PDA

View Full Version : Last Concorde take off

jognlope
08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I watch plane take off videos all the time, found this one of the gal:

http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/player.html?playerId=245988601&categoryId=255538064&lineupId=44160786&titleId=60818973

OTM Al
08-05-2007, 08:50 AM
This plane is not missed here in NYC. Despite the rules, they would regularly crank up the engines over populated areas rather than waiting a few minutes to get out over the ocean. Its not fun to get shaken out to bed early in the morning. I'm not kidding about the shaking either. It would vibrate apartment buildings and was so damn loud you thought the thing was crashing on your head the first time you heard it.

samyn on the green
08-05-2007, 10:12 AM
The Concorde used to fly abeam my JHS in the 1980's everyday at 9:15am. I used to look for it everyday out of the window on the Belmont visual into RWY 22L at JFK. Yes it was loud but it was graceful and aerodynamic. It was a beautiful creation of European engineering, still on the cutting edge of aerodynamic design 40 years later.

If you don't like airplanes and the noises they make why do people live near airports? Too dumb to assess a location before you commit to it? The airports have been there for longer than most NIMBYs. I live away from the airport now and miss the noise and sight of airliners on approach.

jognlope
08-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Do you live in Howard Beach? I used to live in Brooklyn, then Ridgewood. I heard about that.

OTM Al
08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
It was when I would stay over at the mother in-laws apartment in Rockaway, so not far off. Damn thing sounded like it was coming in the window. Samyn, the other planes weren't a bother and neither would have been the Concorde if they followed the regulations about when they could take the the thing full throttle, but they didn't. They had the thing fully jacked 9 times out of ten from takeoff.

jognlope
08-05-2007, 04:43 PM
This is for you living down on the beautiful Queens coast (I love Jones Beach):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3JxVrSuA0