IRISHLADSTABLE
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nym

Good4Now
08-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Cubs fan, she's not gonna be happy!

Bubbles
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
So with Glavine already getting to 300, who's going to be next? If Johnson comes back, he'll probably win 14 games and get it, but if not, Mike Mussina looks like he's got a very good shot. He's won 248 games as it is, and he's not even 40 yet. Even with a few more so-so years with that Yankee offense, he'll notch 300 without a great deal of difficulty.

OTM Al
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Mussina is not going to make it unless he is able to reinvent himself. I don't know how much time he's got left with the Yanks, but he's not going to be there much longer. He will not be resigned barring a complete resurrection

cj
08-06-2007, 01:38 PM
So with Glavine already getting to 300, who's going to be next? If Johnson comes back, he'll probably win 14 games and get it, but if not, Mike Mussina looks like he's got a very good shot. He's won 248 games as it is, and he's not even 40 yet. Even with a few more so-so years with that Yankee offense, he'll notch 300 without a great deal of difficulty.

Mussina probably won't make it. He seemed a cinch when he was younger, but he has never quite been the same pitcher since he was brutally drilled in the face with a line drive. Although I grew up hating the Yankees, I would have like to have seen him get a ring. He is a class act.

Marlin
08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Was watching my favorite show Baseball Tonight, and someone said "it may not be done again". Mussina would have to have 5 or 6 years at his current level of play. (he would have to reinvent himself because he certainly won't have that type of longevity) Johnson would be a cinch if he could pitch for a complete season. (I don't think he can) I am thinking it may be a long time until we see it happen again.

OTM Al
08-06-2007, 02:38 PM
That "it may not be done again" stuff is silly. It will be done again. It might be a while, but it will be done again.

ceejay
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
The Cubs' fans were pretty classy last night.

Bubbles
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
That "it may not be done again" stuff is silly. It will be done again. It might be a while, but it will be done again.Completely agreed. I think it's only a matter of time before someone with a gifted pitcher and three rubber-armed starters goes back to a four-man rotation, with a spot starter in there to make one or two starts a month.

Either that, or in 20 years, we're talking about seven and eight-man rotations...

melman
08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think so Bubs and I'll tell you why>>>>>>MONEY. These teams are putting up so much cash for the players that they will "protect" them at any cost. In the minors they have severe pitch counts for all the young arms. I think the records that will never be broken are the most complete games in a season and most complete games in a career. They pay the "set-up man" and the closer far to much money to NOT use them.

ceejay
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Either that, or in 20 years, we're talking about seven and eight-man rotations...and before too long 4 innings with < 4 runs will be considered a "quality start."