PDA

View Full Version : Trial set in jockey weight scandal

Ron
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Trial set in jockey weight scandal
Case of former clerks of scales will open next month in Saratoga County
By DENNIS YUSKO (http://timesunion.com/TUNews/author/AuthorPage.aspx?AuthorNum=134), Staff writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Friday, August 10, 2007

BALLSTON SPA -- A slimmed-down "fat jockey" case will go to trial next month, two years after then-Attorney General Eliot Spitzer charged that New York Racing Association employees were defrauding the public by allowing overweight riders to race.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=613107&category=FRONTPG&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/10/2007

Milleruszk
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
The Prosecution admits that neither guy received any renumeration from the jockeys or NYRA for submitting incorrect weights. If this is true, and the weights were incorrect, than the only thing they are guilty of is incompetence.
This is a classic case of two guys getting caught up in a political battle. I hope the defendants prevail. Spitzer is starting to look more and more like Mike Nefong.

kenwoodallpromos
08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
"making them the first of more than 20 NYRA workers to contest corruption charges Spitzer lodged against them between 2001 and 2005, prior to becoming governor."
Later on the article says 2o clerks were already convicted of crimes over the counter. Doies that make over 40 clerks and track officials that are innocently pursued by Elliot, or is the NYRA just that corrupt? Didn't the old pick 6 scandal involve a NYRA person?

jotb
08-10-2007, 02:33 PM
The Prosecution admits that neither guy received any renumeration from the jockeys or NYRA for submitting incorrect weights. If this is true, and the weights were incorrect, than the only thing they are guilty of is incompetence.
This is a classic case of two guys getting caught up in a political battle. I hope the defendants prevail. Spitzer is starting to look more and more like Mike Nefong.

I hope everything works out for Braulio and Mario. They are both down to earth gentleman. Supposely the jockeys were getting away with 7-15 pounds which I find ludicrous. I never read anyway that the trainers had anything to say but I can tell you that if a jockey is 15lbs over-weight it would be noticeable by trainers. One of my jocks in the past was able to do 112 meaning stripped he was around 108. One day I said to him you look like you put a few pounds on and sure enough he was unable to make 112. He started doing 115 and that's only a 3 pound difference. I know where I'm based there is not one jock that gets away with anything when it comes to weight. That's why we have many over-weights each night. I know there have been a couple of nights where riders have been over as much as 7lbs. If that happens the jock will be fined. You are allowed 6lbs at the most. You will see this in early spring when a jockeys are riding 3yo's

Joe