PDA

View Full Version : Ten Days at 10 % Starts At LRL Friday

trigger
08-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Plus 2-for-1 draft beers on twilight days!!

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=8756

pandy
08-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Now that's a good deal.

cj's dad
08-08-2007, 11:28 AM
For you turf lovers, 5 of the 9 races on the card are "scheduled" on the grass and all have (for Md. Racing) decent sized fields. Of course, if we get a few minutes of rain at any time on Friday, all turf racing will most likely be cancelled. Unfortunately, I am serious. :bang:

To the credit of the Md. Jockey Club, they are advertising locally, Baltimore and D.C., the 10% take-out (most casual fans have no clue what they are referring to) and the beer and food specials in addition to the late afternoon (3:30, I believe) starting time. :)

A good showing by the players would help the cause of lower take-outs nationwide although as a registered cynic I am not holding out any serious hope of this taking place, but then again you gotta start somewhere.:ThmbUp:

DanG
08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
For you turf lovers, 5 of the 9 races on the card are "scheduled" on the grass and all have (for Md. Racing) decent sized fields. Of course, if we get a few minutes of rain at any time on Friday, all turf racing will most likely be cancelled. Unfortunately, I am serious. :bang:

To the credit of the Md. Jockey Club, they are advertising locally, Baltimore and D.C., the 10% take-out (most casual fans have no clue what they are referring to) and the beer and food specials in addition to the late afternoon (3:30, I believe) starting time. :)

A good showing by the players would help the cause of lower take-outs nationwide although as a registered cynic I am not holding out any serious hope of this taking place, but then again you gotta start somewhere.:ThmbUp:
Good post 'Pappa CJ and thread 'Trigger; :ThmbUp:

IMHO…No excuse if you love this game and gamble not to throw at least a few bucks at any real reduction in takeout. Even if you don’t necessarily follow the circuit a few token conservative wagers seeking to trade some money will only help in the long term.

Obviously any short term experiment doesn’t give the reduction a chance to accomplish the #1 benefit of reduced takeout which is the“churn”. But; we are thrown so few bones (outside of the PTC domestically) that we need to pounce on them as we can.

trigger
08-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Plus 2-for-1 draft beers on twilight days!!

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=8756

I wonder if the brewskis can be bought via simulcast:)

SMOO
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Good post 'Pappa CJ and thread 'Trigger; :ThmbUp:

IMHO…No excuse if you love this game and gamble not to throw at least a few bucks at any real reduction in takeout. Even if you don’t necessarily follow the circuit a few token conservative wagers seeking to trade some money will only help in the long term.

Obviously any short term experiment doesn’t give the reduction a chance to accomplish the #1 benefit of reduced takeout which is the“churn”. But; we are thrown so few bones (outside of the PTC domestically) that we need to pounce on them as we can.

:ThmbUp:

trigger
08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Beyer on Laurel's Takeout reduction:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/08/AR2007080802114.html

BIG49010
08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Finally some progressive thinking in the game, instead of slots, slots, slots ...

when they strikeout with slots, what will they want next prostitution?

trigger
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Finally some progressive thinking in the game, instead of slots, slots, slots ...

when they strikeout with slots, what will they want next prostitution?

Not a bad idea for those lulls between races:jump:

trigger
08-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Not a bad idea for those lulls between races:jump:

And, I'd bet it would increase on-track attendence....not so sure about handle though.:)

trigger
08-09-2007, 07:23 PM
And, I'd bet it would increase on-track attendence....not so sure about handle though.:)

But, one good thing, you'd be able to get lucky once in a while.;):jump:

Indulto
08-09-2007, 09:04 PM
And, I'd bet it would increase on-track attendence....not so sure about handle though.:)I'm sure they'd get all they could handle ;) But Equibase might not report the fondle total. :lol:

BTW trig, I'm glad somebody else here is talking to themself. :D

Edward DeVere
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Of course, if we get a few minutes of rain at any time on Friday, all turf racing will most likely be cancelled. Unfortunately, I am serious. :bang:

Fortunately, you are seriously wrong. Since Stronach spent a fortune to replace the turf track, it is much wider (meaning the rails can be shifted) and MUCH more accepting of rain. The course now has a TERRIFIC drainage system.

Plus, this is only a two-week meet, with two weeks of rest afterwards while racing shifts to The Big T.

Plus, bettors are far more likely to bet Maryland turf racing than Maryland dirt racing. (The fields are much larger and far more competitive.)

The races COULD come off the turf Friday, as there is a chance of a LOT of rain. But it would have to be a LOT.

cj's dad
08-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Laurel & Pimlico have long had a history of taking races off the grass for little rain. Maybe that has changed lately; I live in Md. but rarely do I bet the Md. circuit.
Too many "games' played IMO.

jma
08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Fortunately, you are seriously wrong. Since Stronach spent a fortune to replace the turf track, it is much wider (meaning the rails can be shifted) and MUCH more accepting of rain. The course now has a TERRIFIC drainage system.

Plus, this is only a two-week meet, with two weeks of rest afterwards while racing shifts to The Big T.

Plus, bettors are far more likely to bet Maryland turf racing than Maryland dirt racing. (The fields are much larger and far more competitive.)

The races COULD come off the turf Friday, as there is a chance of a LOT of rain. But it would have to be a LOT.

I think this is the situation now. One of the reasons Laurel had such a successful fall meet was their new turf course that enabled more turf races with big fields and boosted their handle. It's probably the one thing they had going for them before the takeout drop. Too bad it's only a 10-day meet, as I don't know how many people who don't usually bet Laurel will try to "learn" it for such a short meet. I'll throw a few bucks my way if I can though. :)

rrbauer
08-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Well they start the meet by moving all turf races to the main.

You would think with a 10-day meet that they could work to keep
the races on the turf and move the rails if it gets chewed up some.

Before they had the poly Keeneland seldom took races off the turf.
Mainly because they race for 4 weeks and theiy're dark for 6 months.
This spring they took a couple races off the turf primarily because
they have the all-weather surface as backup. Don't recall how
many scratched when they moved those races but I don't think very
many scratched.

cj's dad
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM

No rain - OFF THE TURF :lol:

Tom
08-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I heard a guy spilled a beer in the grandstand.

Zaf
08-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I heard a guy spilled a beer in the grandstand.

:lol:

cj
08-11-2007, 01:35 AM
What say you now Edward?

Edward DeVere
08-11-2007, 11:35 PM
What say you now Edward?

I say to you what I said privately and on several other posts.

1.) The track took a heavy rain for 30 minutes or so Thursday afternoon for 30 minutes or so. I'm sorry you were unaware that it could rain in Laurel and not rain in Baltimore, but that IS the situation.

2.) It rained again Thursday night in Laurel, but I don't know for how long or how hard.

3.) As I have written you privately, based on the rainfall Thursday AFTERNOON, I believed that Friday's races would still be on the turf. Since I don't know how much rain fell on the track Thursday NIGHT, I don't know how that affected Laurel's decision to come off the turf on Friday.

4.) I would note that my initial response on this thread mentioned that the races COULD COME OFF THE TURF, as there was a possibility of getting a LOT of rain.

5.) If Laurel only got 30 minutes of hard rain Thursday afternoon, then you were right and I was wrong - as I have written you privately. If, however, the track also got significant rain Thursday night, then I refer you to #4 above.

Note: You can go to www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com) and watch storms come together and break apart to your heart's content. I regret to say that I have personally done this way too often.

Zaf
08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
CJ,

No avatar ?

Qu'est qui passe ? KARL te derange ?

Ton Pal

Z