and California Horsemen

NoCal Boy
08-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Just curious as to how the board here feels about this question...

Do people here think the Florida horsemen (with Gulfstream), Louisian horsemen (with Fair grounds) and California horsemen (with Santa Anita and Golden Gate) will consent to their signals being restricted to TrackNet only ADW's?

Alfortish of Louisiana HBPA has already stated that they intend on having Youbet involved with Fair Grounds this winter, but I am curious on how people here view this issue. Given Magna's statements about Gulfstream yesterday, one can guess the Florida horsemen are gearing up for battle there and historically the TOC has not allowed for exclusives on Magna content in California.

The combination of horsemen/regulator pressure and declining economics at TVG as exclusivities go away there hopefully will bring common sense later this year.

Good4Now
08-12-2007, 12:09 AM
COMMON SENSE? You're not paying attention Son, this is about GREED!

As I posted in the EVANS thread over a week ago he's going to lock up that signal anyway he can. The specific timing of it is all that's uncertain. Maybe Miss Cleo can tell you that. But the really sad part is he is going to have his SPIN people making him look like a hero while holding a gun to everyone's head. Straight out of Blazing Saddles, but in the movie he was holding the gun to his own head!

Any one care to venture any estimates of how much these Ties pocketed in the way of kick-backs and under the table envelopes during the renovation of Churchill Downs and Gulfstream? Now that's something the shareholders SHOULD have asked about, but I didn't even hear a whimper. Did anyone?

No amount of sugar or honey will make this taste good while the horsemen are swallowing it, but he will get them to swallow it, in the name of a new future for horseracing. It'll be like they're lining up for Castor Oil.

boomman
08-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Just curious as to how the board here feels about this question...

Do people here think the Florida horsemen (with Gulfstream), Louisian horsemen (with Fair grounds) and California horsemen (with Santa Anita and Golden Gate) will consent to their signals being restricted to TrackNet only ADW's?

Alfortish of Louisiana HBPA has already stated that they intend on having Youbet involved with Fair Grounds this winter, but I am curious on how people here view this issue. Given Magna's statements about Gulfstream yesterday, one can guess the Florida horsemen are gearing up for battle there and historically the TOC has not allowed for exclusives on Magna content in California.

The combination of horsemen/regulator pressure and declining economics at TVG as exclusivities go away there hopefully will bring common sense later this year.

Horsemen in Texas and Louisiana have already spoken on this subject and have backed the ADW's 100%! After all, they are the ones losing revenues (as partners in handle) while the tracknet clowns (among others) withhold signals from the ADW's that would increase THEIR Revenue and purse structures by bringing new players to the pools! The horsemen absolutely are the ones that can and must work toward changing this and holding the execs responsible at The TOC, Fingerlakes, Tracknet and The TRPB tracks that are withholding the signals and hurting them, players and the industry as a whole by doing so!

Boomer

NoCal Boy
08-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Please elaborate on what the horsemen have said or done in Texas and Louisiana? I know Alfortish said Youbet will be involved with Fair Grounds, but that is the extent of what I have seen.

Thanks for responding.

boomman
08-12-2007, 01:22 AM
NoCal: Without divulging any potential confidential information, (while not avoiding your question at the same time) I can just tell you that contracts are in place with the horsemen's involvement and blessing in those states and more contracts will be announced soon........

Boomer

NoCal Boy
08-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Fully understand and appreciate your inability to get into specifics, but are you saying that the Texas and Louisiana horsemen are getting successful at opening up access to ADW's like Youbet and PTC, among others for TrackNet content in those states?

I do know the Louisiana horsemen were successful in brokering some sort of deal with TVG and Youbet on Evangeline earlier in the year and it appears that has gone very well for all involved.

I do know that Louisiana Downs and Delta Downs have non-exclusive marketing deals with Youbet and LA Downs has done well with it and Delta's starts up in October. But these are non-exclusive which is good for all.

The only LA "exclusive" for TrackNet is Fair Grounds and Alfortish has stated Youbet will be involved there. Hopefully others like PTC as well.

As for Texas, I think Lone Star is the only TrackNet track and their meet was dismal. Will their upcoming quarter horse meet have open access?

Again, I am trying to get a better idea of where everything stands today. Are you saying that the Texas ad Louisiana horsemen are getting cooperation with TrackNet so that restricted access to ADW's will not be happening in these states?

Finally, when does the contract between the horsemen and Fair Grounds need to be approved in Louisiana?

Your comment that horsemen realize they need new people to the game and ADW's bring that to them, especially some more than others based on demographic studies, is critical.

Any ideas as to timing? It seems to me that once Saratoga's, Del Mar's and Arlington's meets are over in early September, the time will be ripe for a resolution among the major players that is brokered by horsemen.

boomman
08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Nocal: I will answer as many questions for you as I can, but let me say up front that I can not answer any questions involving the tracknet negotiations. As for the non-tracknet tracks in those states, the horsemen have some deals already in place with the ADW's that have been made public (ie: Delta, Louisiana Downs and Sam Houston not to mention Fair Meadows and Will Rogers Downs in Oklahoma) and additional announcements will be made soon. I stand by my previous statement that the horsemen do get the importance of adding new $$ to the pools via contracts with the ADW's in these states and hopefully it will serve notice to the other horsemen groups in surrounding states as well as nationwide that the horsemen do "have a dog in this fight" (pardon the pun) and can and MUST make this happen for the future of our sport!

Boomer

NoCal Boy
08-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you. Fully understnd the tracknet negotiations as they are complex, etc.

I sound like a broken record, but the concept is not hard to grasp for horsemen. Sell to as many ADW's that are willing to pay the going rate and all benefit. It is laughable when Churchill comes out and says that they received greater revenues from the lower handle because of the higher host fees. THat is not the issue. How much greater revenues will the horsemen have if all ADW's willing to pay the price had access to the content.

I am aware of the Delta and LA Downs non-exclusive marketing deals with Youbet, but when you have the chance can you elaborate on some of the deals with other tracks you mentioned (to the extent possible).

I do feel there is a window coming up in September as the major summer meets end to bring some sanity here with horsemen, tracks, ADW's , etc.

California might heat up as well with new ADW rules later this month or next. ADW sunsets on 12/31/07 and the TOC has floated a proposal that seems to make alot of sense.

NoCal Boy
08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Any idea on how much longer the Turf Paradise exclusivity deal goes with TVG?