PDA

View Full Version : The Green Monkey's debut

Horsefan
08-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Does anybody else have any ideas or backstretch info on The Green Monkey's latest happenings and the debut I am so waiting for . . .

Green Monkey

I have heard speculation that The Green Monkey will make his debut on Aug. 25th in the 4th race- 6 1/2 furlongs, Maiden Three Year Olds and Up, Purse $62,000. This is also Traver's Day and I am so hoping that The Green Monkey just blows them away! I don't like to see people, even very wealthy ones, mocked for spending their money how they choose. Or to have people making a long running joke out of anyone's misfortune. I like to see people do well, and I hope they can recoup their investment. To do so it is estimated that The Green Monkey will have to become a Grade I winner and command a $50,000 stud fee.

The reason behind the Traver's day being the likely spot to put The Green Monkey is- They said that he would run in the second half of Saratoga and there are a handful of races available to put him in. One of the other options involved a Maiden Special Weight at 1 1/16 miles, and there are also turf races.

On 7/22 at Belmont The Green Monkey had the third fastest work out of 19 horses. That's not so bad.

On 7/29 he arrived at Saratoga, acting "very professional around the barn" said Mr. Pletcher.

Horsefan
08-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I guess we cannot edit our posts later on so I will just put this here-

On July 8th at Belmont The Green Monkey had the 2nd best work out of 31. He went 5 furlongs in 1:00.31H.

Again, if anyone comes across any additional info on his debut or his progress I would love to hear it. Thanks:)

classhandicapper
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
He may or may not get overbet based on his reputation because there are two camps.

1. The people that will look at the purchase price, pedigree, trainer etc... and assume he must be really good.

2. The people that think the owner overpaid and have heard that the horse is nothing special and are looking to play against him.

The reality is that the horse is working like he has some ability. IMHO it would be smarter to just retire him than allow him to embarass himself on the track if he doesn't. So I suspect if he does make it to the races he will run a decent race. Whether he wins or not will depend on the strength of the field.

Ron
08-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Retire him? They have a lot of money to recover!

BIG49010
08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Based on Pletcher's record at SPA, he must have green monkey giving his horses the grip!

Horsefan
08-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks everybody for weighing in. Each day I look at five or so racing news sites but than I hear something on here that's new, so I'll keep checking to see if there is some new info.

I did some math:eek: The Green Monkey cost $16,000,000, add to that $100,000 per year ($4,500 month trainer, veterinary expenses, nominations, travel) for his racing campaign x 3 years= $16,300,000

Now divide that by $400,000, $100,000 being the cost for a good racehorse and campaigning that horse for 3 years.

= 40.75 racehorses purchased for $100,000 each could be campaigned 3 years for the same expense of one The Green Monkey.

Still, I admire anyone for having enough money that they can spend it the way they want. Hoping for The Green Monkey to win his debut.

classhandicapper
08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Retire him? They have a lot of money to recover!

He would probably retain more value retired with "some sort of injury" that prevented him from running than actually running and embarassing himself. I think the decision to run suggests that they think he has enough potential to win a stake eventually.

gIracing
08-11-2007, 05:14 PM
if the green monkey so much as wins a grade 3, Tabor will make his money back and more. Just let him put the Coolmore hype machine to work

Footstepsinthesand standing for 30 damn thousand dollars with 3 starts.. that's right.. 10k per start

Edward DeVere
08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Pletcher is on record that he will not run The Green Monkey unless Pletcher expects him to win.

BIG RED
08-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Still, I admire anyone for having enough money that they can spend it the way they want.

Is admire the right word you wanted?

I will be one of the varmints going against. Hopefully is in a decent field, and he gets overbet. I have seen this horse, somewhat impressive in structure, but seems to have a lack of fight. So, will have to prove me wrong at the window.

Horsefan
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=BIG RED]
I have seen this horse, somewhat impressive in structure, but seems to have a lack of fight.

Thanks Big Red, that's some of the inside info I was looking for.

cj
08-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Just for the record, this horse did NOT cost any $16 million dollars. It is all part of the games played at sales that I am not going to get into. Anyone that knows anything about these sales know that sales price is a farce.

Wiley
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Enlighten us CJ. What did it cost Coolmore?
Not being privy to sales ring dynamics if what you say is true then it sounds like something bording on fraud. Or a guess, are you talking about some kind of clause possibly written into the sale based on future racing performance or breeding ability of the horse affecting sale price or enforcement of retention of partial ownership to the consignors? My understanding is the Shiek and Coolmore got into a bidding war thus the huge price paid.

Premier Turf Club
08-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Just for the record, this horse did NOT cost any $16 million dollars. It is all part of the games played at sales that I am not going to get into. Anyone that knows anything about these sales know that sales price is a farce.

CJ, its funny I heard the exact same thing last year when he sold.

It will be very interesting to see how he does. A clocker I know in NY said he looked awful on dirt when he worked on it last year. He had a lot of issues behind then, maybe he's outgrown them.

classhandicapper
08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
He should be very close to a race. He's had four nice 5F works following a few 4F works. I doubt he's more than a work away and may even be ready now.

Humph
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
if the green monkey so much as wins a grade 3, Tabor will make his money back and more. Just let him put the Coolmore hype machine to work

Footstepsinthesand standing for 30 damn thousand dollars with 3 starts.. that's right.. 10k per start

Footstepsinthesands seems to have led a charmed life.

Luck shined on him the day he won the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket. Sheikh Mohammed , in his wisdom, decided not run Shamardal (who would have picked Footstepsinthesand up and carried him) in the Classic and , instead, chose to run the inferior Dubawi. He did this because Dubawi, unlike Shamardal, was sired by the Sheikh's beloved Dubai Millennium ; SM wanted a son of his ill-fated stallion to win the Classic, but didn't really take into consideration which horse had the best chance of winning . Dubawi went on to finish third.

46zilzal
08-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Kodiak Kowboy, now undefeated, takes the Saratoga Special in impressive style.

Horsefan
08-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Not entirely undefeated, your forgetting he lost his debut at two furlongs.

Way to go Kodiak Kowboy!

46zilzal
08-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Not entirely undefeated, your forgetting he lost his debut at two furlongs.

Way to go Kodiak Kowboy!

That was a public work out not a race in my book.

Horsefan
08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
2 furlongs did sound a little strange:eek:

Horsefan
08-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Green Monkey update-

No he will not start on Traver's day:(

Todd Pletcher said that he will not run at Saratoga unless a race opens up in the last week. When asked if he will ever run, Todd replied "Oh yeah, he'll start at Belmont"

Spendabuck85
08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Unraced three-year-old THE GREEN MONKEY (Forestry), who sold for a world-record $16 million at auction in 2006, worked five furlongs from the gate in :59 4/5.

Horsefan
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Thank you Spendabuck!:)

ghostyapper
08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Article in bloodhorse today ruling out any chance of him starting at saratoga. I'm convinced this horse will never see the track. He's been working since march yet he's not ready for a race yet?

RobinFromIreland
08-24-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't know anything about these sales. Please tell me.