PDA

View Full Version : All those that had the Yankees dead and buried in May....

PaceAdvantage
08-08-2007, 03:20 AM
....must hate to read headlines like this:

Angels win has Red Sox looking over shoulder to Yankees (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/08/sports/NA-SPT-BBL-AL-Roundup.php)
International Herald Tribune - 53 minutes ago
AP ANAHEIM, California: Gary Matthews Jr. drove in four runs and Los Angeles beat a faltering Boston 10-4 on Tuesday. Boston knuckleballer Tim Wakefield (13-10) allowed seven runs - six earned - in four-plus innings for Boston, which saw its lead in ...

Bubbles
08-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Not quite. I'm an Angels fan, and we own you guys, too. :)

Dave Schwartz
08-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes!

I had given up reaing the standings when our Yankees were 7.5 games out last month. I figured we'd have a hard time making the wild card slot.

Then, last week I was having lunch and a guy at the next table had a Yankee hat on. We talked and he told me, "Hey, we're only 4-back now!"

DanG
08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Lesson learned…

Next time anyone buries a team early in baseball check the schedule for upcoming Royal / Devil Ray games. :eek:

Regardless of who you root for lets hope they narrow it down to < 5 by months end when the Red Sox come to the Bronx. Consistently as good a regular season match up as our nation has IMHO. :ThmbUp:

rgustafson
08-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Don't really have a cheering interest for either team, but wouldn't mind seeing the Bosox pull an elfoldo just because of some of the idiotic comments that were made earlier with the season less than one quarter over.

GaryG
08-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Don't really have a cheering interest for either team, but wouldn't mind seeing the Bosox pull an elfoldo just because of some of the idiotic comments that were made earlier with the season less than one quarter over.Yes...all of this bravado concerning a team that has folded (choked?) many, many times. I am ready fot the Boston Massacre Part Trois.

Tom
08-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Bucky Dent is working out daily. Jogging, weight lifting, swinging.......

GaryG
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Yanks should get him to throw out the first ball the next time they play..

Ron
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't think ANY Red Sox fans left them for dead...we're all too familiar with this.

Tom
08-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Did you ever see the comedy special hosted by Dennis Leary - in Boston - with Bucky as a guest? I loved the way he introduced Bucky - using his "middle" name, the one Boston gave him. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Of course, the very next game after I post this thead, the Yankees get thrashed....:lol:

Ron
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_NYY_mirror_5_bdd.jpg

Actually 6 games now....

BIG RED
08-13-2007, 01:30 AM
:sleeping:

JustRalph
08-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Bucky got canned by the Reds last month...............

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070703/SPT04/307030028/-1/CINCI

check out Buckster...........put on a few pounds?

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20070703&Category=SPT04&ArtNo=307030028&Ref=AR&MaxW=315&border=1

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2007, 02:59 AM
:sleeping:

Still sleeping well I see....that's good....we're still 4 games back....I can understand why you might still be comfortable....:lol:

Ron
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Its time for the Red Sox to go for the jugular!!!

njcurveball
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Who injected Mussina's arm with lead?

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Jo-ba....Jo-ba.....Jo-ba.....

Bubbles
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Se-ven, se-ven, se-ven...

OTM Al
08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
The division win is not going to happen, but they have a very very good chance to take the wildcard. Seattle has a murderous schedule coming up and despite letting them back in the door, the Tigers have some serious problems. Of course they will probably get the Angels in the first round, so the playoffs will likely end quickly, but to even have gotten there after that miserable start would be quite an achievement. Besides that, it looks like the Yanks are really set up for some strong years coming up as they are going to get much younger very quickly.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Ro-ger, Ro-ger, Ro-ger....or, as they used to say in Boston, Rah-jah, Rah-jah, Rah-jah

Ron
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Back up to 7.

OTM Al
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
The division race is over. The wild card is there for the taking though. You just have to get in. Cards proved it last year. Still like the Angels in the AL though. Wavering between Pads and Mets in the NL, but leaning toward the west.

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Back up to 7.

Yeah, but the team in front by 7 last won the World Series via the Wild Card....something to think about...

njcurveball
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM
the Yankees have a BIG advantage if they make the Wild Card. They do not have to face the Sox in the first round.

That basically means they are playing either Cleveland or the Angels. It also means the Sox are playing one of those teams as well. And the point is that winning the division is not a really big advantage. Especially when the wild card team comes from the same division and you do not get to face the team with the worst record.

So right now the Yanks biggest concern is just staying ahead of Seattle and Detroit and in doing that, hopefully they can rest some key people to have the team fresh for the PLAYOFFS!

One more game at home might be an advantage in the next series, but the Wild Card team has done exceptionally well in this decade.

Arod stepped up BIG TIME tonight and if anyone questions his effort this year, they really have not watched.

In a perfect world, the Sox play the Angels eliminating one of the teams that can give the Yanks some real trouble.

Then the Sox and Yanks play a barn burner with Derek Jeter hitting a walk off in game 7 to go to the Series. :ThmbUp:

Now where are the people who buried them in May?

GaryG
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Now where are the people who buried them in May?The worst of the lot was banished to Philly.

DanG
09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
One more game at home might be an advantage in the next series, but the Wild Card team has done exceptionally well in this decade.

This is the key…

162 games of fighting your butt off and your reward for winning the division is “1” additional home game?

Ridiculous!!! :bang:

Your reward for making the wild card should be “1” home game, period.

5 game series: 2 /1 /2
7 game series: 3 /1 /3
Far too little reward for winning the division IMHO.

Having said that…I was one of those sticks in the mud who HATED the wild card when it was proposed…and now love it!!! :blush: :jump:

njcurveball
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Dan,

Great points! I would go one further and say have TWO Wild Card teams make it and then have them play a ONE game playoff to decide who moves on.

This creates excitement for the playoffs and it also gives the Division winners an edge since the wild card team will now have used pitching to win.

I don't think MLB will go for the one home game, since the revenue involved hurts the club more than the players. But having two wild cards knock heads in a loser go home format makes for great baseball.

And as you said, after 162 games Boston will have the best record and will not even get the advantage of facing the team with the worst record.

Jim

DanG
09-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I would go one further and say have TWO Wild Card teams make it and then have them play a ONE game playoff to decide who moves on.

Excellent idea Jim!

Best record gets the home sudden death game. :ThmbUp:

GaryG
09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
In the NFL the wild card never gets a home game. Sounds good to me....except when the Yanks are involved, then the rules are different. GO YANKS! :jump: :jump:

harnesslover
09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
the Yankees have a BIG advantage if they make the Wild Card. They do not have to face the Sox in the first round.

Now where are the people who buried them in May?
I think whoever has to play the Angels has a BIG disadvantage. I don't see anyone beating them.

harnesslover
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Dan,

Great points! I would go one further and say have TWO Wild Card teams make it and then have them play a ONE game playoff to decide who moves on.

This creates excitement for the playoffs and it also gives the Division winners an edge since the wild card team will now have used pitching to win.

I don't think MLB will go for the one home game, since the revenue involved hurts the club more than the players. But having two wild cards knock heads in a loser go home format makes for great baseball.

And as you said, after 162 games Boston will have the best record and will not even get the advantage of facing the team with the worst record.

Jim

I don't think the wild card team should have such a distinct disadvantage, mainly for one reason. They may actually be the 2nd best team in the league, but stuck in a division with a killer team. That's where I think the wild card is a good thing. If you win, let's say, 94 games and your division winner wins 97 games, it would be unfortunate to get shut out of the playoffs if the other division winners won 88 and 90 games, respectively.

OTM Al
09-06-2007, 08:28 PM
The one game 2 wildcard team thing I think is a great idea and has been floating for a while. Have to throw your best pitcher available and then travel after winning to play the next day. After that though all should carry through as currently. Remember when the Home Field advantage in the championship series was getting the first 2 at home but then having to play the last 3 on the road? Cubs fans sure do.

Also, Boston may well be playing the team with the worst record after all is said and done or they might not even be the team with the best record. Still plenty of games to go.