PDA

View Full Version : Colonial

jotb
08-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Hello all:

Colonial yesterday had something I don't believe I ever saw before. The first and second race winners had identical payouts. They paid a whopping $123.00.

Joe

Premier Turf Club
08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello all:

Colonial yesterday had something I don't believe I ever saw before. The first and second race winners had identical payouts. They paid a whopping $123.00.

Joe

One of my all-time favorite tracks to play. I could play nothing but grass routes 365 days a year and never get bored.

Zman179
08-04-2007, 12:38 PM
$2 Daily Double 3-3 929.00 :ThmbDown:

:rolleyes:

A parlay would have paid $7564.50

betovernetcapper
08-04-2007, 03:51 PM
There appear to have been 10 tickets sold and I'm going to guess this was someone celebrating his/her 33rd birthday and buying a $20 3-3 combo. :)

jma
08-04-2007, 05:06 PM
$2 Daily Double 3-3 929.00 :ThmbDown:

:rolleyes:

Oh man...another conspiracy that had $2 bet on it. "They" knew the horses were going to win, but they let them go off at 60-1 each...:D

gIracing
08-04-2007, 06:57 PM
usually, even in defeate, or a bomb.. you can point out a reason, a logical one.. why the horse won.

Execpt at times... of course..at Colonial...

"Colonial Downs....where Sh!t happens"

I love it actually. There is going to be a bomb at the track before the day is over.

Certain smaller tracks, although I make the bulk of my money at Arlington/So Cal/Churchill.... you just can't stay away from.

I am always amazed how dumb the betting public at Charles Town can be. I've seen legit horses go off at odds so high some times I had ot recheck my handicapping. I cashed a 35 dollar win ticket I think Thursday on a horse that had no business being more than 3 to 1. horse lost by a nose in the EXACT same class and conditions 2 weeks earlier and was closing like a fraight train....16 to 1.

knowing your turf pedigrees comes in handy at Colonial.. but even that some times has nothing on the horse that has ran dead last 5 times in a row.. on turf... then comes back 2 weeks later and is a daylight winner.

Zman179
08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh man...another conspiracy that had $2 bet on it. "They" knew the horses were going to win, but they let them go off at 60-1 each...:D

No conspiracy, but the double payoff sucked big time. Two 60/1 shots and one can't get a grand?
Yes, I know why it paid so little. As Maxwell Smart would say, "ah, it's the ol' double number trick."

gIracing
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
longshots often get overbet in doubles

Kelso
08-05-2007, 12:02 AM
$2 Daily Double 3-3 929.00

But in order to win 8X more with a parlay, one would have had to assume 62X more risk ... no?

jotb
08-05-2007, 03:07 PM
But in order to win 8X more with a parlay, one would have had to assume 62X more risk ... no?

If you know that double would come back like it did, would anyone wager $2 on the 1st race and parlay the winning money on that 60-1 shot in the 2nd? I have been in situations like that before (not with those odds) and most of the time I would take some of the winnings and wager the rest on the 2nd race. Alot of things run through your head when you have the money in your pocket. All of a sudden you talk yourself out of things. I don't know if it happens to you fella's but it has happened with me.

Joe

Zman179
08-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Nope, same risk. If you bet $2 on the first race, and get $123 in return, you simply bet it all on the second race. If it loses, then all you're out is $2, just like if you had plunked a deuce down in the double.

If you know that double would come back like it did, would anyone wager $2 on the 1st race and parlay the winning money on that 60-1 shot in the 2nd? I have been in situations like that before (not with those odds) and most of the time I would take some of the winnings and wager the rest on the 2nd race. Alot of things run through your head when you have the money in your pocket. All of a sudden you talk yourself out of things. I don't know if it happens to you fella's but it has happened with me.

True, it's different when the cash is in your hand. However, it also depends if you have the minerals to play a true parlay if that was what you were planning to do in the first place.
Sometimes, I'll look at the horse's odds and compare the doubles with what I expect in the second leg. If I think the double is an underlay, then I'll do a parlay. If the first leg hits, then I'll immediately put it all on the second leg; I don't let the money touch my filthy mits. :kiss:

betchatoo
08-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Not sure of the pool in the race, but if you had put $1230 to win (10 tickets on the first $123 winner) on the second horse, his odds would have come down considerably.

jotb
08-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Not sure of the pool in the race, but if you had put $1230 to win (10 tickets on the first $123 winner) on the second horse, his odds would have come down considerably.

Very true!!! In my case taking the $123.00 and wagering that amount on the 2nd race, I'm sure the odds would have been less than 60-1. Cut the odds in half and you still get back more than what the double paid. Now betting $1230 on the horse in the 2nd race the horse might have went off at 10-1 and still get back more than what the doubled paid. The real problem here is, if you are looking at the DD payout and you see the double is only coming back $929 what do you figure your 2nd horse will be at post time in the 2nd race?

Joe

IRISHLADSTABLE
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
One of my all-time favorite tracks to play. I could play nothing but grass routes 365 days a year and never get bored.

PTC,
Good Morning, I couldn't have said it better my self.
Give me a race on the weeds going long and I'm
Happy as a pig in SH*T.
Today's card at the Spa
Race 2 1 3/16 on the turf
Race 4 1 1/16 on the turf
Race 8 The feature race the Museum of Racing Hall of Fame
1 1/8 on the turf .

Enjoy the great card today at the Spa

Jimmy

Pace Cap'n
08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
The real problem here is, if you are looking at the DD payout and you see the double is only coming back $929 what do you figure your 2nd horse will be at post time in the 2nd race?

Joe

Any "Chinese Double" players should have had a field day!