PDA

View Full Version : Past Posting

cj's dad
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Often site visitors have remarked about the odds changing as the field is on the move. I understand that money is coming in from all over the country and there are delays in assessing final odds. This is particularly confusing to new players.

Yesterday @ Laurel Park I watched a player post break and 5-10 seconds into the race submit his bet and receive a ticket (from Machine of course). I assume he was making sure his selection broke well prior to pushing the submit button. And yes it was a bet on the race that had just gone off (Calder) as I was behind him and slightly off to the side and clearly saw his proposed wager.

Going to track management was fruitless as no-one seemed to know what I was talking about or just didn't care. I wonder if this is an isolated incident.
Has anyone ever tried this?? I Plan to call the Md. jockey club and report this!!

GameTheory
08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Often site visitors have remarked about the odds changing as the field is on the move. I understand that money is coming in from all over the country and there are delays in assessing final odds. This is particularly confusing to new players.

Yesterday @ Laurel Park I watched a player post break and 5-10 seconds into the race submit his bet and receive a ticket (from Machine of course). I assume he was making sure his selection broke well prior to pushing the submit button. And yes it was a bet on the race that had just gone off (Calder) as I was behind him and slightly off to the side and clearly saw his proposed wager.

Going to track management was fruitless as no-one seemed to know what I was talking about or just didn't care. I wonder if this is an isolated incident.
Has anyone ever tried this?? I Plan to call the Md. jockey club and report this!!Must be nice to find those machines. I've been shut out plenty of times just as the race started -- never had an extra second...

chickenhead
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
I've cancelled bets several seconds after the race has started here in CA. It amounts to roughly the same thing as betting late.

Ron
08-06-2007, 12:12 PM
I've never had any luck with this, although I've tried many times.

I did notice at Saratoga now at the betting windows there is some kind of noise letting people standing in line that betting is about to close.

1st time lasix
08-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Calder is the absolute worst when he comes to front runners getting a clean break and then have the odds decline in the next thirty seconds. I stopped playing at that track because of it!

BillW
08-06-2007, 02:17 PM

I did notice at Saratoga now at the betting windows there is some kind of noise letting people standing in line that betting is about to close.

That noise is me groaning as I stand behind some guy deciding who to box on his superfecta ticket @ 30 secs. to post. :eek:

CapperLou
08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Calder is the absolute worst when he comes to front runners getting a clean break and then have the odds decline in the next thirty seconds. I stopped playing at that track because of it!

Yes; it seems incredible how often it happens at CRC over the last few years. I've seen many I played which were 3-6 to 1 drop so much you just knew someone was "doing business" on track or pp simulcast wagers.

There is a lot of junk going on today with this and cocktails for horses and at many circuits no one in charge seems to care. It's all about the handle Sir, just the bottom line--it's always about money--everything is about money!!!

CapperLou

SMOO
08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
That noise is me groaning as I stand behind some guy deciding who to box on his superfecta ticket @ 30 secs. to post. :eek:

My favorite is the guy punching away furiously for a seemingly endless time but when I peek at his total it's still showing no confirmed bets. :bang:

jma
08-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Me neither---I'm hoping someday I find one of those machines. I'll report it to management...eventually... :)

Kelso
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I've cancelled bets several seconds after the race has started here in CA. It amounts to roughly the same thing as betting late.

I was surprised that AGS went off so cheap in the Haskell. Was wondering if his or HS's odds changed notably after HS stumbled at the break.

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2007, 02:15 AM
The opposite tends to happen to me....even when watching the "live" OTB feed on cable, I will be shut out before the gates even open! Probably a .5 to 1 second delay with the cable tv feed in effect there....

The ADWs have it down to a science when to lock the "machines" I wonder why certain tracks can't do the same?

Ray
08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
I was surprised that AGS went off so cheap in the Haskell. Was wondering if his or HS's odds changed notably after HS stumbled at the break.
nope he dropped to that price as the 1st horse loaded in fact his odds really started to decline about 4 min to post and it just got ugly after that . i think the word was out on this horse and his price got pounded accordingly.. the late odds dropps really pisses me off to no end .. today at MNR a race i was not playing the chalk sat at 5/2 then 2/1 then 5/2 as the horses loaded he was 2-1 with about 3 to load when they removed the odds when the race started he broke slow and his price was 2-1 . he took the lead into the stretch and tired and got beat right on the line at 4/5. fukking nuts. the horse was pretty.i playable at 5/2 then halfway thru the race he is bet down to hell. this mostly happens at the smaller handle tracks it pretty safe at del mar or any so cal track along with nyra. so if this bugs you stay with the bigger pools and you wont deal with it as much but trust me it happens there also . when are they gonna wrte the software to handle this BS??

kenwoodallpromos
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
This from TRA-online:

Updated 10/24/2006 04:05:19 PM

All NY Tracks
All Canadian Tracks

Arlington Park
Atlantic City
Beulah Park
Birmingham Park
Blue Ribbon Downs
Calder
Canterbury
Charles Town Races
Churchill Downs
Colonial Downs
Dayton Days
Delaware County Fair
Delaware Park
Delta Downs
Dover Downs
Downs @ Albuquerque
Ellis Park
Emerald Downs
Evangeline Downs
Fair Grounds
Fair Meadows
Fairmount Park
Finger Lakes
Fonner Park
Great Lakes Downs
Harrington Raceway
Hawthorne
Hoosier Park
Indiana Downs
Keeneland
Laurel Park
Lone Star Park
Los Alamitos
Louisiana Downs
Meadowlands
Monmouth Park
Mountaineer
Mobile Greyhound
Mt. Pleasant Meadows
Northfield Park
Northville Park
Ocean Downs
Penn National Race Course
Pimlico
Plainridge
Pocono Downs
Pompano Park
Prairie Meadows
Remington Park
Retama
Rosecroft Raceway
Ruidoso Downs
Sam Houston
Scioto Downs
Suffolk OTB
Sunland Park
SunRay Park
Tampa Bay Downs
The Meadows
Thistledown
Timonium
Turfway Park
Woodlands

The following tracks have cancel delays ranging from 3 - 10 seconds:

Horsemen’s Park, 10
Turf Paradise, 8
Oaklawn, 7
Freehold Raceway, 5
Les Bois Park, 5
Lincoln Greyhound, 5
Victoryland, 5
Bay Meadows, 4
Del Mar, 4
Fairplex Park, 4
Golden Gate, 4
Hollywood Park, 4
Multnomah, 4
North California Fairs, 4
Oak Tree, 4
Philadelphia Park, 4
Portland Meadows, 4
Santa Anita, 4
Yavapai Downs, 4
Gulfstream Park, 3

Kelso
08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
nope he dropped to that price as the 1st horse loaded in fact his odds really started to decline about 4 min to post and it just got ugly after that . i think the word was out on this horse and his price got pounded accordingly

<snip>

if this bugs you stay with the bigger pools and you wont deal with it as much but trust me it happens there also . when are they gonna wrte the software to handle this BS??

Thanks, Ray. Good advice ... and good question!

Kelso
08-07-2007, 11:40 PM
This from TRA-online:

Updated 10/24/2006 04:05:19 PM

The following tracks have cancel delays ranging from 3 - 10 seconds:

Ken,
I don't understand what this means. Would you please expand on it a bit? Thank you.

startngate
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Cancel delays are an amount of time after "off-time" where a ticket can be cancelled.

Cancel delays are put in at some tracks to protect the tellers from someone walking off without paying for a ticket. Tellers are responsible for their shortages at most tracks, so this keeps them from having to pay for the ticket out of their own pockets if someone bolts.

Usually the cancel delays are established by either a teller's union agreement, or in some cases by State Law, or Commission regulation.

The cancel delays are one of the PRIME reasons for late odds shifts (not the only one mind you), because they delay the transmission of final pools. So, for example, if Horsemen's Park really is still at 10 seconds, it means they can't transmit their final pools until 10 seconds after off time. The pools then have to get to the host track, be calculated, and then sent to the host track's television display feeds. This afftects EVERY track Horsemen's Park bets on, not just their live signal.

Since the CA tracks all appear to be at 4 seconds on this list, that would seem to validate Chickenhead's comment ... :)

I actually had an experience as a teller where the girl working the window next to me had one of our big players call a bet as the bell rang and walked off not realizing the ticket printed. It was a $200 exacta box, so she was in quite the panic. Fortunately, I knew the customer, so I took her to meet him and he paid her for the ticket .... of course it was a winner to the tune of over $15,000 ... and yes, he did tip us both very well ... :D

njcurveball
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the list. I have heard of this before but never seen the details.

When Garden State started simulcasting in the 80s there was a crew at the computers that always bet Freehold after the break. With a half mile harness track, that is quite an advantage!

Kelso
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
The cancel delays are one of the PRIME reasons for late odds shifts (not the only one mind you), because they delay the transmission of final pools.

Thank you for the details, Gate. Sounds like another part of a problem that wouldn't exist if the pools were closed (and final odds posted) prior to the race starting (or, as I support, before the horses load.)

Great story and outcome ... for all three of you!

highnote
08-09-2007, 12:57 AM

Just to play devil's advocate --

Are you certain the bet went through and that he wasn't just getting his cash voucher?

John

cj's dad
08-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Just to play devil's advocate --

Are you certain the bet went through and that he wasn't just getting his cash voucher?

John

I saw the screen, it was clearly a wager on CRC. He hit the "send" button, the ticket printed, "then" he hit the "return balance" button. ticket printed.