PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Diary | Aug 7th | HorseRaceInsider

HRInsider
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hall of Fame All In The Family

Saratoga Springs, NY--August, 6, 2007

Dear Diary,

On the Saratoga backstretch Saturday morning, Hall of Fame trainer Tommy Kelly was saying, as he recalled friendships past, how every day in Saratoga’s a good day.

That’s before he needled “the only thing [Johnny] Sellers ever did for me was get me beat a neck in the Preakness.”

Kelly didn’t mention that he would be the one welcoming Sellers to the ranks of racing immortals at the annual Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

When Kelly stepped up to the podium, there was no irreverent jocularity this time, only praise for Sellers‘ talent and class.

“I was going over to congratulate him for winning the Preakness when he congratulated me on how good Globemaster ran, how [Carry Back] had to run hard to beat him.

“Imagine him congratulating me for running second?”

Sellers stepped into his Hall of Fame jacket and thought it was pretty good that a country boy from Oklahoma could get one of these.

“[When I went East to ride], I was told I would be acquiring a new family. It’s incredible how close we all are,” said told the audience.

“Anywhere I went in the world, and I rode in England, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan, they knew me as being part of the industry. We’re all one.

“Well I’m in a new family now, the Hall of Fame.

“I once was told that you’ll make a lot of acquaintances in the business but the number of real friends you can count on one hand. But when the announcement was made, I got so many calls from so many people.

“I’ve got to say I don’t have enough hands to count my friends.”

And then, choking with emotion, Sellers told the crowd “I love you all.”

Sellers is right about the one big family thing about racing.

That feeling was palpable in the pavilion where, in a few more hours, yearlings would be led into a sales ring and purchased by buyers hoping to return someday for ceremonies just like this one.

After a welcome from President Stella Thayer and Nominating Committee Chairman Edward Bowen, keynote speaker Rick Pitino was talking about the difference between racing and basketball. “If you win at thirty percent in basketball you‘ll lose your job. In racing at thirty percent you‘re doing great.

“[Success is built] on dedication and work ethic. You have it. We get days off. You don’t. I’m in awe [of what you do].” Then, addressing the front run of inductees, the coach said “you’re all a part of history now. Your work will always be treasured.”

Author Bill Nack welcomed the late Frank McCabe into the Hall, telling all about how McCabe “seized the moment” and trained the “greatest female racehorse of the 19th century,” Miss Woodford.

Then he told them about McCabe’s three straight Belmonts and how he would later train the juveniles Hanover and Tremont; getting the former to win 17 straight races, and the latter to race nine times in one month.

“He should be in the Hall of Fame just for keeping Tremont’s head in the feed-tub for a month. His moment is long overdue.”

And there was Ed Gray, former racing writer of the Boston Herald, saying it was “an honor and a privilege worthy of the respect and affection I have for Mom’s Command’s connections,” Peter Fuller, the filly’s owner and breeder, and of the girl, now the woman, who rode her, Fuller’s daughter Abigail Fuller-Catalano.

“I saw my first race when I was nine years old watching [her father’s] Dancer’s Image win the Kentucky Derby. [Jockey] Bob Ussery was my hero, and that’s all I ever wanted to do from that moment on.”

And, so, Abigail eventually would ride the filly that broke its maiden in a stakes race at Rockingham Park at 55-1 with another rider, entered in that race because Fuller had her brother in a sale two weeks hence and hoped to put some black type in the yearling catalogue.

Fuller’s victories aboard Mom’s Command came in, among other races, New York‘s Filly Triple Crown series, and her career ending victory in Saratoga’s storied Alabama.

“It’s a short jog across Union Avenue from the racetrack to the Hall of Fame,” said Gray, “and as fast as Mom’s Command was, it took her 22 years to get here.”

Jose Santos added his brand of warmth and class to the proceedings, thanking trainer Phil Sims for giving him “my push,” to Leroy Jolley, who put Santos on “the best horse I ever rode,“ Manila, to Scotty Schulhofer and [his son] Randy, who “I love with all my heart,” to The Chief, Allen Jerkens, who “was always there for me when things got tough,” and Barclay [Tagg], “who put me on my first Derby winner.”

Santos wasn’t done.

“I want to thank all my agents. I went through a lot of them, this business is tough business, up and down..

“I came to America [from Chile] to chase a dream. My daddy taught me everything I know and I dedicate this to him.”

Henry Forrest entered the Hall on the backs of two Kentucky Derby winners, Kauai King and Forward Pass (via disqualification) and who, until his death, held the record for most victories at Churchill Downs and Keeneland as trainer for the Calumet and Claiborne nurseries.

And the induction of two more Hall of Fame runners, Silver Charm and old-timer Swoon’s Son. The contemporary horse was a Double Crown winner, of course, parlayed the Strub into the Dubai World Cup at 4 and won his 11th stakes before his retirement at age 5.

“The one thing this horse taught me was patience,” said his Hall of Fame rider, Gary Stevens, who presented the Hall of Fame plaque to owner Beverly Lewis and her late husband, Bob. “He’d rather wait until the last minute and stick his nose out and win at the wire,” said the co-owner.

But fans have to love Swoon’s Son, a 30-time winner in 51 career starts, 22 of them stakes, often carrying the grandstand, as old school racetrackers would say. While he never won a Triple Crown race, he beat the Derby and Preakness winner and, at 5, beat Horse of the Year Round Table.

And it was a different time then, as regular rider Dave Erb reminded the attendees, saying how Swoon’s Son was “awarded” 129 pounds for the Equipoise Mile.

It was a reminder of a time back in the day when no one ducked another man’s horse or a conscientious racing secretary. High weights weren’t a punishment; they were an honor.

Finally, John Veitch, celebrated trainer of Alydar, who would tell you in hushed tones that the great filly Davona Dale was the best horse he ever trained, reminded all about their great responsibility to the thoroughbred.

“We have a duty,“ said Veitch. “There are some individuals in our sport who will put self before the horse. But for every one of them there are tens, no, hundreds, who will do their duty.”

Veitch was the first horseman I can remember that warned everyone about the dangers of breeding for the sales ring instead of the racetrack.

Finally, Thayer ended the ceremonies by presenting Martha Gerry, owner of Hall of Famer Forego, with the Exemplar of Racing award, who said, “It has been my pleasure and honor to work with racing in any way, because I love it.”

And isn’t that what families are supposed to be about?

Analysis provided by John Pricci | HorseRaceInsider

Pace Cap'n
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Great, great post. Thanks.