PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Horse Racing

betovernetcapper
08-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't know if I've mentioned it but I've stopped playing certain tracks.

Some of the tracks I've been playing recently have some QH races in addition to thoroughbreds. Last week there was a QH race sandwiched between two TB races I had solid opinions on. If I'd known anything about QHs I might have hit a pic3. This has got me to thinking about adding QHs to my arsenal.

Anyone have any opinions on handicapping QHs?
Is there a QH equivalent to Quirin's Winning at the Races?
Thanks in advance for da facts on QHs. :)

statik27
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I've capped the QH a bit a LosAl. The Best thing is to watch as many races as you can, and use trip angles heavily. The other thing is to follow the public money, Fav's hit at a higher rate in QH races then the T-Breds, might be close to 40% (Several price player's just passed out after reading that lol), I'd say the top 3 betting choice have the winner in them at a much much higher rate in QH racing then most other forms of racing. Thus the reason why I don't play them that much, you just can't hit a big ticket as often.

statik

ceejay
08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
My QH angle, in the mid-south circuit, is simple. Aw or Clm races just divide $ earned by starts in most recent year. Works well.

46zilzal
08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
From years of attending the q's, you have to handicap the break. A dream situation is to have a quick breaker between two slow breakers. Result?: a clean move from the gate without all the bumping that plagues many a q-horse race.

witchdoctor
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Carroll's book and software gives you an idea about speed ratings for QH that are pretty good.

www.desertsea.com

Also you can find a few articles on handicapping QH at AQHA.com

46Z angle is a good one. Also Jimmy Bradshaw told that horses that lost ground from the stretch to the finish are bad bets back.

46zilzal
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Carroll's book and software gives you an idea about speed ratings for QH that are pretty good.

www.desertsea.com

One of the very very few completely ORIGINAL ideas out there today. I highly recommend it.

Tom
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Ken Massa posted a Q Horse method in the library of his website - free.
I've used it with success at LA before. Also, there are a lot of good articles on handicapping Q's at the ASQH website.

betovernetcapper
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Thank you guys so much-Ordered a copy of Carroll's book ($5 used)-downloaded and printed the HTR QH system and have put the AQHA web site in my favorites list. I think this is going to be fun. :)

boomman
08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
From years of attending the q's, you have to handicap the break. A dream situation is to have a quick breaker between two slow breakers. Result?: a clean move from the gate without all the bumping that plagues many a q-horse race.

zilzal: From 30 years of handicapping quarter horses I have always found the break to be the most reliable handicapping factor, especially when describing the situation above. If a quarter horse has good early speed and can break clear, he always has the chance to win at almost any class level, and that factor has resulted in catching some big price horses, as most quarter horse players "zero in" on speed ratings or class..........

Boomer