PDA

View Full Version : Ever come across a bear?

jognlope
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
A frield and I heard a black bear outside the tent one night, way back in the 80s, but didn't see it. We were frozen city kids from NYC, had backpacked up one of the Adirondack trails. I was too scared of bears and cut the trip short. Was supposed to be a week, which could have been because there was plenty of rainbow trout in the pond (Little Rock Pond off Putnam trail).

Anyone actually come across a bear up close?

Tom
08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
We have three of them in the area - I'm talking back yards, shopping malls, local college campus. I haven't run into one yet, but I sure do look around at night before I go outside. One was spotted just down the road from me.

Ron
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
A frield and I heard a black bear outside the tent one night, way back in the 80s, but didn't see it. We were frozen city kids from NYC, had backpacked up one of the Adirondack trails. I was too scared of bears and cut the trip short. Was supposed to be a week, which could have been because there was plenty of rainbow trout in the pond (Little Rock Pond off Putnam trail).

What makes someone suddenly flash back to 25 years ago?

46zilzal
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Two weeks ago a little one barreled down a path are we frightened him

Ron
08-08-2007, 04:36 PM

So you didn't see it but heard it? It could have been Bigfoot!

"Before we knew it, It was up the bank and standing right in front of us. In the dark, I couldn't see it, but I could tell that it as huge. There was a smell, as well, almost like crossing a dead skunk and deep bog. Nasty. My buddies took off, leaving me, because I was slow to react. I mean, I was scared, but sort of curious too."

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1522

jognlope
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
OH that's fun Ron!

warrant
08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
when i worked up on the tracks in alberta we would see about 2 a day, and when ur alone its pretty scary indeed

scary is the word indeed when ur in the most populated area if grizzlies in north america, thats what they told me

but man are they powerful animals

Tom
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I saw a show on NGEO recently about Grizzlies "murdering" the brown bears in some park area. Literally tore them apart. Chilling stuff.

bigmack
08-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I'd pack into the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana of yesteryear and it was the place that they would release problem griz. First night in around 6000 feet I was setting up camp around a lake and two cubs and a mama mosied around the brush towards my tent. I was unfolding my bag and just ran with it into the freezing cold lake. One of the cubs chewed the bejesus out of my new boots sitting by the tent and my bag was soaking wet. Tough night.

I've since run into many in Alaska though it was never as harowing as the Moose that chased my ass around a lake. Moose be mean. Moose be tall. Me scared of Moose.

jognlope
08-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Oooh that's a nice story.

Tom
08-08-2007, 08:33 PM
You rode a donkey in Alaska? :rolleyes:

Tom
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Two guys go hiking in Alaska. They stop in the outpost and buy bear-proof equipement. The clerk sells them some jingle bells. "These will scare off black bears," he said. He also sold them some pepper spray. "This will drive off black bears." he said.

To know what kind of bear is out there, you have to look at his poop.

A black bear will have remnants of nuts and berries in his poop. A brown bear will have the same nuts and berries, but bird feathers as well.

"What about grizzly bear poop?" one of the hikers asked.
"That will have small bells in it and smell peppery!"

csperberg
08-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Missing Out of Work Bear-Have you seen him?

Theodore H. Bear(Sascha) born 1952 in the Northwoods of Minnesota near a lake of sky blue waters.

Theodore was employed at birth by the Theodore Hamm brewing company St Paul, Mn. The brewing company proudly gave their new bear the breweries founding father's name.

Theodore was part of one of the best marketing campaigns the world has ever seen. He and his northwoods friends made Hamms a household name and was named Minnesota's runner up for the 150 Influential Minnesotans of the Past 150 Years.

Unfortunately the Theodore Hamm Brewing company fell on hard times and the brewery eventually changed ownership a few times over the years. Current owners Miller Brewing feeling the pressure of other companies having to retire their mascots felt it was neccessary to retire Theodore after nearly 50 years of service.

Theodore and his northwoods friends fast found themselves unemployed and down and out in their luck. Theodore fell into a bad depression and had attempted to end his life by going over a waterfall as shown in this undated painting of the attempt.
http://i9.tinypic.com/4ucy3d1.jpg

After a little help from his friends and fans of his work Theodore rebounded from his dark times and soon found work at picture and autograph sessions. Things were looking up for Theodore at this time as evident by this picture taken at one of these.

http://i14.tinypic.com/6gdk8yv.jpg

Problems still managed to find Theodore and soon after his comeback fell off the wagon. There were reports of alcohol and drug abuse and was seen checking in and our of rehabs. He was also reported to have served time in Minnesota for breaking into cabins.

In recent times Theodore was last seen frequenting gentlemens clubs and it is thought that he may be in a motorcycle gang. After a 2002 incident in St Paul were supporters of Theodore unsuccessfully tried to have a statue in his honor errected was shot down Theodore was never seen in the St Paul area again.

The last known reported sighting of Theodore was in the northwoods in Wisconsin at a gentlemen's club were this picture was taken.

http://i18.tinypic.com/623b9mf.jpg

By the look on his face it appears he was in good spirits. Though soon after this picture was taken he disappeared and has not been heard from since.

Rumor has it he may be living in the Ladysmith, Wi area. With so many bears in the area he has been able to avoid detection. We don't know if he is trying to seek a private life in his old age or if he feels he is not wanted by the public anymore.

We encourage anyone with any informaton to come forward. Fans of Theodore H. Bear have ben eagerly waiting word from their friend. Typical Hamm's drinkers still cheers a toast to Theodore H. Bear and give thanks to the many memories he gave us all those years of service.

If you have information you may reward yourself with a 30 pack of Hamm's, paid for of course by you.

Here is some of his work for anyone needing a reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QXNl5YmGTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUA5KWZVjc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIT0Tb5aEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-caPGOSBINU&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYzqrh-_UQ&mode=related&search=

bigmack
08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Those Wisconsin strippers look a bit rougher than the fair found in SD.

A footnote to my Bob Marshall story that I remembered is that the cub chewing on my boot rendered it useless and I had to hike 12 miles out with one boot on and a T-shirt tied around my other foot. If a horse makes a clip/clop sound when it walks mine was more of a clip/squish from the shirt getting wet. :ThmbDown:

jognlope
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
ew

Pace Cap'n
08-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey, Tom, better keep an eye peeled...

700-Pound Grizzly Escapes From Zoo (in Buffalo)

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/08/tech/main3146597.shtml (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/08/tech/main3146597.shtml)

Tom
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

There goes my trip to Fort Erie!

RobinFromIreland
08-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Twice. Both times at Whistler, BC.

My buddy & I stayed in the international hostel situated in woodland about 4km outside Whistler village. We used to walk in and out to town a few times each day along a path. We were warned about the bears and told what to do; back up slowly and quietly. My friend was less than impressed about learning that bear sightings were common. I hoped we'd see one.

One day walking back from town a bear walked straight out in front of us from the woods. He took one look at us, pushed a rather large rock out of his way (quite easily) and continued down to the local golf course. I turned to say "Cool!" to my friend, and discovered that he had dumped his stuff and, frankly, had ran in panic in the opposite direction.

Couple of days later on the way back from white-water rafting, the bus slammed on the brakes when just outside the town. Brown bear had decided to eat a bit of grass beside the road. There were hikers on the road too - including a young Japanese woman with her little girl. Next thing, the toddler burst from her mother's hold and ran towards the bear, arms outstretched with a huge smile on her face - no doubt expecting the cuddly creature to return her hug.

Fortunately, her mother caught her just in time. The bear barely noticed.

BlueShoe
08-10-2007, 08:58 PM
For those of you that are "wildlife facts challenged",there are three species of bears in North America,grizzly,black,and polar.Black bears can be sometimes brown in color,and the brown bear of coastal Alaska is a subspecies of grizzly.In average and maximum size,the grizzly is roughly double the size of black bears,and much more aggressive.The predation acts in the Yellowstone NP ecosystem was by grizzlys on black bears.

Jeff P
08-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I've encountered a black bear before... in AZ... oddly enough... at a place called Bear Canyon Lake.

You reach the parking lot at Bear Canyon Lake by driving a dirt road for about 14 miles after the pavement runs out. Pretty country. Douglas Fir and Aspen trees everywhere. Lots of elk and deer. Once you reach the parking lot there's a trail that descends into the canyon where the lake is located. The AZ Game & Fish Dept stocks the lake with rainbows, brookies, cutthroat, and grayling.

It was a late Sept mid-week afternoon and I had driven up to the lake for an afternoon of flyfishing. Just me and my dog Trapper - then a 10 yr old Irish Setter.

The trail completely encircles the lake. I walked the trail from the parking lot to the south end of the lake where a couple of feeder streams meander into the inlet, a distance of maybe just over a mile. Spent the afternoon flyfishing. Caught and released a handful of fish. Stayed until it started to get dark.

On the way back out Trapper suddenly took an interest in something big snapping branches off in the woods to the side of the trail. Must be a herd of elk I thought to myself as he let out a low growl and went bounding off into the woods. It wouldn't be the first time that dog had gone into the woods chasing elk.

I kept walking the trail.

I made it about 50 yds and there he was, growling, squared off on the trail against a shadowy form standing upright on two legs. I didn't have a flashlight and it was starting to get dark. At first I thought the shadowy form was some idiot who happened to be really big and who for whatever reason happened to be wearing a black parka over several layers of clothes.

"Trapper!" I called out. "Get OVER here!"

He came. When I was serious, he always did.

I didn't realize it was a bear until it dropped down to all fours and followed Trapper back towards me. When Trapper saw it following he turned, growled, and stood his ground. The bear stood up and hissed.

For the next few minutes Trapper and the bear tested each other. One would advance and the other would retreat. Trapper would growl. The bear made hissing noises loud enough that it sounded like compressed air coming out of a hose at a tire store.

After a few minutes of this I realized I had to get my dog out of there. Trapper was tough as nails as far as dogs go. But I didn't want to find out what would happen if the bear got ahold of him.

I slowly advanced and grabbed Trapper by the collar. Then I gradually backed him away. The bear followed and continued to hiss.

At no time did I ever feel like I was in danger. ALL of the bear's attention was focused on the dog. It was as if the bear understood that I wasn't a threat. Looking back now I realize that same bear had probably seen hundreds of hikers pass by on that very same trail. In fact thinking back I'm positive I'd heard the sound of breaking branches before after dark at about the same spot on that trail. That bear had probably seen ME walk by in the dark 7 or 8 times over the past 3 years.

The bear followed as I slowly backed Trapper away. At some point, maybe after I'd gone about 20 yds, the bear stopped following and just stood there on the trail watching us disappear into the night.

Fortunately the trail goes all the way around the lake. Not knowing if the bear was still paying attention or not to the area on the trail where the encounter took place, I decided to go back the long way. It took me almost two hours that night to completely circle the lake in the dark and find the parking lot.

I've seen other bears in the wild before... but that's my only "encounter."

-jp

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
At no time did I ever feel like I was in danger.

You're a better man than me Jeff, that's for sure. I don't know what I would have done if I had a big ol' black bear hissing at me and my dog (and I don't even own a dog! :lol: )

Pace Cap'n
08-11-2007, 03:57 AM
You're a better man than me Jeff, that's for sure. I don't know what I would have done if I had a big ol' black bear hissing at me and my dog (and I don't even own a dog! :lol: )

He be hissing, I be pissing.

BlueShoe
08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Jeff P. and Trapper were fortunate.While most dogs (and wolves) are fast enough and agile enough,and most important,smart enough,to avoid a bears business end,accidents do happen.A bear can kill a dog in seconds if it can get it in his grasp.As an example,an adult male grizzly is so powerful that it can rush up to a wolf pack on a kill,scatter the wolves,and then fight them all off when they counterattack and keep the kill,and there is not much the wolves can do about it.This scenario has been observed a few times by reliable witnesses.

Greyfox
08-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Never ever camp with your dog in a tent. Leave the dog in the car.
Bears have been known to go into tents after dogs.

JustRalph
08-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Was riding with Maine State Troopers while an Air Force Cop in Maine. We got called to a car accident where a lady hit a bear. The Trooper I was with had to shoot the bear who was pretty unhappy after being hit. Nasty Business. He charged out of the ditchline and started chasing us a around a little. He was in no shape to put up a fight though.

Moose are tough ones. While Stationed at Loring Maine we used to have to go out on the runway and herd the Moose off the runway so the B-52's could land. Those old pissed off Males would charge the truck every time. They were some mean old bastards. Saw a few that were hit by cars too. Big as hell.........had a buddy hit one in a triumph...........he was in the hospital for a week.

Jeff P
08-14-2007, 01:00 AM
The bear encounter really didn't have me all that worried...

I used to take that dog everywhere.

There's a place in AZ called Peach Springs. It's just outside the western boundary of the Grand Canyon National Park. Because it's outside the park you can drive a dirt road that takes you to the Colorado River - essentially the bottom of the Grand Canyon but outside the park itself.

I took that dog with me on a weekend camping trip with a large group. Our campsite was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon at Peach Springs. If you've ever hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon or rafted the Colorado through it you know how powerful the rapids and the current can be. In fact the place where the dirt road meets the Colorado near Peach Springs is a popular pick up point for rafters who have navigated the Canyon.

Trapper loved water - ANY water. There was a large cove near our campsite where the water was calm. So long as Trapper swam in the cove I figured he'd be fine.

The thing about Irish Setters is they are headstrong. Unless they are in a fenced yard or on a leash they pretty much do whatever they want wherever they feel like doing it. Trapper's curious nature soon found him swimming out into the river itself.

The current swept him away in an instant.

So there I was, running along the shore, scurrying over boulders the size of cars, trying to keep up with my dog who was on the fast track to lake Mead some 75 miles downstream. It took me about 10 minutes of moving as fast as I could before I was far enough ahead of him to where I was able to coax him to swim DIAGONALLY towards me rather than directly against the current. Trapper finally managed to get to where I was able to grab his collar and haul him out of the river.

Then I collapsed exhausted to the ground... almost a full mile from the campsite.

I had that dog from the time he was a puppy. He lived to the ripe old age of 14. That swim in the Colorado was the only time I really thought I was going to lose him.

-jp

jognlope
08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
OMG I'm glad Trapper came out okay, and you!