PDA

View Full Version : Serious kickback at Dmr

toetoe
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Closers at Dmr are getting a faceful of wax. :eek:

Zoocapper
08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Look at the pace times. They are really slowing things down on the front end.

DJofSD
08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I've asked a couple of people including Joe Takach about the kickback. No one seems concerned about it or feels it is a cause for concern. I've been told it isn't any different for the horses.

JimmyQ
08-07-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't think the closers aren't closing well b/c of kickback or b/c of slow fractions...they aren't closing b/c that stretch drive is soooo slow....in my opinion you have to take your horse off the rail into the middle of the track and you better be sitting within 3-4 lengths of the lead unless you have a superior horse. You don't want to be a front runner or a closer....stalkers should be superior on this del mar surface

JimmyQ

Ray
08-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I don't think the closers aren't closing well b/c of kickback or b/c of slow fractions...they aren't closing b/c that stretch drive is soooo slow....in my opinion you have to take your horse off the rail into the middle of the track and you better be sitting within 3-4 lengths of the lead unless you have a superior horse. You don't want to be a front runner or a closer....stalkers should be superior on this del mar surface

JimmyQ

think you are right but the last race today the horse where really wide and the winner came up the inside cuz they over did it if i remember correctly that horse was still in the 3 or 4 path so i guess its still away from the rail

boomman
08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I've asked a couple of people including Joe Takach about the kickback. No one seems concerned about it or feels it is a cause for concern. I've been told it isn't any different for the horses.

DJ: The fact of the matter is that no one really knows whether this stuff is toxic or not. Poly wants you to think it isn't because its another selling point for cushion track which doesn't have nearly the "kickback". If testing in the future determines that indeed this junk is toxic, they will have a major problem on their hands!:confused:

Boomer

DJofSD
08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
boomman -- you're right. In the future there could very well be some unintended consequences regarding the health of the horses and the people.

My comment was meant to be just about the horses running over the surface and not about any long term issues.

statik27
08-07-2007, 12:11 PM
After Opening day at DMR I had to sit on my hands for a week and re-work several angles. Lately I've been focusing on two angles epecially.

1: Post-Position and Pace- Stalkers from the outside have been deadly the last week.

2: Pedigree- I've been forming a list of likely Poly/synthetic sires with a certain profile that have been producing winners on the poly-track. Surprisingly California has most of the top rated sires. These sires are horses that have strong/mostly turf influenced pedigree's, but had most of their own big wins on the dirt ie In Excess, Lit De Justice, Skimming etc.

statik

DJofSD
08-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a pet theory. I'm not saying it is right, reasonable or even supportable -- it is just something that occured to me.

So, here it is: the DMR all weather surface does not offer the same lateral resistance as a normal dirt surface. It has a tendency to allow for more "slipage" sideways. Part of the thesis has to do with the observation that horses winning are those not on the rail or are swung out when entering the stretch. They have to cover more ground, yes, but they can also run a better race, gaining momentum sooner when coming to the top of the stretch.

I'd love to be able to get a hold of the Trakkus data -- the continous information not just the for the traditional calls -- to be able to analyze it to see if the data supports the idea.