PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus software - changing unsuccessfully

ponyplayerdotca
08-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Firstly, I apologize for the long posting. But I figured I better go through it as I lived it if I have any chance to get some sage advice from you guys out there who undoubtedly know more about computers than I. Here it goes:

I have WINDOWS XP as my operating system. I have had this computer since 2003 and have always had NORTON ANTI-VIRUS as my protection software. After reading many posts on the net about how bad NORTON is for what they claim you are getting for protection, I've decided to change software as my current NORTON subscription expires in a couple of days.

So, I went out and bought KASPERSKY version 6.0 at Staples for $50. I read some good things about this product.

I brought it home and installed it. After it completed installation, it recommended a scan of the entire system. It flagged 27 quarantined files that were flagged by my NORTON previously and said the files could not be fixed as the write option was denied (paraphrasing).

Anyway, after the system scan completed, all seemed well. It said to complete installation, you must restart your computer. So I did. And it rebooted successfully, now with the KASPERSKY messages appearing on the welcome screen, and not NORTON's.

Then, I decided to uninstall NORTON from my system, so that KASPERSKY could now be my solo means of protection software.

The uninstall wizard progressed until completion, but I got the endless hourglass result as the uninstallation of NORTON simply didn't complete or end.

After waiting for 30 minutes, I concluded it wasn't going to end, so I rebooted the computer.

The computer rebooted successfully, windows loaded, and KASPERSKY was the dominant securtiy software. However, NORTON was still appearing on the system too, despite trying to uninstall it before it froze up. I figured it didn't erase any NORTON as I tried, so I just went ahead to do some tests.

I tried to open my MICROSOFT OUTLOOK email program to check email (as a test). I got an error message saying something like "program could not open - could not find some of the file components to complete task".

Knowing that I had fudged up something, I decided to reboot my computer to an earlier time.

So, I rebooted again and proceeded to use my NORTON GO BACK system restore to restore my settings back to the start, before any installation of KASPERSKY began. Then I went to bed, to try again this morning.

So, back to square one. My computer booted up normally, with NORTON on it only. I tried installing KASPERSKY again, and it again installed successfully. It again prompted me to restart my computer to complete installation.

However, unlike the last time last night, windows wouldn't reload successfully, giving me that black and white page about "start windows in safe mode? or normally?" or whatever. So, again using NORTON GO BACK, I restored the computer back to the start time before I began installing any KASPERSKY.

Now I have a mere 3 days left on my NORTON subscription and still have not upgraded or changed my security software.

I have a feeling that before I can install KASPERSKY's software at all, I must uninstall NORTON's entirely (so the two programs don't compete or fumble over each other). That's a guess on my part though. My only fear doing it that way is that I have to be connected to the internet during the installation of KASPERSKY. And if I remove NORTON completely first, then connect to the internet, I am totally vulnerable to any attacks initially without anti-virus software activated until I activate the KASPERSKY. Also, if I uninstall NORTON, will that un-quarantine those 27 files and prevent me from booting up properly or connecting to the internet to activate KASPERSKY (thereby rendering my computer dead)?

Is that a concern, or am I imagining things? Worse comes to worse, I just renew my NORTON subscription for the year, and proceed as I always have.

If anyone has any ideas on my plight, please post your thoughts. I appreciate any and all comments. I will be online now for about another hour. However, I am going away for a couple of days. So, my ability to read and try your suggestions might not be today or immediately. I will try to deal with all this when I get back later this week. Be assured, I will read any comments posted here for me. Cheers and thanks for helping. ponyplayerdotca :ThmbUp:

headhawg
08-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Never, ever run two anti-virus programs simultaneously, so before installing the new program uninstall Norton. That said, you can have Norton delete the quarantined files. (They are quarantined because Norton thinks that they contain malware. Why do you want to keep those files on your system anyway?) Even if Kaspersky wants you to be connected to the Internet when you are installing you should be ok. I doubt that you will encounter any new viruses from their site, esp. for the time it takes to do an install.

ponyplayerdotca
08-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the instructions. I have gone into my NORTON quarantine sections and deleted the 29 files listed. I was unaware they were still in there.

I will uninstall NORTON then install KASPERSKY. I had a feeling the two programs were fighting each other. And you have confirmed that with your post.

Hopefully all will go well. Thanks again. ponyplayerdotca

p.s. If my system survives the changeover, and allows me back online (LOL), I will post my results. :ThmbUp:

dutchboy
08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
My suggestion would be to go back using a system restore point from a week ago. Delete Norton, install the new anti-virus program, restart you system. If you decide to do this make sure you are not connected to the internet at the time. The rascals can find an unprotected computer in a few seconds.

Major problems if you ever run more than one a/v program. I did and had to reinstall xp and all other programs.

098poi
08-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Be careful with the system restore (windows). I use HSH and did a restore and it played havoc with the HSH data files. If you use HSH and are going to do a restore I would contact Dave first so he can tell you the best way to do so.

NoDayJob
08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Use AVG free version ---

Tom
08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
AVG slows up doing my mail tot the tune of about 10 minutes on every start up. Finally had to get rid of it - FREE cost me too much!:rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
One last suggestion (although it may be too late).

After you do that system restore, reboot a couple more times. Also, kill everything in the Windows\PreFetch folder.

Finally, I'd run the system for a few minutes... check email, browse, etc. In general, make sure that everything is running fine. Then I'd reboot one more time.

Now install your new anti-virus which, as NDJ recommended, should be AVG Free or (if you've a mind to) the pay-for version. Excellent product.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Hammerhead
08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know how to answer the problem. But What I have done in the last 10 years or so is to empty my start folder. I start every thing from my Icons on the opening screen. I also use optonline which may protect me from on wanted junk. Since having optonline I get no unwanted e-mails or advertisments when I go to different sites. I used to get 30-100 on some days. I use no firewall or any gobbldygoop. Any stuff sent to me is done with my knowlege with few commercials. I think most should get rid of all the garbage that comes with computers. Empty your deleted e-mail folder. Run a syware program once a week. I have used computers since the 1st 4K hooked to your TV, Pong name of the game. I have never had a virus or a busted computer. My bank account has never been compromised All my banking is done online including Stocks and horseracing. Get rid of anything in the start menu!

+

Dave Schwartz
08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Hammerhead,

Just a warning unless you are confused about this... Optonline might protect you from spam but not viruses when you surf the web.

If you do not have some virus protection, you need to get it.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Hammerhead
08-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Your right Dave but optonline also has antivirus built in. Good point, but other
providers may not offer that.

NoDayJob
08-06-2007, 01:07 AM
AVG slows up doing my mail tot the tune of about 10 minutes on every start up. Finally had to get rid of it - FREE cost me too much!:rolleyes:

Who shuts their desktop confuser down??? ;)