PDA

View Full Version : Racing Post Rating

sealord
08-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Anybody got a quick and dirty conversion to Beyer from the Racing Post Rating? The RPR seems so subjective being that its not based on final time, I'm in doubt as to whether one should even bother. But I was wondering if anyone has tried something. I think -15 or so would be ballpark...

bobphilo
08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Anybody got a quick and dirty conversion to Beyer from the Racing Post Rating? The RPR seems so subjective being that its not based on final time, I'm in doubt as to whether one should even bother. But I was wondering if anyone has tried something. I think -15 or so would be ballpark...

Any adjustment of raw times to get a speed or performance rating is based on the subjective opinion of the figure maker. It's just a question of degree. The Racing Post ratings, much like TimeForm, involve a higher degree of subjectivity because of both the wide variations in pace as well as different courses at the same track. Under such circumstances that one sees in European racing, unadjusted final times are even more meaningless than they are here.

AS far as conversions, I've found that subtracting 15 points from TimeForm gives a good Beyer equivalent. I’d guess that a similar conversion factor works with the Racing Post since both the RP and TF ratings represent the horse’s theoretical weight assignment, so they’re on the same scale. There might be some slight difference in how each rates an equivalent performance, which may have been mentioned in the DRF article where they announced the switchover.

Bob