PDA

View Full Version : Bonds--His Other (Mechanical) Advantage

Pace Cap'n
08-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Beyond his alleged steroid use, Barry Bonds is guilty of the use of something that confers extraordinarily unfair mechanical advantage: the “armor” that he wears on his right elbow. Amid the press frenzy over Bonds’ unnatural bulk, the true role of the object on his right arm has simply gone unnoticed.

As a student of baseball – and currently a mechanics consultant to a major league baseball team -- I believe I have insight into the Bonds "achievement." I have studied his swing countless times on video and examined the mechanical gear closely through photographs.

www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003621797 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003621797)

toetoe
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Now THAT'S at least plausible. The chemicals argument never did it for me.

kenwoodallpromos
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
There is only 1 problem with this jackass theory- If true, Bonds would be getting hit by pitches more than the average -player, which he does not, and Bond does not swing at outside pitches off the plate. As far as being a bigger advantage than a corked bat and his theories involving the diffenent effects of the various changes in the gear, he would need to show proof that the hitting changes as much a claimed and more so than a corked bat.
This is just another weak excuse to "taint" the record.
Even the Hall Of Fame is getting into the act of being jackasses about the steroid accusations- that is why they are collecting Bonds' helmets when the record home runs are hit.

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds’ front arm “armor” may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.

I WISH Derek Jeter would get one of these things! He gets hit every other game it seems and his power numbers are down. Heck, why doesn't Steinbrenner buy them for the whole team!

NO wonder everyone is walking Bonds. He has magic armor. :jump:

Wiley
08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I WISH Derek Jeter would get one of these things!
Per the article this device's use is not allowed, Bonds can still use it via a grandfather clause. A few years ago an old timer commented on Bond's armor as an advantage on inside pitches and how it is too bad the way he crowds the plate that he did not play in the Gibson/Drysdale era.

To me it comes down to public perception of the guy, press hates him and he hates the press so the majority of articles are negative, think Rick Reily at SI, if he came across as a decent guy and fessed up to the juice, the public would forgive him and be more celebratory in his run, it wasn't illegal till recently and others including pitchers used the advantage at the same time.

I think Bonds run now would be similar to a guy like Ty Cobb making a run at the home run title, because in his era by all accounts he was viewed as a similar type pariah as Bonds is today both by fans and press.

As a youngster when Aaron and Mays were making their runs at Ruth in the late 60's and early 70's, I was a huge Mays fan and wanted him to get it and was disappointed Aaron got there and Mays did not. Aaron came across as such a great guy though I was glued to the tube to see 715. As far as Bonds run, I avoid it as much as possible. Just my take.

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Per baseball rules ANYONE can use the same device as Bonds. It would be pretty easy to get a Doctor's note these days.

Protective Elbow Pads

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association agreed to standardize the elbow protective equipment a player may use for all major league games, including spring training games. The following regulations apply to elbow protection:
No player is permitted to wear an elbow protection pad that exceeds 10 inches in length, as measured when the pad is lying flat.
A nylon pad shall surround the shell of any elbow protection equipment.
A manufacturer's logo on the protection pad may appear in one location and shall not exceed one square inch.
No player may wear a non-standard elbow protection pad, or any pad designed to protect the upper or lower arm, unless the player has an existing elbow or other arm injury and the Club had obtained the prior approval of the Commissioner's Office to wear that particular non-standard equipment. To obtain such prior approval, the Club will be requested to provide the following:

A letter identifying the player and describing the nature of the injury and describing the proposed elbow protection pad;
A physician's report diagnosing the injury; and
A physician's estimate of length of time the protective pad will be necessary.

Wiley
08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
So can Bonds wear his pads because of a pre existing condition, per medical approval as you posted in this rule or is the author correct in the grandfathering? If the former I am sure the request to the league by the Giants reads something like Barry will need to use his non standard elbow pad until retirement - reason: he is Barry Bonds and everyone is afraid of making him mad! :)

I don't doubt MLB is afraid to enforce anything against Bonds if the author of the posted article is incorrect and your posted rule applies, the same I see that pitchers look to be afraid of Barry at the plate and never pitch him inside - he is quite an imposing figure who you would not want charging the mound.

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
You ask a great question Wiley.

My thinking is that the rule was changed to 10 inches and if you were Grandfathered in, you could use the old style which was bigger.

Still makes sense for a hitter to use one if it aids their power to the point of getting an extra 75 to 100 homers in a 5 or 6 year span!

Of course now those same people who discredit Bonds will have to take a few hundred hits away from Craig Biggio for wearing one and explain how Mo Vaughn couldn't stay in the game as well.

Also doesn't explain why other owners don't make him prove this medical condition all the time if it were this big of an advantage.

Remember this is the same game that barred a person because of his size!

Tom
08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Bonds is grandfathered on his particular bionic elbow. (We can break the record...we have the technology.)
Fascinating article.

If drugs and mechanics can make a player a superstar, wouldn't you think they could come with a jock itch powder that would work? Spitting and scratching seem to be institutionalized in MLB.:rolleyes: